Author Topic: The league is packed with talent right now and I think it might be due to HGH  (Read 23539 times)

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
I am honestly extremely surprised at the amount of people in this thread, that I consider very bright and intelligent people, who think just modern medicine and modern dietary and training techniques are the reason we see super cut and muscular NBA players on just about every NBA team.

PED use is rampant in all major professional sports and also "amateur" sports like track and field and Olympic events.

The NBA has one of the least stringent PED tests in professional sports anywhere in the world.

The NBA definitely has lots of people on PEDs, many stars included. It's just not going to become an issue because people don't want it to be one. But once the International Anti Doping Agency starts making a bigger and bigger stink about some of the PED testing in American sports, it will become an issue and I think we will see a change in the looks of some players and the quickness with which they return from injury.
If it's true, i hope the crackdown on PEDs happens after KG retires.  The guy is beasting for us at his age... still our most valuable player.  Without the big man, we aren't going anywhere in the playoffs this year.

Yeah a skinny twig who can play 5 minute spurts has ped written all over it

Hes our most valuable because hes our only good tall player...he gets dominated just about every night. This is not Tim Duncan. In 2009 we almost made the conference finals without kg. He made it out of the first round one time as a non Celtic and we would go further without him then we would without rondo...which isn't far. We have 2 mvps drop the schtick
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:43:17 AM by scaryjerry »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I am honestly extremely surprised at the amount of people in this thread, that I consider very bright and intelligent people, who think just modern medicine and modern dietary and training techniques are the reason we see super cut and muscular NBA players on just about every NBA team.

PED use is rampant in all major professional sports and also "amateur" sports like track and field and Olympic events.

The NBA has one of the least stringent PED tests in professional sports anywhere in the world.

The NBA definitely has lots of people on PEDs, many stars included. It's just not going to become an issue because people don't want it to be one. But once the International Anti Doping Agency starts making a bigger and bigger stink about some of the PED testing in American sports, it will become an issue and I think we will see a change in the looks of some players and the quickness with which they return from injury.
If it's true, i hope the crackdown on PEDs happens after KG retires.  The guy is beasting for us at his age... still our most valuable player.  Without the big man, we aren't going anywhere in the playoffs this year.

Yeah a skinny twig who can play 5 minute spurts has ped written all over it

Hes our most valuable because hes our only good tall player...he gets dominated just about every night. This is not Tim Duncan. In 2009 we almost made the conference finals without kg. He made it out of the first round one time as a non Celtic and we would go further without him then we would without rondo...which isn't far. We have 2 mvps drop the schtick

Dominated every night? I think you are mistaken. Sorry I can't respond to some of that nonsense.

But if someone wanted to speculate about KG and hgh its not too far fetched. He had almost a career ending injury at an advanced and just look at him last year. Everyone noticed a huge change. I think peoples thoughts were hgh, contract year, or KG and the team just playing lights out.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Quick....pop quiz....how many seasons has Al Harrington (and Rashard Lewis) been in the league?  This will be their 16th. They're 33 and 34.  Do you think maybe the league has a little too much talent in it, and that maybe it's due to HGH and PEDs?  Folks they were drafted in the last century.  And KG makes them look like babies.  The players entering the league in the next year or two WERE NOT BORN when KG was drafted. The top players in the 2015 draft weren't even conceived!

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Rule of thumb: If you don't blame it on Rondo, you blame it on HGH.

Kiorrik

Simply put: I doubt I have more knowledge of this than DRose, so I do believe there's some truth to what he says.

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
It's a big possibility.  I wouldn't rule it out at all

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
The fact is that until the NBA has a comprehensive and transparent testing system in place, it is likely that a number of players (stars included) are taking advantage of illegal substances to help increase or maintain their level of play.

It is naive to assume NBA players are ignoring substances that baseball players, football players, track and field stars, olympians, and even golfers are using.

And, the testing system in the NBA is a joke.  Players are warned ahead of time about tests.  Didn't Lance Armstrong prove that any athlete in the world could cheat the testing system even when tests were random???  NBA players know the tests are coming.  Of course they can find ways around testing positive.  Also, HGH has never been tested, and that is one of the main forms of cheating that is probably taking place.  Most NBA players don't need anabolic steroids, but HGH and other hormonal and blood doping is right up the NBA athlete's alley.

Lame excuses about dieticians and physical trainers were around in every other sport where excessive cheating has been uncovered.  Is overall general health and athleticism up?  Yes.  But, does it negate the possibility that players are cheating?  No.  So, let's get some comprehensive and transparent testing.

For things to change, two things have to happen:

1) Fans and/or the media get behind comprehensive and transparent testing (with substantial punishment).  Articles are written.  Petitions are sent to NBA and team headquarters.  Demand has to be that the game is clean.  We saw this in MLB.

2) Players get behind comprehensive and transparent testing (with substantial punishment).  It took a decade, but we're finally seeing this in MLB.

Personally, as a fan of the game of basketball (and baseball), I want a clean game, and I want cheaters banned for life.  That's just me.

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Just make PEDs legal, so whoever wants to take it can. What's the use of technological advancement in science and medicine if humans can't take advantage of it??
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Duped again.  Lebron' s cranium is growing because he's prepping himself for a role in Tarantino' s "From Dusk Til Dawn 2"
Yup

Kiorrik

Duped again.  Lebron' s cranium is growing because he's prepping himself for a role in Tarantino' s "From Dusk Til Dawn 2"
Aw. Halfway through that line I thought I was looking at a Coneheads reference :(

Also, wouldn't that be, like, "From Dusk 'till Dawn 18" by now? (no really, they've got like 3 or 4?)

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
There are likely a lot of guys using, but I'm one of those people who doesn't really care. I just want to be entertained.

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Aw. Halfway through that line I thought I was looking at a Coneheads reference :(

Also, wouldn't that be, like, "From Dusk 'till Dawn 18" by now? (no really, they've got like 3 or 4?)
I was actually thinking about the sequel possibility on my way to work yesterday.  I only saw the first one, but I seem to recall there being some crappy follow ups too.

Too lazy to look on imdb
Yup

Kiorrik

I was actually thinking about the sequel possibility on my way to work yesterday.  I only saw the first one, but I seem to recall there being some crappy follow ups too.

Too lazy to look on imdb
So was I, and too lazy to look through my DVD's too, as I'm sure I have at least 2 of them.

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I think peds are a major problem in the NBA

Ridiculous to make them legal. It would essentially be forcing every player to have to use them in order to level out the playing field

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
There are likely a lot of guys using, but I'm one of those people who doesn't really care. I just want to be entertained.

TP for an honest opinion. I think that this sentiment is shared by many NBA and NFL fans, and sadly to me, a growing number of MLB fans.

The slippery slope here, for me, of allowing/condoning/"legalizing" PEDs for everyone is the PED floodgates opening for kids in high school. As a current coach and guidance counselor, I see the use (abuse)now. I can't imagine what would happen if PEDs were accepted in the major sports. 

Not sure what message that we are sending these kids.