Author Topic: The last roster spot  (Read 10908 times)

Re: The last roster spot
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 05:22:19 AM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
Having a 4th guard with experience is more important than going into the season with THREE projects (if you don't count Sullinger).

It is possible to have a 4th guard who is neither experienced nor a project.

You mean, like Lee/Bradley? Or are we talking about our potential 5th guard?

I think we are talking about the 4th guard while Bradley is out.  My idea of a useful player in that role who is neither an experienced NBA veteran nor a project is finding a mature player with NBA talent who failed to catch on in the league but matured overseas (and/or perhaps the D-League) for a few years and is capable of contributing immediately.

Iverson? I think, though, he signed for an Israeli team for like 2 games.. Maybe give him a shot?
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 11:50:48 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

It's too bad Bo McCalebb isn't available!!!

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
think that boston needs to cut them both and bring in a legit back up PG.
Christmas is poor on defense and Smith is not NBA talent

1. Rondo
2. Lee
3. PP
4. Bass
5. KG
6. JET
7. Sully
8. Green
9. Bradley
10. Collins
11. Darko
12. Fab (will most likely be D leagued)
13. Joseph (D-League)
14. Back up PG brought in
15. Wilcox

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Having a 4th guard with experience is more important than going into the season with THREE projects (if you don't count Sullinger).

It is possible to have a 4th guard who is neither experienced nor a project.

You dont need a fourth guard. Pierce is comfortable bringing the ball up and running the offense if necessary.
Doc could play Pierce at the 2 and go with a bigger lineup which would be better than giving time court time to Christmas,Joseph, or Smith.

With Wilcox health iffy. I would prefer to sign another big.

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
think that boston needs to cut them both and bring in a legit back up PG.
Christmas is poor on defense and Smith is not NBA talent

1. Rondo
2. Lee
3. PP
4. Bass
5. KG
6. JET
7. Sully
8. Green
9. Bradley
10. Collins
11. Darko
12. Fab (will most likely be D leagued)
13. Joseph (D-League)
14. Back up PG brought in
15. Wilcox

I am guessing they will.  Although I wouldn't hold your breath for it to happen before December or January.  I think they are going to hold out as long as they can, to see if someone good shakes free.  But Xmas will be gone before his contract is guaranteed, to make room for a veteran emergency PG.

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2012, 08:50:48 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Collins is worse than advertised. How he's on this team is mind blowing to me. If there is any minutes behind Wilcox, Sullinger, and Milicic i'd like to see Fabulous get them over Collins.

I was shocked by how immobile he was. He was late on almost every rotation and defense is supposed to be his bread and butter. Let's be real here he wasn't brought to this team for his offense at all. So to see him struggle defensively was very frustrating.

Please, if anyone saw anything positive in his play let me know because right now im very depressed he has a spot on this team. Maybe someone has seen something i've missed but he seems like a guy that is a complete waste of a roster spot. Can anyone help me see the light?

He is still a strong one on one defender down low. 

He has a role on this team, but the role is not needed against every team.

Exactly.  He is really only going to be useful against a handful of teams.  But he should be very valuable in those situations.
Collins is there to throw his body into Bynum and Howard...and maybe Chandler and Cousins...and that's it. Six hard fouls on a handful of big centers. Otherwise, he sits on the bench, probably in street clothes, and cheers.

Or Marc Gasol/Randolph, or Monroe/Drummond, or Deandre Jordan/Griffin, or Al Jefferson/ Milsap, etc, etc. I dont get the people that think there are no big men left in the NBA. Even Dallas, Kaman and Nowitski. I could go on but hopefully you get the point.

KG is great at the 5 but Depth is a good thing as we play out this 5 minute thing with him. Collins is also on a guaranteed contract even if it is the minimum. He knows he is jut a warm body, we need him this year as an emergency backup center while Melo develops. Besides, we signed him before we knew we would get Darko.

We need 20 mpg at the 5 spot behind KG. Collins will be part of that number.

No need to put a stopper like Jason Collins on the floor when the opponent's center is as limited offensively as those names in bold (D.Jordan, T.Chandler, A.Drummond).

Boston will be better off putting extra offense on the floor against those players. They are not strong enough offensively to punish the smaller (weaker) defender. And the added offense boosts Boston's offense + stops their interior defender (say Tyson Chandler) from camping out in the paint and helping freely and often off of someone as limited as Jason Collins (offensively).

A guy like Jason Collins - because of all his weaknesses (mainly offensively, also possession creation) - is only really valuable when he has someone to stop. A quality offensive threat to limit. Without that type of matchup, Boston is better off playing smaller.

I'd argue that Chandler is capable of punishing a smaller defender -- I think his problem is that Anthony might not recognize this.  Also, going too much smaller exposes the defense to offensive rebounds, which has been an Achilles heel for years.

That said, I do not expect Collins to see the floor in most competitive games where KG and Darko are healthy.  Fortunately, I don't think Collins does either, so that won't be a locker room issue.  He knows his role.

I just dont agree. Example: If we play the Knicks, KG has to match up with Amare when he is on the floor. Otherwise we hope Green can handle him. This leaves Chandler with Bass, Darko or Sullinger. We also have the likelihood of dealing with Camby for a few minutes. As Saltlover said, we will quite possibly get punished by rebounding here.

I think it is likely that we have a lineup of KG with Collins or Darko for a few minutes during these games, especially if Darko gets a couple of fouls. Sullinger and Bass will not cut it in these situations IMHO.

It is likely that we have 15 mpg of Darko and 5 mpg of Collins backing up KG as average numbers accounting for foul trouble and matchups. The small lineup will be used when we can get away with it. The problem is, we have never gotten away with a small lineup that doesnt include KG as our 5.

Who will take that role when KG is on the bench?
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 10:36:55 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
just hope that doc gives preseason playing time to Micah Downs. :) i'm seeing a really poor man's version of AK47 from this video.lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb1oW0XFMos&feature=related

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 10:49:32 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'd love to see the Celtics bring back Marquis Daniels. 

Yes, he's not quite lived up to expectations during his time here, but his versatility, defense, and ability to handle DNP-CDs and then step in would be very valuable for this team. 

I really like the idea that he could step in and play tough defense at the 1, 2, or 3 spots at any moment throughout the year, which largely deals with our depth problems at the 1 and 3 spots and would allow use to hold onto to the best of the three young guys (Christmas, Smith, and Joseph) without having to take into account position. 

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 11:02:50 AM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Yes, he's not quite lived up to expectations during his time here, but his versatility, defense, and ability to handle DNP-CDs and then step in would be very valuable for this team. 

I really like the idea that he could step in and play tough defense at the 1, 2, or 3 spots at any moment throughout the year, which largely deals with our depth problems at the 1 and 3 spots and would allow use to hold onto to the best of the three young guys (Christmas, Smith, and Joseph) without having to take into account position.
Marquis signed with the Bucks, so he's off the table.

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Oops, must have missed that. 

I would, however, love someone like him, that could step in and provide a steady hand and multiple backcourt positions. 

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2012, 11:08:57 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Oh, good for him. I didn't know that.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2012, 01:25:06 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
From all I've heard and the little I've seen I'd give Micah Downs a try at 3rd string SF. I had an idea for trading Bass to get one but I'm certainly on board with him if he's the defender people are claiming he is. I also don't think either Christmas or Smith are ready for NBA play, at least not on this team.

I'd like to see him in a few more preseason games before I give him any guaranteed $ but I'm certainly up for giving a guy with work ethic and defensive skills a try. I bet KG is too :)

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2012, 01:27:35 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
From all I've heard and the little I've seen I'd give Micah Downs a try at 3rd string SF. I had an idea for trading Bass to get one but I'm certainly on board with him if he's the defender people are claiming he is. I also don't think either Christmas or Smith are ready for NBA play, at least not on this team.

I'd like to see him in a few more preseason games before I give him any guaranteed $ but I'm certainly up for giving a guy with work ethic and defensive skills a try. I bet KG is too :)

Trade Bass, who'll be either our starting PF or our first big off the bench for a 3rd string SF?

Explain to me how that makes any sort of sense.

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Trade Bass, who'll be either our starting PF or our first big off the bench for a 3rd string SF?

Explain to me how that makes any sort of sense.

There are tons of answers to that. Here is my favorite.

If we can move Bass's salary for someone who makes less and has a shorter contract it gives Sullinger the space he needs to grow into an NBA star and if gives us money next year to spend.

It also gives us depth at a place where we don't have it and, as I posted previously, gets rid of some of the overlap we have at PF. I wouldn't trade a dominant PF who has post moves for a 3rd string SF. I would trade a pick and pop guy who can't rebound well when we have 2 other guys who fit that description at his position, albeit maybe not as well. I will miss his FT shooting.

Also in my trade scenario with the Bucks we're trading for a guy who is the same age, a better defender and cheaper. Oh and he plays at a position we aren't 3-4 deep at.

I want to stress that I don't intent to trade Bass for nothing. I think he's a good player. I just think we have at least 2 guys who do most of what he does and some things he doesn't.