Author Topic: Josh Smith would not significantly upgrade our team..  (Read 14745 times)

Re: Josh Smith would not significantly upgrade our team..
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 07:17:34 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
the celtics are blessed to have so many players that are signed to bargain deals.

Sully is a way better value than smith, and will be even more so over the next few years on this rookie contract.

I also like keeping rondo on a short leash. Having smith on the team would give rondo more power. Imagine rondo and smith together protesting some team decision with lackluster play.

It was only 2 years ago that rondo tanked in protest of perk being traded. Having a high paid, talented lackey around would bring out the worst in rondo when things dont go rondos way.
you feel rondo tanked  ???
the guy who plays without speaking about any minor injury even when young, the guy who dives for a loose ball through someone's legs, the guy who played with a dislocated arm

Chris Paul would have played with both hips dislocated.

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 08:51:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'm a fan of Smith and I think he would be a good fit and upgrade.

Not sure , I do it getting rid of certain players would be correct move at this point.

I wouldn't want to make the team thin on the bench like the Heat/LA , or give up to much of the future lineup . like AB and Sully.  Green is Pierces backup. Trade off all our bench , then we have the situation Like LA, of older guys having to play too many minutes and risk of injury.

probally best to wait and see how the Celtics play with Wilcox and AB back in the lineup

rather hold our cards and see what we got.

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 09:00:14 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Currently, my keepers are Rondo, Bradley, Green, Melo, KG, and Pierce.  If some combination of the other guys on the roster could get us Josh Smith, I'd at least be willing to listen.

I agree, except I would leave Melo out of that list if it would help to get Smith.

I know Smith has a bad shot selection, but I don't see why he can't improve his shot selection.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 09:03:32 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Currently, my keepers are Rondo, Bradley, Green, Melo, KG, and Pierce.  If some combination of the other guys on the roster could get us Josh Smith, I'd at least be willing to listen.

I agree, except I would leave Melo out of that list if it would help to get Smith.

I know Smith has a bad shot selection, but I don't see why he can't improve his shot selection.
Green or Bradley would have to be involved IMO, no way the Hawks are giving Smith away for Bass and Junk. The guy is approaching being a 20/10 PF with legit size and athleticism .

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Green or Bradley would have to be involved IMO, no way the Hawks are giving Smith away for Bass and Junk. The guy is approaching being a 20/10 PF with legit size and athleticism .

I would be willing to give up Bradley. He is a small SG with injury problems, I'm worried about him being able to make it through a full season. IMO we have to think about possibly moving him when his stock is high.

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 09:20:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He is an improvement offensively and defensively.

My issue has never been with the talent.  It has been with the offensive game he falls in love with and (the big issue) the amount of money he is and will likely get in the future. 

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Can anybody here name a defense that has ever existed better than Rondo/Bradley/Pierce/Smith/KG?

Can anybody here name a defense period that has featured 5 elite defenders in the starting lineup?

Better than 08, better than 04.  I'd like to see that team vs. Russell.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 09:36:49 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
How about Bass, Wilcox, Melo, Kris Joseph, Christmas, and two draft picks for Smith.  Besides Bass and Wilcox, those other ones are scrubs that won't be on the floor much anyways.  And we can afford to do without Bass and Wilcox. 

To people who are saying they don't understand the love affair, do you know how scary we'll be with a starting line-up of Rondo, Pierce, KG, Smith, and Bradley?  With that line up, #18 is guaranteed
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:43:06 AM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 09:45:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How about Bass, Wilcox, Melo, Kris Joseph, and two draft picks for Smith.  Besides Bass and Wilcox, those other ones are scrubs that won't be on the floor much anyways.  And we can afford to do without Bass and Wilcox. 

To people who are saying they don't understand the love affair, do you know how scary we'll be with a starting line-up of Rondo, Pierce, KG, Smith, and Bradley?  With that line up, #18 is guaranteed

Why does Atlanta make this trade?

Bass is a good role player and Wilcox was serviceable as a backup.  How does that equal near all-star level on the last year of a contract? 

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 10:07:55 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Because he's been in the league 8 years and it's no better now than when he started?

I can understand the appeal of Smith.  He's a great talent and young enough to pair with Rondo for another 5+ years, but I think folks are underestimating the trouble that comes with a guy who's going to turn 27 and still plays stupid on the court.

Mike

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 10:29:56 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Josh Smith is a beast, but I'd rather let this current team play the year out, and see what happens.

I wouldn't trade Green while his stock is at its lowest. Sully and Melo are keepers, and Bradley also. Courtney Lee and Bass would be the pieces during the season. In the offseason, we'll see.

I like this team and I think Green/Bass/Sully combined are more valuable than having Josh Smith. Atlanta would ask for at least the three of them, plus draft picks. Would you give so many assets for Josh Smith? Me neither.

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 11:30:32 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
My issue has never been with the talent.  It has been with the offensive game he falls in love with and (the big issue) the amount of money he is and will likely get in the future.

My guess is that if we ever do trade for Smith, it will be one of 2 scenarios:  our team is a legit championship contender and we will take him for a 3 month rental, or our team (for whatever reason) is not able to compete at the level we think they can, we trade KG and Pierce, and rebuild with Smith and Rondo.

I don't put a high probability on the latter scenario but it could happen

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 11:31:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
How about Bass, Wilcox, Melo, Kris Joseph, and two draft picks for Smith.  Besides Bass and Wilcox, those other ones are scrubs that won't be on the floor much anyways.  And we can afford to do without Bass and Wilcox. 

Why does Atlanta make this trade?

Bass is a good role player and Wilcox was serviceable as a backup.  How does that equal near all-star level on the last year of a contract?
well they would get Melo and 2 other picks, which makes it not a terrible trade.

I think it needs to be Sullinger and Bradley.

Something like this Atlanta and Boston both might do

Bass, Wilcox, Sullinger, Bradley, and a 2nd (maybe a 1st)

for

Smith
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 11:43:22 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Josh Smith is 6-8 to 6-9 and weighs 225 to 230lbs.

He is an undersized power forward (undersized quick four).

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I just don't see a deal for Josh Smith that's worth doing.

I really like the current roster.  We have enough and then some at every position.  Not worth screwing with a great thing.