Author Topic: If u can go back in time and make 1 change to Danny's summer, what do u change?  (Read 23719 times)

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
1. Not drafted Fab Melo
2. signed a legit back up PG

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I came close to putting something similar to this.  But I hate saying things like that, because I honestly don't know what the market really was.  I would like to think that Danny could have played hardball and gotten a better deal, but I am not sure.  If he was cleared physically, then he really does revert to his value a couple years ago...and I think that is basically what he got paid at.
I feel like Danny has been stingy enough in the past (Perk, Tony Allen, etc) that he deserves the benefit of the doubt for this one. If he goes on some mad spending spree of bad contracts and ruins his credibility, that's something else entirely.

Yeah.  Ultimately though, it all comes down to how he plays.  If Green plays like a $10 million player, then I don't think anyone will complain (or at least they shouldn't).

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Who is a legit backup PG who would be playing over Terry or Bradley?

I understand the point, but at some point, you need to just put the best basketball players on the floor, and let them play.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I wanted a PG in the draft, and I love Sacre, so count me on board with the Tony Wroten and Robert Sacre instead of Melo-Joseph.  I'd at least like to have bought a second-rounder to use on a foreign player with the intention of leaving him in Europe for a year or two.  My one criticism of Danny has been his general unwillingness to use Europe as a minor-league system, with the exception of Semih.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
1. reworked the Melo draft pick into 2 lower picks (later 1st and early second) that could have netted 2 good prospects instead of Melo and Joseph.  Melo won't be ready for 2 more years and Joseph will be lucky to crack a 12-man roster this year (and that's with liking what this kid showed during the summer). 

2. signed another backup PG than Dooling.  first because I think there were better options available and second, why resign him only to have him retire and tie up money that could be spent elsewhere.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
1. reworked the Melo draft pick into 2 lower picks (later 1st and early second) that could have netted 2 good prospects instead of Melo and Joseph.  Melo won't be ready for 2 more years and Joseph will be lucky to crack a 12-man roster this year (and that's with liking what this kid showed during the summer). 

It's now a 13-man active roster.  Joseph still won't get much playing time, but he should be active for at least the first part of the season while Avery is recovering (assuming he makes the team.)  Then he'll fight with Christmas or Smith for that 13th spot, unless another forward or guard has gotten injured in the intermediary.  It wouldn't surprise me if he spent most of the season active in Boston, even if he only gets garbage time minutes.

While I would have liked it if Danny could have traded down, I'm not convinced a deal that people would have liked was available.  Trades take someone willing to give you what you want, because there is someone at #22 that they feel is worth giving up additional assets to acquire.  That simply may not have been the case (clearly DA has not hesitated to trade down a couple spots in the past, as he demonstrated with the Johnson-Brooks deal.)  I'd be surprised if calls weren't made to the next 8-10 teams making picks.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
That he'd come to my birthday party  :'(

Otherwise, pretty good.  I'm fine with the Melo pick - it's a position of long-term need and the most expensive position in the league.  He's worth a shot.  Sully was great, we've revamped our bench, gotten younger, more athletic, etc. 

The Green deal wasn't ideal but we don't really know the context.  We needed a backup 3 and he's the best one we could reasonably get.  By the end of the deal, he might well be a fairly inexpensive starting 3.

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
If we had known about Dooling, I bet we'd have given Machado a summer league or training camp invite.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
First change:  sign Birdman instead of Collins

Second change:  draft Perry Jones III over Fab Melo

Third change:  sign a legit backup point guard

Fourth change:  Sign Ray over Courtney Lee

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I understand the point, but at some point, you need to just put the best basketball players on the floor, and let them play.

The one PG in our price range that I would have liked to sign was C.J. Watson. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

You'd have given Ray the money he was asking for?

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Why PJ3 over guys like Wroten, Crowder, Taylor, or Dray Green?

After we already got Sullinger, why address it further with another 4?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

You'd have given Ray the money he was asking for?

Yeah, I get the idea of preferring Ray in a vacuum.  But paying him $9 mill a year - and being forced to bid against ourselves to do it - makes it a non-starter for me.

And it's not just about the money - if Danny caves on a request like that you'd better believe other agents would start pressing him for it.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

The one PG in our price range that I would have liked to sign was C.J. Watson.

He would have been nice.  But I don't think he would see the court if the C's are healthy. 

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I probably would have told Green to get any offer from another team, then see if i wanted to match. i just don't think a single team with capspace was going to offer him close to what we did.