Author Topic: Depth and Rotations  (Read 902 times)

Depth and Rotations
« on: October 13, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
With the depth we are being blessed with this season, I see a possible 10 or 11 player deep group of rotation level players.

For example, assuming a starting lineup of:

Rondo
Lee
Paul
Bass
KG

We still have:

Jet
AB (when healthy)
Green
Sullinger
Wilcox (when healthy)
Darko

Not counting:

Melo
Collins
Your favorite of Joseph, Christmas, Smith or TBD

So with the current health status we have 9 players who IMHO are good enough to be in the rotation right now. When AB and Wilcox are healthy you add two more.

This all brings up two questions:

Will Doc go 10-11 deep and can the team function at a high level with that many variations of lineups? Will people not getting playing time cause problems? We will likely shorten any rotation for the playoffs as everyone knows. Injuries could effect this some I realize.

Secondly, does this make Danny see anyone or more of these as trade bait early? Was this Danny's plan all along? I think there is obvious value in the top 10-12 that will be on display for at least the preseason.

I know Doc must love having all this talent to play with and put together. I would like to keep the group together at least until after the first of the year. Unless of course we get a chance at a great deal we cant pass up.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Re: Depth and Rotations
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think Doc may go 10-11 deep this year.  I usually don't approve of doing that, since I think that the best players should play the maximum amount of minutes they can without hurting their health or production.  However, given the age of some on this team, the need to work in new players, and the potential to drive up trade value on some players, I'd be OK with it for the regular season. 

I do, however, think Wilcox's status as a rotation member may be in question if he doesn't get healthy soon.  Darko, Sullinger, and Bass have all looked strong.  Factor Green (and obviously KG) into the PF mix, and there really isn't room for anyone else, especially someone who hasn't shown he deserves minutes (even if it isn't his fault). 

As for trade value, I think to some extent that's the idea.  However, let's keep in mind that our depth also negates one of the reasons you make a trade: for depth.  Thus, if we make a trade, it's going to have to be for a star caliber player.  There's no point in trading two bench players for two bench players, particularly when we have depth at every position. 

And I'm not sure Danny will necessarily be able to drive up the trade value of what we have on our roster to quite make that work by this trade deadline.  However, I do think that's a long term goal for him either for next summer or next year's deadline.