Author Topic: Fab Melo  (Read 3702 times)

Fab Melo
« on: October 11, 2012, 10:28:38 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
So far I really love what I've seen from him.  I think he's going to surprise a lot of folks around here.  He may not get much time in his rookie season, but his size and his mobility really stand out for me.  That kid just moves really well for a guy his size. 

Everyone is saying that he's not very smart, but I think he'll be plenty smart enough to play center the way Doc will want him to, defense first, defense second, and after that more defense.  Already, in the preseason, I saw him working on showing and hedging on the pick and roll, which I think he has the physical tools to do better than any big on our team not named Kevin Garnett. 

On top of that, I really like his attitude and demeanor.  He just seems to have a personality that is going to mesh well with the group of guys on the Celtics.

Time will tell.  I've been let down before, but for now I'm keeping my hopes high for the young Brazilian.  To be honest, I'm more excited about Fab than Sully at this point. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Fab Melo
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
wat are yall seeing dat im not mane lol dude has looked horrible in summer league nd these 2 preseason games he's a project who can barely play at all i hated da pick on draft night nd still hate it. Fab aint contributing no time soon he's a good shotblocker dats bout it

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:05:58 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Dude. You had me going the whole time right until you said more Pumped about him than Sully. Get out of town with that. So Lucky to get Sully.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 01:34:05 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
He won't contribute this year, but there's a lot to like for the future.

He's raw at basketball.  He played soccer his entire life, and it shows.  He has rare agility and vision for a man of his size.  Already shows good timing when blocking shots.

Plenty of potential.  Suspect hands.  If he develops footwork in the post (he should with his quickness and soccer background) and his hands improve, then he could turn into an asset on offense and a very solid two-way player.

He clearly doesn't know the game well at this point, but he has one of the best teachers in the league right now.  It should be fun watching him grow.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 01:39:30 AM »

fitzhickey

*throws up in mouth*
more exited 'bout him than sully. Dude, he's got the tools but Sully's a genius with serious talent.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 02:36:05 AM »

Offline ummidkme

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
*throws up in mouth*
more exited 'bout him than sully. Dude, he's got the tools but Sully's a genius with serious talent.

I think the original poster is just excited about the potential in Melo's game. With Sully there is no surprise the man is talented and solid already. The only reason to be more excited about Melo is because he is a gamble, you don't know what surprise you are going to have at the end. I don't think he is dismissing Sully's talent or contributions this year.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 06:15:28 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I agree in a way.

Sully is better right now, but I think his ceiing is lower.  I don't really see Sullinger picking up any new skills he doesn't already have, because he's already so good at everything.  I think the player in 5 years is probably just going to be a better and more polished version of the guy we see right now.

Melo on the other hand...none of us know what to expect.   He's got such elite physical gifts, and yet he hasn't even scratched the surface of his talents yet.  This guy touched his first basketball four years ago, we really have no idea what he's capable of with some good experience under his belt.

I believe that this kid has the potential to be the next coming of Mutombo in terms of the defensive impact he could have on games 2-3 years down the track...but what if he improves his rebounding (and learns positioning) and improves his skills on offense? The sky is the limit.

With his size and athleticism Fab would never have to develop elite post moves.  When you are his size and athleticism all you need is the ability to catch the ball and put it in the hoop and you're servicable.  If you can develop one or two very simple low post moves (or learn to score in the pick-and-roll) combined with the a dominant defensive game, then you can do some real damage in this league.  Look ask Tyson Chandler and Dwight Howard - neither of those guys has much of an offensive game, but they get by off their athleticism.

Plus Fab seems modest - he seems like he's very aware (maybe too aware) of his limitations, and if anything looks like he could probably use a confidence boost.  I think his modesty will help him earn the respect of guys like KG.

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 07:04:46 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Melo is sort of like bradley in his rookie season.  He could develop into a special player.  He is far more raw than bradley was, maybe he is more like perk in his rookie season but way more potential.  Love the soccer part, two guys I think of that played soccer and picked up basketball later (not as late as melo) akeem and pat ewing.  I'll take melo in between  ;)

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 07:38:17 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I'm hoping, like AB , DA and Doc decide keep him around a couple years to see what they really have. 

I'd hate to see him traded off ,then the C's facing him on another team in a few years down the road as a top five center.

Fab needs to LIVE in the gym , sleep with a basketball , 24/7 nothing but basketball to develope his game .

Fab wound up at the Harvard U. of basketball with  KG , Doc and all the Boston faithful behind him.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 09:24:08 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Yeah, he has a lot of potential.  But when he plays now he makes 3 or 4 mistakes for every good play.  He can move well, but he's a long way from helping an nba team win games.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 09:55:48 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Yeah, he has a lot of potential.  But when he plays now he makes 3 or 4 mistakes for every good play.  He can move well, but he's a long way from helping an nba team win games.

Agreed, but I'm excited to see how quickly he can progress. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson