Author Topic: Is anyone else kind of interested in DeJuan Blair?  (Read 3138 times)

Is anyone else kind of interested in DeJuan Blair?
« on: October 09, 2012, 05:51:44 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think making 1M a year and being a fairly typical undersized C/PF prospect should get at least a look a Celtics team that just paid Bass 6M+ for 3yrs. If we can move Bass by mid-season and get Blair for a 2nd round pick we can free up $ to go after someone

Something looking like:

BOS gets DeJuan Blair
DEN gets Brandon Bass
SAS gets Anthony Randolph and a 2nd round pick from C's

Denver does it to get a bench option at power forward. Faried had a great year but Bass is probably more adept at playing in the half court at this point and would be a viable mid-range shooter for Lawson's drive and kick.

SAS does it to get a center prospect that maybe Popovich can sort out (like he has done for so many troubled or underachieving players). Randolph has the talent. They also move an unhappy Blair and get a 2nd round pick for a guy that no one thought would last this long with his knees (or lack of them).

BOS does it because we need a good rebounder who has a post presence and we shed salary. Our 2nd rounders aren't exactly the gold standard so it's not a huge gamble. I think we should do this to shed salary alone but getting a proven role player in Blair would be a nice bonus. If anyone thinks we'll miss Bass's shooting touch just watch Sully develop...or refer to KG, Pierce, Terry and Green for all or your mid-range jump shot needs :)

Oh and Blair's contract is up after this season so we aren't on the hook for if he doesn't work out.

Re: Is anyone else kind of interested in DeJuan Blair?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:36:58 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I think Bass's consistency is important as long as we are contending.

I think he will continue to sell at a premium though as he plays off our team very well. Even despite the fact he's slightly overpaid (in my opinion).

More so now I think with him not being the 3rd option behind Rondo and KG (when everyone else was injured). 5-5 yesterday.

He's still 27 and a half. He could still improve as well.

I just worry when the AB contract comes up, we won't have space.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:30:46 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Sully-stans enough already.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:57:31 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
No
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:16:09 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I would be interested in a Bass for Blair swap, if we need to clear more space under the $74 million threshold, to either make a bigger trade, or add someone for another position of need later in the season.

I think Blair and Bass are pretty similar in their impact on the game, and Blair would give us better roster and cap flexibility.  But I think we might need to get creative to make a deal work. 

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 02:38:45 AM »

fitzhickey

I've wanted him forever. Huge under the bucket, defensive presence, averages 9ppg and 6rpg for a 6'7" guy that's massive. Also 4 years younger.

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 03:10:27 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Not really...

I don't think he gives much that Bass and Sully don't.  Plus I think that:

1. We already have enough undersized bigs
2. We already have enough bigs in general

I'd rather keep Bass or trade him for a player more useful to us.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I would be interested in a Bass for Blair swap, if we need to clear more space under the $74 million threshold, to either make a bigger trade, or add someone for another position of need later in the season.

I think Blair and Bass are pretty similar in their impact on the game, and Blair would give us better roster and cap flexibility.  But I think we might need to get creative to make a deal work.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. I also like Blair's energy and defensive presence. Most of my reasons for wanting the trade are financial though.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
DeJuan Blair would be the fourth choice power forward behind Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger and Chris Wilcox here. Sixth choice if you also include Jeff Green and Kevin Garnett who are both expected to log some playing time at power forward also.

Not talented enough. Large liability defensively. Too limited offensively (garbage man, limited jumper, limited passer). Struggles against size/length.

Exceptional rebounding isn't enough to make up for the rest of his limitations when competing against the talent and depth this Boston team has at it's disposal at the power forward position.