Author Topic: Are the Celtics Going to Be Any Good This Season?  (Read 8401 times)

Re: Are the Celtics Going to Be Any Good This Season?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 01:16:46 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Won't be great, will finish with 50 wins or so but i firmly expect them to flip the switch come playoff time. Think 09-10.

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 01:26:06 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
So you can ask if the Celtics might be as bad as they looked last night but I think the other side of the question is whether the Sixers are as good as they looked.

I think the Sixers are going to be (already are) better than people think but that is no excuse for how bad the Celtics played.

Yes, Rondo is coasting, yes, it is just preseason, etc., etc. but that was a pretty clear warning signal that we may not be a good as we think.

We aren't trying at all, Zero Percent. For the 8-10 guys who will actually see minutes this is just about getting in shape and getting up shots. When you see Christmas in the game for 13+ minutes you shouldn't worry and make a thread like this.

These games are so the bench can get a rhythm and so the training camp guys can show their mettle. So far I think we're are going to cut Christmas/Downs/Smith/Kurtz. Joseph will stay. Also I agree with whoever says we're going to have a mediocre regular season. I'd put us somewhere between 3-6 seeds in the East. And that won't bother me at all. I guarantee you we will lose to the Wizards once and beat the Heat twice, or something ludicrous like that. It's how we roll.

Also I'm not sure who is sleeping on Philly. They have an up and coming star in Evan Turner and they just got the 2nd best center in the league (after KG of course). It's not like they took us to 7 games in the Semis a few months back or anything.

Let's assume that losing the ball-hog that is Lou Williams and a top tier wing defender who virtually can't score while getting a franchise center is an overall upgrade. I would make that trade every day of the week.

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
oh boy... the sixers end of the bench that wont make their roster is better than our end of the bench players that wont make our roster. lordy lordy what are we gonna do?

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 01:42:45 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
oh boy... the sixers end of the bench that wont make their roster is better than our end of the bench players that wont make our roster. lordy lordy what are we gonna do?

Yes, THANK you. We're going to be fine.

Rondo, PP, and KG are still playing at like 66%. The main goal in the preseason is getting the team on the same level, not winning.

We'll be a winning team barring injuries. And yes, I knocked on wood.

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
The Celtics defense is very much based on having a big man anchor, preferably two. Just look at last year with Stiemsma. When he got the hang of it, we were not bad even with KG on the bench (though much better when he was on court). Milicic gives us the same as Stiemsma in that regard, while Collins is more like an extra backup.
But when we have to rely on Bass and/or Sullinger to anchor the defense, obviously we get into trouble. Even if they get their rotations right themselves, you can't expect them to communicate the same way and getting everyone on the same page.
And without our defense we will have trouble gaining momentum in a game. 
All in all, I am not concerned yet. But we need people to find their roles and KG is obviously essential.

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 02:55:41 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Adding all these new pieces will take some time. I wouldn't judge anything from this team until December. I know that's cliche but still.

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 04:40:15 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I was horrified at what I saw last night in the game against Philly. :o  They looked pretty pathetic.  Now I know KG didn't play and we played the end of the bench, but Bynum didn't play and Philly played their end of the bench guys too.  Turnovers seem to be a staple with Doc's teams and it was on full display last night. 

Of course I think they'll be better than what I saw last night, but will they be good enough to contend?  I have my doubts.  I don't think there is any way we get by Miami, unless a trade is made for a top tier talent.

Of course I'll be rooting for them no matter what.

Just my $.02

Did you watch last nights game? Did it look like a normal Doc type of game?

NO!

You could see by the second quarter that he was experimenting with line up, small, big, playing player that wouldn't be in a game or even on the team. Players were only playing a few minutes and then taken out. Docs subbing was erratic at best. Thats not normal. and hasn't been all preseason.

We'll probably see an other game like this were he's just trying to see what clicks. Some of it is to see what works and what doesn't. And trying to keep guys in shape at the same time. Seeing what starting line up he likes best. Whos coming off the bench first and the second. KG comes out first, but can't replace him with Terry or Green. Lots to figure out.

I figured probably one of the games at the end of the week will be more like a normal game.

This team is WAY better than last years. It doesn't really matter were they finish in the regular season, only were they finish in the playoffs. I remember that half of this team got us one quarter away from the finals. With a few more pieces no reason why they can't at the very lest get that far again.

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 06:28:59 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I was horrified at what I saw last night in the game against Philly. :o  They looked pretty pathetic.  Now I know KG didn't play and we played the end of the bench, but Bynum didn't play and Philly played their end of the bench guys too.  Turnovers seem to be a staple with Doc's teams and it was on full display last night. 

Of course I think they'll be better than what I saw last night, but will they be good enough to contend?  I have my doubts.  I don't think there is any way we get by Miami, unless a trade is made for a top tier talent.

Of course I'll be rooting for them no matter what.

Just my $.02

Not sure how you can know that this roster is inadequate to compete with Miami. Only 4 currently available guys (KG, RR, PP and Bass) played on the C's team last year (Wilcox and Bradley aren't available).   That means they are a brand new collection of parts and it will take time to know how this team will come together.

I love the talent and depth on this team.  Rondo, PP and KG look healthy and ready.  Youth, experience, size, versatility.  I'm not sure how anyone could be certain that this team is not going to contend with Miami.  I'm not suggesting they are better  or as good as Miami, but its way too early to tell.  I'm excited, and I'll be excited even if they lose by 27 tonight.

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 06:49:42 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
we'll need someone to step in & be as good/better than Stiemsma was in the shotblocking dept. 

also, Jeff Green needs to earn his paycheck.   

if those two things happen we'll be the team Miami doesn't want to face come playoff time.

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 07:10:44 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Pre Season.

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

This is a grain of salt.  That is what the outcome of a preseason game is worth.

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 08:10:04 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I feel a lot better now.  8) ;D
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 09:38:50 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Lee , JET , Darko and Sully are all starting to "GET IT" ,
throw in WIlcox and Bradley in come Jan . this second string is gonna be the best bench in the NBA.

This team needs to keep pushing ... be able to still control a game when PP and KG are resting.