Author Topic: I Cannot believe Doc even implied this. Insinuating Danny plummeted Sullys stock  (Read 9146 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is absolutely something Danny would do...leaking this info, in order to kill the buzz on a player he wants to drop.

...with that said, I believe the medical report was from the combine, and was something that all of the teams had access to.  So, I am not sure Danny really did all that much.  He just helped it along a bit (if this is true). 

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The thing is, if Danny really did leak confidential medical information, there could be some serious ramifications.  Not to mention, he screwed the guy now on his team out of millions of dollars.  Not exactly you want to send agents and players in the league.  If true, it really could have a ton of potential negative ramifications for the team going forward and I'm not happy about it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
The thing is, if Danny really did leak confidential medical information, there could be some serious ramifications.  Not to mention, he screwed the guy now on his team out of millions of dollars.  Not exactly you want to send agents and players in the league.  If true, it really could have a ton of potential negative ramifications for the team going forward and I'm not happy about it.

Well, I think all that was leaked was that he was Red Flagged on the physical for his back.  That's not really confidential medical information, it is just results from a league run screening process. 

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Well, I think all that was leaked was that he was Red Flagged on the physical for his back.  That's not really confidential medical information, it is just results from a league run screening process.
Doesn't really matter though.  Additionally, he screwed a player out of millions of dollars.  How exactly do you think that will be looked at around the league by players and agents?

It was poor form to do and a much worse idea to even joke about. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Most guys who fall for medical reasons have those reasons leaked. Sullinger's camp had ample time to deal with it if it was misinformation anyways.

Your point is better when in the past players have dropped due to rumored medical red flags rather than actual ones.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Doesn't really matter though.  Additionally, he screwed a player out of millions of dollars.  How exactly do you think that will be looked at around the league by players and agents?

Again, I don't think Danny actually did anything.  If he did do anything, it is just slipping out the idea that teams are scared off by the red flag.  But every team in the league was given the medical information themselves. 

As for screwing a player out of Millions...well, I would argue (and Sully's agent would very likely agree), that coming to a team like the C's, who have a system that compliments his game, a bunch of guys that will demand attention and are great passers, allowing Sully to roam free a bit, and a ton of open minutes in the front court, is the best possible thing to happen to Sully's career.

Any agent will tell you that for a player that is actually talented, the first contract is irrelevant, it is the second contract that matters.  And Sully "slid" to a spot where he has a tremendous shot at maximizing his value. 

The thing is, Sully had already dropped towards the bottom of the lottery (at least) by the time the reports of his health came out.  And the money between the 14th pick and 21st (or was it 20th?) pick is just not that dramatic. 

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Again, I don't think Danny actually did anything.  If he did do anything, it is just slipping out the idea that teams are scared off by the red flag.  But every team in the league was given the medical information themselves. 

As for screwing a player out of Millions...well, I would argue (and Sully's agent would very likely agree), that coming to a team like the C's, who have a system that compliments his game, a bunch of guys that will demand attention and are great passers, allowing Sully to roam free a bit, and a ton of open minutes in the front court, is the best possible thing to happen to Sully's career.

Any agent will tell you that for a player that is actually talented, the first contract is irrelevant, it is the second contract that matters.  And Sully "slid" to a spot where he has a tremendous shot at maximizing his value. 

The thing is, Sully had already dropped towards the bottom of the lottery (at least) by the time the reports of his health came out.  And the money between the 14th pick and 21st (or was it 20th?) pick is just not that dramatic.

Exactly.  Sullinger's play last season, especially in the tournament, which gets overrated every year, had dropped him out of the top 10.  Suppose he went #12 -- that would have earned him $700K more this year, and a trip to the rookie quagmire that is Houston.  Instead, he's in Boston, and is going to get significant minutes playing on a veteran squad that looks to go deep into the postseason.  This should really help contract #2, and keep him out of the MLE and minimum salary purgatory for much of his career.

And yes, Doc was clearly being sarcastic, just like Rondo is feeling at 74.3%, because reporters are foolish sometimes.  The most Danny could do is leak that Sullinger had a red flag.  This would put public pressure on other GM's to not draft him, but would not provide those GM's with any additional true or untrue information.  If they don't feel secure enough in their jobs to have egg on their face if Sullinger really does prove ineffective, they pass.  They did.  The jury is still out as to whether they made a mistake for doing so, although the early results are clearly promising for the C's.

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Uh guys, use your heads for a moment here.

Sully never came in for a workout in Boston. So that means Boston's doctors never got a chance to look at him. Any screening Boston's medical team did was the same every other team in the NBA did, working off his physicals from the draft combine.

It's, quite literally, impossible for Danny to have released anything confidential, as his Doctor's only had access to the exact same medical information that every other team in the league did.

Doc was obviously kidding, anyone who knows anything about the pre-draft process knows his "insinuation" is literally impossible.

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Came out from Doctors. So did Danny influence the doctors (whisper in their ear - the back look at his back). I don't get it. Doc is always joking like that - is pretty common.

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
I love how Doc is constantly trolling the media. It's one of the reasons that I always try to read what he says.

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
if this was serious (and i doubt it is), every team has an incentive to do this with ANY PLAYER they want in the draft. no chance danny "leaked" that info, because that info was something EVERY GM knew anyway.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
this is a joke, leaking the infor could not guarantee that Sully would drop to 21. There were many teams that could have taken him. It wasnt as if the Cs were piking at 12-15.

A better conspiracy theory is that Sully wanted to go to a contender so he leaked/faked a back problem.

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Where has all the humor gone, long time passing.
Where has all the humor gone, I really don't know.
Gone to jokes that Doc has said
That most of the fans don't get,
That most of Celticsblog didn't get!

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Dang, if Danny was going to purposely leak red flagged medical info on a player to get him to fall to the Celtics draft spot, why didn't he choose Anthony Davis instead?

That's it. Fire Danny. He doesn't even know which player to choose to leak bad medical information on so we can land a lottery type talent while picking in the 20's.

;D