Author Topic: Josh Smith would not significantly upgrade our team..  (Read 14772 times)

Re: Josh Smith would not significantly upgrade our team..
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2012, 07:11:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't like the guy much. Not a fan.

I don't want him because he falls into the level of player that annoys me. 

The really good defensive player that is a secondary player on offense but is payed like a star.

Think Wallace all those years in Charlotte.  Would love to see that play on your team but not at the cost of other talent because of a cap choking overpay. 

Re: Josh Smith would not significantly upgrade our team..
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2012, 02:04:53 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I think Smith + Rondo would work beautifully together offensively - very similar to the Nash/Marion duo that was so potent in Phoenix.  The Smith/KG frontcourt pairing is also extremely appealing.

Very difficult to construct a deal that would be pleasing to Atlanta though.  If Jeff Green can play his way into positive trade value, maybe.

I think there is a HUGE difference offensively with Nash/Marion from Rondo/Smith, because of the dramatically different shooting abilities.  But, defensively, Rondo and Smith would be a scary combination.

I agree that there just aren't many deals that make much sense for both teams though.

Not that huge.  Rondo compares pretty favorably to Nash as a transition creator (the most powerful aspect of the Nash/Marion tandem).  Smith, like Marion, needs a great transition PG to become a highly efficient scorer (Marion, though a better distance shooter, never outpaced Smith in TS% except when paired with Nash or Kidd).

Of course there's the difference between Nash and Rondo's shooting, but the point is, Rondo could make Smith a weapon like Marion was with Nash.

I've seen Kidd and Martin thrown out as a comparison too, which is solid, but I think Smith would be quite a bit more potent/efficient than Martin.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri