Author Topic: anyone else notice how Perk fans also defend ray?  (Read 7874 times)

Re: anyone else notice how Perk "fans" also defend ray?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 07:25:25 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Offering Ray a large contract and a no trade clause after openly trying to trade him numerous times and diminishing his role (not saying either of those are bad, just stating out the facts) is the same as mistreating your significant other over and over and then asking him/her to get back together with you.

Not sure if this is a good analogy but that's how I look at it. You can't consistently show little love to a player and then expect him back with a last ditch effort. It works on some people but not others.

A better analogy would be working in an office with a boss that is constantly trying to get you fired or transferred then giving you a raise.

The significant other comparison is disingenuous, because the types of emotions and context are VERY different than what you get in a professional or athletic environment. I get what you are saying (that we basically bruised Allen's ego and it boomeranged on us), but I just think your analogy is too much.

The office analogy is more accurate. It's a situation that can be annoying to be in, and nobody would blame you for leaving that job ... but at the same time nobody would blame you for keeping that job.

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 07:42:27 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Perk was cool guy .  I watch him on OKC.  But, he wasn't the talented dude to ever hold a basketball. But we strapped for bigs so bad at certain times , the loss of even Perk seemed huge.

I 'm over it and on board with Darko /Wilcox /Collins / Fab  deal

Now lets look at where the trade is at.

Jeff Green is starting to look like the guy we hoped .

Jeff Green is far more valuable today to the C's than Perk would be or will ever be  .

Mostly Agree.

What is the saying - "Hindsight is 20/20" or something along those lines?

Not saying that Danny can look into the future, but our lineup NOW, as constructed, is MUCH better able to compete with MIA with Jeff Green than Perk.

As much as I love KG, I wouldn't want him chasing LeBron around for 30-40 min per. And Perk would have issues with Bosh.

I suppose, though, that I'm still in the camp that believes if we would've had a healthy Perk (or Shaq, or JO), we would've beaten MIA back then (2010-11).

Which leads me to believe that we would've beaten DAL, too.

It pains me to think that this team over the last 5-6 yrs, barring injuries, would've probably won 2 or 3 EXTRA banners. :o

BOS is due for healthy season.

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 08:17:47 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Offering Ray a large contract and a no trade clause after openly trying to trade him numerous times and diminishing his role (not saying either of those are bad, just stating out the facts) is the same as mistreating your significant other over and over and then asking him/her to get back with you.

Not sure if this is a good analogy but that's how I look at it. You can't consistently show little love to a player and then expect him back with a last ditch effort. It works on some people but not others.

I wouldn't say that at all. 

The relationship analogy really doesn't work, because this is a business, not a romance. 

I think the big difference between Perk and Ray is that Perk was traded and Ray left. 

Now you could argue that Perk would have walked if Danny had kept him, but that only would've been had someone offered him a sweeter deal than Boston.

With Ray, we offered the best deal and he still walked away. 

For that, I think he deserves all the crap he gets and will continue to get around here. 

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 08:30:33 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
i dont see it that way.

i like perk, always did. but i think ainge did the right thing to trade him.

ray, i liked but i dont defend him at all for his choice. but i also think the celtics are better now.

sorry, but i just dont see the general opinions on this board lining up the way you state.

next thread please...
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: anyone else notice how Perk fans also defend ray?
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 10:45:43 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Interesting observation by the OP. I see it completely differently.

I will defend Perk as an effective player and great teammate. I think some people who truly like Perk do not like the amount he got in his contract, thinking he is overpaid. I am one of these, even though I still consider myself a Perk Fan.

I have defended Ray's right to leave the Celtics for what he perceived as a better situation regardless of the spin he, his agent, the Celtics and former teammates put on it. I do not care for his decision but will defend his right to make it.

I think the two scenarios are completely different and not related except they are both former Celtic teammates that were on a championship team together as starters. The circumstances for their leaving are not anywhere close to being similar IMO.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 11:10:42 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
i dont see it that way.

i like perk, always did. but i think ainge did the right thing to trade him.

ray, i liked but i dont defend him at all for his choice. but i also think the celtics are better now.

sorry, but i just dont see the general opinions on this board lining up the way you state.

next thread please...

Ditto.

'Like both players.  Yet I totally approve of the trade of Perk and am totally comfortable with letting Ray go his merry way elsewhere since we have Bradley, Lee, Terry & (probably) Christmas to fill the SG role in various ways.   'Hate that Ray ended up on the Heat, though.  Grrrr ...

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.