Author Topic: If u can go back in time and make 1 change to Danny's summer, what do u change?  (Read 23765 times)

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'd have resigned Marquis before he went elsewhere.

Right now he could have been the guy giving us some backup minutes at the PG spot and would have made decent end-of-bench insurance for positions 1 through 3.

I would rather have him then any of the young rookies we'e played in the preseason so far, and he'd give us insurance at the SF spot behind Pierce and Green as well.

We resigned Dooling instead which I was pretty happy with, but once he retired unexpectedly it left me immediately thinking that I wish we had Quis...
true and marquis plays good defense AND doesn't need to play for stretches but would still give it his all
that said joseph draft could have worked against marquis at sf and sg we are stacked
don't remember if md signed at vet min? glad he is still playing at the least

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Right now he could have been the guy giving us some backup minutes at the PG spot and would have made decent end-of-bench insurance for positions 1 through 3.

I would rather have him then any of the young rookies we'e played in the preseason so far, and he'd give us insurance at the SF spot behind Pierce and Green as well.

We resigned Dooling instead which I was pretty happy with, but once he retired unexpectedly it left me immediately thinking that I wish we had Quis...
true and marquis plays good defense AND doesn't need to play for stretches but would still give it his all
that said joseph draft could have worked against marquis at sf and sg we are stacked
don't remember if md signed at vet min? glad he is still playing at the least

Have to agree and give the not-having-Quisy situation as the biggest bummer of the offseason.  He's a good guy to have.

And with Bradley out to start the season and Dooling retiring, he would probably have had some minutes and could give Lee competition for minutes as well.

But mostly I like the guy.  Probably for the same reason Doc seemed to:  his versatility.

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I would have had Danny release a bogus injury report on Nicholson so he could have fell to us in the draft.  Have a feeling he's gonna be good.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
FYI to all you Moore fans (lol) this dude was 2-13 from the field and 1-4 from 3pt...With 4 Turnovers Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.!

he sorry glad he gone

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I see that he had a decent first pre-season game with the Cavs or whoever, but I can't fault Ainge for not resigning him.  Even when he was healthy with Boston, Quisey's production wasn't anything special and he became worse than Ben Wallace on offense last season.  Dude was painful to watch.

Mike 

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Much as I loved Quisy , we are better off with Courtney Lee . WHo can do the same things and is younger and healthier .and can handle the ball and rebound as good or better. 

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I would have signed T-Mac for the minimum. He was fine riding pine last season for Atlanta and he'd do the same here. I like what I've seen from Joseph but he's not NBA ready and one injury at the SF position and we're crippled. None of our PFs can play SFm they aren't quick enough. None of our SGs can effectively play SF, they aren't tall enough. No not even Courtney Lee.

Since T-Mac is in China I'd probably try to get Ryan Gomes to come here for peanuts. If not Gomes then maybe Josh Howard would come here to chase his Championship. Someone who is 6'7" and has a reasonable record playing in the NBA just so we don't end up in a "Ryan Hollins" type situation. Ever. Again.

I'd talk about the PG situation but really there aren't any good options there in free-agency. We'd have to trade for someone and if it were up to me I'd make a play at getting Scott Machado from the Rockets. Maybe a 2nd rounder? I wouldn't go crazy though.

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
I'm thinking the surprise might come from Micah Downs...
If he can play strong defense, I think he could make the team!
I want to see him play more in the coming games...

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm thinking the surprise might come from Micah Downs...
If he can play strong defense, I think he could make the team!
I want to see him play more in the coming games...

I guess anything is possible . . . except maybe for Micah Downs' chances of making the Boston Celtics.  That's right up there with flying pigs.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I think it would've been worth throwing 8 million or so at Ray so that way Miami doesn't get him.  Other than that, I'm not sure what else he could've done (as far as guys like Camby, Birdman, Barnes).

Rondo/Ray/Paul/Bass/KG
Terry/Bradley/Green/Sullinger/Wilcox or Darko
Moore/Joseph/JJJ/Melo

That's under the thresh-hold, depending on Johnson's salary, but he could be easily traded for a pick or we could go into the season with only 13 guys.
Ray had his mind made up midseason that he wanted to go there, I didn't believe the chatter from multiple sources then but turns out it was all true. It still disgusts me.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Jason Collins... way too soon of a pick-up

fitzhickey

Not signing Collins and signing someone else like t-mac or arenas

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I see that he had a decent first pre-season game with the Cavs or whoever, but I can't fault Ainge for not resigning him.  Even when he was healthy with Boston, Quisey's production wasn't anything special and he became worse than Ben Wallace on offense last season.  Dude was painful to watch.

I didn't even see Marquis' preseaon game, but I'm going not off the numbers he gave us, but the TALENT he gave us.

Here's a list Marquis' talents we have utilised over the years:

1. Good ball handler who rarely has unforced turnovers
2. Solid passer and good decision maker
3. Good at controlling the pace of the game
5. Cool under pressure, not easilly rattled
6. Solid offensive and defensive rebounder for a guard
7. High IQ on both ends of the floor
8. Good post-up game for a guard
9. Capable of attacking and scoring off the dribble
10. Solid midrange jumper
11. Can comfortably defend PG, SG and SF positions
12. Knows (and is a perfect fit in) the Celtics system
13. Great hustle / energy guy
14. Great locker room presence

On top of all that he is a true professional - he's loyal and he'll hapilly sit on the end of the bench without complaining, yet when he's name is called he's always ready to play.

After Rondo, Quis' was the closest thing we had to a 'true PG' when he was on the court because he geniunely controlled the pace of the game and he made the right play.

Right now we are missing Marquis because we don't have a proper backup PG who can do those things.  If Green or Pierce goes down we will miss Marquis because we won't have a legit backup SF.  If Lee or Terry goes down before Bradley comes back we will miss Marquis because we won't have a legit backup SG.

Consider all of the above, and then consider the fact that he would have cost us nothing more than a vet min contact and a seat on the bench.  For the type of insurance he offers at three positions, that is a bargain. 

He is a "Swiss army knife" type of player who fills so many roles at cost of practiclaly nothing - I was rooting for us to resign him all along, and I guarantee you that at some point this year he is going to be deeply missed.

You name me ANYONE outside of out top 11 players who can offer all of the above for a vet min deal?

Jamar Smith is a shot jacker, Christmas doesn't look NBA ready, Joseph doesn't seem to do much at all and all the other young guys have been utterly useless.

Hell if I'm Doc right now I'd be asking Ainge to work out a deal that sends Christmas and Joseph out return for Quis!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 03:24:46 AM by crimson_stallion »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Much as I loved Quisy , we are better off with Courtney Lee . WHo can do the same things and is younger and healthier .and can handle the ball and rebound as good or better.

Quis is a veteran minimum guy and we never would have had to choose between him and Lee.  If we signed Quis we would been in addition to Lee.

The guys we have basically signed instead of Lee right now are Joseph, Jamar Smith and the other rookies who will be lucky to make the team...let alone actually play.