Author Topic: Doc hinting at starting Sullinger over Bass?  (Read 19791 times)

Doc hinting at starting Sullinger over Bass?
« on: October 10, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/2012/10/09/celtics-jeff-green-contributing-off-the-bench/zVryccX9FBIYp8QcCkuMDJ/story.html

“Oh I’d like to get comfortable with that,” Rivers said. “That was terrific [to see the bench thrive]. With our team, we’re just going to keep searching. In the past, we had to search for the right starting lineup. I think this year we have to search for the right second lineup and we may take a starter out of the starting lineup and play him in the second lineup because it may fit him better. It will be interesting. We’re just going to keep moving guys around.”

I don't think he is talking about Jeff Green because we need his versatility off the bench. Also don't think it's Bradley because we saw how good he was as a starter last year.

As many other people on here have already said Sully's low post game fits better with KG's shooting and Bass' shooting fits better with Darko being in the low post.

SO glad this kid dropped to us. He will bring much needed rebounding, garbage points and someone to go to in the low post.

Re: Doc hinting at starting Sullinger over Bass?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 09:20:42 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Humm..
I'd have say that sounds like a wake up call for Brandon Bass, or a get ready to come off the bench notice to me. Need to see a couple more pre season games to be sure.

I think Bradley will play his way back to a starter postion at some point in the year .
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:16:16 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:22:02 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Honestly, I like it.  Regardless of who is the "better" player, I like Bass coming off the bench, as a more explosive player, and Sully as more of a facilitator with the stars in the starting lineup. 

Sully is at his best setting screens, moving the ball, and getting position for rebounds, which is what they need with the starters.  Bass is at his best jumping around, and hitting jumpers.

I would love to see what Bass and Green can do in a pick and roll game.

Even last year, I think most people agreed that Bass was ideally a 6th man, who was forced into the starting lineup.  This might allow him to return to his ideal role.

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 09:36:30 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
I'm not an expert or coach , just an average fan , but it seemed that Sully looked very confident , relaxed , and at home paired up with the starters.

Sully seems to embrace the role of rebounder , garbage man, inside scorer. Bass doesn't see himself in this light, his work around the basket is more by chance than instinct.

Futhermore Sully seems to have already earned the "TRUST" of his teammates., to make the correct play on offense.

At 20 years old, he  is making mostly right moves and earning the attention. can't ignore this.

I guess bluntly put...who would you rather have standing under the rim with the ball ....Bass or Sully ?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:19:34 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
sully starting the 2nd preseason game should have been a big wakeup call to the sully doubters.

All this talk about bass being known and sully being an unknown entity. sullys been a known entity to doc since sullys sophomore or junior year of high school. Docs been a big fan for at least 4 years.

Sully would have started over bass last year if he had come out and celtics traaded for a top 4 pick.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:49:22 AM by IndeedProceed »

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 09:54:53 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Doc could also be talking about starting Green over Pierce.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 09:55:44 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Doc's been hinting about starting Sully for awhile now.  I think he prefers Bass with the second unit, and Sully learning to play off KG.

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 10:05:24 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Take anything Doc says with grain of salt. He speaks in hyperbole. I'll believe it when Doc follows through with it. For now, my speculation would be Avery playing point-guard for second unit. which makes a lot of sense. 

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 10:06:29 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Doc could also be talking about starting Green over Pierce.

Mike

I don't think this is a likely.

Doc's been hinting about starting Sully for awhile now.  I think he prefers Bass with the second unit, and Sully learning to play off KG.

I'd be cool with this, but still pretty surprised if it is how it went down. I still think KG/Darko, Bass/KG are both more likely starting frontcourts.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't see us putting Darko in the starting line up, just not good enough to earn it. Plus Doc has said that KG is going to stay at C.

I think Bass and then Sullinger are the leading candidates, depending on how they both play.

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 10:11:17 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

Yup..I think this is the direction Doc is going,  Bass and KG both have that outside jumper which I see as redundant.  Sully being able to flash to bucket with doubles on PP and KG , plus Rondo is already obviously looking for Sully .

What has bothered me past few years is the ONE and DONE shot on the offensive end.  We toss up a shot and it seems thats it , just one oppotunity to get it in the hole. While many teams ( CHICAGO) for example will get sometimes 3 or 4 putbacks. ??? LA always gets 3-6 putbacks till they get it in the hole.

Sully , doesn't stop playing after ball is launched. 

Sully understands lost art of BLOCKING OUT .

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 10:17:38 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
All this talk about bass being known and sully being an unknown entity. sullys been a known entity to doc since sullys sophomore or junior year of high school. Docs been a big fan for at least 4 years.
Right, because Sullinger has played against NBA-caliber big men ever since his junior year in high school.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 10:30:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well if you want to hide Sully's lack of defensive abilities and still maximize his abilities as a productive offensive player, there's no better way of doing it than making him play with the starters most of his minutes.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 10:32:33 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Well if you want to hide Sully's lack of defensive abilities and still maximize his abilities as a productive offensive player, there's no better way of doing it than making him play with the starters most of his minutes.
Except that making him play against taller, starting-caliber PFs is probably not maximizing his abilities as a productive offensive player.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 10:37:48 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Except that making him play against taller, starting-caliber PFs is probably not maximizing his abilities as a productive offensive player.

The backup PFs are often taller or more athletic than him too.  That's not going to change.  But when he is playing with guys like Rondo and KG, he is going to benefit a lot more by being left alone, and he is also going to get a lot more switches by running picks for Pierce and whoever the SG is.