Author Topic: Doc hinting at starting Sullinger over Bass?  (Read 19752 times)

Re: Doc hinting at starting Sullinger over Bass?
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2012, 12:50:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think Sully will eventually be starting. But, I believe Doc will make Sully take it away from Bass during the regular season or rather earn it., out of respect for Bass if nothing else.

I just don't see how this is Bass' role to lose. He wasn't brought here to be a starter. He became a starter last year by default because of injuries.

« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2012, 03:32:26 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Sully is a solid player but his PnR defense is absolutely atrocious. He was getting abused by a freaking guy who was playing in Belgium last year.

Until Sully shows some ability to recover on defense on PnR's hard to see him starting..

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2012, 04:03:07 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I think Sully will eventually be starting. But, I believe Doc will make Sully take it away from Bass during the regular season or rather earn it., out of respect for Bass if nothing else.

I just don't see how this is Bass' role to lose. He wasn't brought here to be a starter. He became a starter last year by default because of injuries.

This is definitely true, however there is a lot of 'hope' out there that Sullinger will win the role as if it was Bass spot to begin with. I guess there is some truth and drama to enjoy but frankly I wouldnt be surprised if Green or Sullinger ended up being the starter.

I also would not be surprised to see Darko starting with KG at the PF.

It all makes for a good bit of camp battle excitement doesnt it?
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2012, 04:31:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
AS long as Sully and Green continue to produce , they need to be on the floor.

« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2012, 04:50:25 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

And they will, rest assure. The key now IMHO is for Doc to find out the best combinations and use all of this depth Danny has given him. We have a lot of guys who can get it done. My fear is that Doc will stick with veterans as is his history and not play the younger players as much as they need to be played.

It's all about trust I think.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

And they will, rest assure. The key now IMHO is for Doc to find out the best combinations and use all of this depth Danny has given him. We have a lot of guys who can get it done. My fear is that Doc will stick with veterans as is his history and not play the younger players as much as they need to be played.

It's all about trust I think.

KG seems to be happy to sit and watch the younger guys Green , Lee and Sully dunk on people.

Somehow , I don't Pierce , JET or KG have actually turned it on yet during preseason.  They seem to be just cruzing along at about 75% energy , then exit the game.

Gonna be wild when they finally let go at Miami.

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2012, 10:37:45 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Doesn't he say stuff like this every year?

Team is ridiculously deep right now - will be fun to see things shake out.

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2012, 10:49:33 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I honestly don't have a problem either way.  As long as there is a fairly consistent rotation being utilized.  I'd rather players get comfortable in a role and playing with certain people than who is the starter and who is coming off the bench, while I do think Sully would excel better against second units, especially to start the season.

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I really think Doc knows that Sully is the better fit with the starters (against most teams), and Bass is the better option off the bench.  But, he is treading lightly right now, to keep Bass engaged.  He wants to make sure he can say that Sully "earned" the starting spot. 

« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2012, 01:16:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
I really think Doc knows that Sully is the better fit with the starters (against most teams), and Bass is the better option off the bench.  But, he is treading lightly right now, to keep Bass engaged.  He wants to make sure he can say that Sully "earned" the starting spot.

I agree totally, by making Sully earn the spot , Doc keeps his word as a fair players coach.

Doc was as fair with Allen as possible, I think he'll be the same with Bass. Nothing wrong with a little competition to earn a spot.  I would think being a starter gives you leverage in contracts.  If Bass out plays Sully , don't think the move will come fast if a all. Seems to me Bass seems more activate around the basket past preseason games .

Bass is big fellow , IMO he needs to be much more physical around the basket.

Also think Sully is gonna be even better in a few months, he may still be growing at only 20.   
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:22:48 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2012, 08:31:16 AM »

Offline GregKite

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
That's an overlooked possibility - Sullinger could possibly grow another inch or two. This doesn't seem to happen much in the NBA, but it is physically possible.

I wonder if all the jumping and landing on a hard surface (much more in an NBA season than a college basketball season) reduces the likelihood of a player who enters the league "early" reaching their full potential height. In fact, that would make an interesting research study if there were any remote chance of getting accurate data.

« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2012, 08:35:57 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
That's an overlooked possibility - Sullinger could possibly grow another inch or two. This doesn't seem to happen much in the NBA, but it is physically possible.

I wonder if all the jumping and landing on a hard surface (much more in an NBA season than a college basketball season) reduces the likelihood of a player who enters the league "early" reaching their full potential height. In fact, that would make an interesting research study if there were any remote chance of getting accurate data.

Shedding weight and lifting could make him grow.

He'd be one of the top 50 draft steals in NBA history.