Author Topic: Doc wants backup point. Where is Dooling?  (Read 15304 times)

Doc wants backup point. Where is Dooling?
« on: October 08, 2012, 11:07:18 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I saw in the Boston Globe that Doc is worried about having a backup point that can handle the ball.  My question is where is Dooling.  I haven't paid much attention over the summer.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Doc wants backup point. Where is Dooling?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:10:41 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I saw in the Boston Globe that Doc is worried about having a backup point that can handle the ball.  My question is where is Dooling.  I haven't paid much attention over the summer.

He retired abruptly, the same day we signed Darko.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/keyon-dooling-retires-leaving-players-union-big-decision-230745889--nba.html

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 12:33:32 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I still really wish we had dooling. Jamar smith or Christmas might but up a good few minutes here and there but their inexperience will hurt us if we need to count on them. They are lesser versions of etwaun Moore. Dooling veteran presence and ability to handle pressure situations would have helped greatly for when we need to spare rondo a few minutes here and their. I still think its strange he retired. He would have been perfect for us for 10 minutes of veteran presence a game while being a huge addition to the locker room.

For me personally. I'm comfortable with terry bringing the ball up the floor and I also like how green is playing the role of an Antoine walker type player and doing it well thus far.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 12:41:46 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

He retired abruptly, the same day we signed Darko.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/keyon-dooling-retires-leaving-players-union-big-decision-230745889--nba.html

I thought at first he was cut by Danny but turns out it was his decision could have used him for sure man
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 01:26:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Having Rondo spoils us, he makes everybody else look really bad. His job is mainly POINT , not a combo . Guys with this mindset at few and far between.

ROndo at his level of skill is difficult to replace . Anyone Danny hires is gonna fall short of filling ROndos shoes. So I've lessoned my expectations for a fill in.

That said,  I have a bottom of expectations, I'm not seeing SMith or XMAS as NBA point guards. I'm not having much faith in these guys at directing an offense.   I mean :o SMITH said he FELT "LUCKY" to get the ball over half court and NOT SCREW UP ??? That type of talk doesn't give me much confidence as a fan , much less what does that inspire  the TEAM to think? .

Honestly JET looked the most at home out there, his IQ and  experience JUST PLAYING all these years makes him a decent choice to fill in.  Lee can handle the ball pretty good too. Avery might not be a pure point guard either but  he is brave, smart and quick and can make good things happen on offense. He won't get back soon enough to suit me.   

XMAS and Smith frankly looked lost to me,  over whelmed , they were out classed by the Euro guys even.  That won't cut it in the NBA talent pool.

I think Doc & Danny needs to keep an eye open for a REAL POINT guard . 

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Dooling sucked as a back-up PG with PG responsibilities.

I personally like what Christmas brings to the table. Jet should be seeing quite a bit of PG duties too.

I don't want to waste another roster spot on a one dimensional player who's only duty will be to bring the ball up the court.

The value of Christmas is that he can handle the ball, can shoot, can penetrate, and is big enough to play 3 positions, so he's a very good safety net to have.

We have a logjam of guards as it is already.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
I dont think we need one honestly, it looks like in the pre-season games that when rondo goes to the bench you let Terry/Green handle the ball..

which makes sense since those are going to be your go-to-guys off the bench

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 03:19:48 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
It would be great to have another Veteran back up point guard behind Rondo.

But if not, I think we also have a very easy solution:

1. Bradley can easily play back up point for 10-12 minutes a night. He filled in pretty nicely for Rondo last year over an 8 game stretch.

2. That still leaves you with Courtney Lee and Jet at the two spot - as well as Bradley - when he's not at the point.

3. Pierce can also always slide over to the two spot, for 10 - minutes a game if needed, and we can put Green at the SF, so we have ways to manage the point position should we be unable to pick up another decent vet point.

That being said, I am sure Doc and Danny will be watching closely for some vet min Keyon Dooling / Anthony Carter level player to become available off some roster before the season starts, just as insurance.

I woudln't mind them sending Joseph, Christmas and Smith back to the D-league this year and then filling out the roster with Pietrus and vet min point.

KG / Darko / Collins / Melo
Bass / Wilcox / Sully
Pierce / Green / Pietrus
Bradley / Lee / Jet
Rondo / Jet / Vet min Dooling type

"Locked" and "loaded" - that is a championship roster.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I think Doc & Danny needs to keep an eye open for a REAL POINT guard .
I've been thinking all along that I'd like a legit reserve PG on the squad.  I don't know why people speak of Christmas as a PG.  He's never been one.  He's a 2 with a decent handle.  He does have potential as a 2, and I do like him.  We're fine with Terry as backup PG, but as Doc says, he'd rather have him being a scorer and not a distributor, but he can handle backup PG responsibilities.  Smith is not NBA caliber.  Bradley is not a PG either.  Doc finally realized that last year about Avery:

“It just takes time for guys to figure out who they are, and it takes us time as a staff to figure out who he is,” said Rivers… “It does go both ways. The one thing, if we did make one mistake, it was forcing him at the point guard. That just robbed him of his confidence.”

In my mind, we're talking about PG depth should either Rondo or Terry be out for any period with injury.  We'd not then have any backup PG.  Granted, we can use Pierce in a pinch as a facilitator, but I don't think Doc regards that as ideal.  It's the one position on the whole squad that I don't feel entirely confident in.  I hope we do get a legit reserve PG in.

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
Keyon was trash last year lol iont get da love fest for dude. I like wat Dionte has done in short minutes (dont kno wat dat poster who said he was overwelmed was talmbout) not impressed wit Jamar Smith i wanna see wat Xmas will do at da 1

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 04:19:24 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Jamar Smith sucks, i don't want him out there ever. He's a nice D-League PG who can score... doesn't belong in the NBA.

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 09:05:30 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Keyon was trash last year lol iont get da love fest for dude. I like wat Dionte has done in short minutes (dont kno wat dat poster who said he was overwelmed was talmbout) not impressed wit Jamar Smith i wanna see wat Xmas will do at da 1

I didn't think he was trash.  He started out slow (maybe getting used to the system?), but I thought he did well later in the season.  I miss him.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 09:14:12 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
We will not miss the regular season Dooling.

Playoff Dooling will be missed.  That needs to be replaced by the time the playoffs roll around.

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 09:39:20 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Does anyone have a link to the article where Doc says this?  On a quick search I couldn't find it.

As for the need for a PG, I am perfectly happy with the rotation as it is.  But I am now convinced that the guys at the end of the roster are not going to do the job.  Smith reminds me of Smiling Gabe Pruitt (in a bad way), and I think Scal nailed it when he described Christmas as Tony Allen...without the defense.

Its a small sample size, but it is pretty clear to me why those guys were not drafted.

So, with Bradley out for a while, I do think they need to bring in one more guy who can handle the ball, in case of injuries. 

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 10:01:13 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Does anyone have a link to the article where Doc says this?  On a quick search I couldn't find it.

As for the need for a PG, I am perfectly happy with the rotation as it is.  But I am now convinced that the guys at the end of the roster are not going to do the job.  Smith reminds me of Smiling Gabe Pruitt (in a bad way), and I think Scal nailed it when he described Christmas as Tony Allen...without the defense.

Its a small sample size, but it is pretty clear to me why those guys were not drafted.

So, with Bradley out for a while, I do think they need to bring in one more guy who can handle the ball, in case of injuries.
Here's the linnk:  http://www.boston.com/sports/2012/10/07/lack-backup-point-guard-concerns-doc-rivers-celtics-finish-european-tour/TrCmdQT44PNykluargd7rM/story.html

Pruitt is exactly who Smith reminds me of, too.  I can see the TA w/o the defense comparison a little on Christmas, but I do think Christmas' offense is different than TA's, TA a better slasher, but Christmas has a better shot.  Overall, I think Christmas offense is probably better (but as you said, small sample size).