Author Topic: I Cannot believe Doc even implied this. Insinuating Danny plummeted Sullys stock  (Read 9155 times)

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Before the start of training camp, Celtics coach Doc Rivers was recounting all the moves his team made this summer to restock their roster when he got to first-round draft pick Jared Sullinger.

"The middle of last college season, I don’t even think we would have looked at film on Sullinger because we would have thought we had no chance to get him," Rivers said. "Then [Celtics president of basketball operations] Danny [Ainge] released the health report on him, and he fell to us. So that was terrific."

• Enlarge

AP Photo/Luca Bruno
Jared Sullinger didn't seem to be intimidated playing in the Celtics' star-studded starting lineup.
Rivers chuckled before adding, "That’s not true, everyone, I’m just joking. Or maybe it is, who knows? It’s been that type of summer, it’s been good."

Once a player with lottery potential, Sullinger slipped all the way to Boston at No. 21 because of concerns about bulging discs in his back that left him red-flagged before June's draft. A solid two-week showing at summer league suggested Boston had a steal on its hands and two preseason games overseas have only solidified that notion.

Coming off a 16-point, 8-rebound effort in Friday's loss in Turkey, Sullinger was elevated to the starting lineup Sunday and chipped in nine points and seven rebounds over 18 minutes during Boston's 105-75 triumph over Emporio Armani in Milan.

Sullinger has looked nothing like a fresh-faced late-round pick during this European trip, blending well with any lineup. Some first-year players would be overwhelmed playing alongside Boston's Big Three and a veteran such as Jason Terry as part of Sunday's starting unit, but Sullinger simply did the little things -- finishing around the basket and cleaning up the glass -- and he's well on his way to establishing himself as a rotation player in his first NBA season.

There's room for growth in his game and it's clear the Celtics like the idea of pairing him with the likes of Kevin Garnett as he improves his defense. It does make you wonder if, down the road, Sullinger could make a strong case for more time with the starting unit.

Rivers cautioned against reading too much into Sunday's lineup change. Brandon Bass, the incumbent starting power forward, knocked down all five shots he took and quietly put up 11 points and eight rebounds over 24:36 off the bench.

Of course, that may only fuel the notion that Bass could have a bigger impact off the pine. Remember that Boston brought Bass here last offseason as a reserve contributor. He spent much of the first half of the season in a sixth-man role before ascending to the starting lineup and aiding Boston's second-half turnaround after Garnett shuffled to center.

The bottom line for Celtics fans: These are phenomenal problems to have. Or maybe options is the better word, as Sullinger's ability to immediately play at this level -- while providing a key element in offensive rebounding, something Boston has sorely lacked -- will only give the Celtics more versatility and depth with which to operate.

We still haven't seen Sullinger against honest-to-goodness NBA talent, but Boston has to be encouraged by what it's seen so far. On a European vacation with plenty of positives, Sullinger's ability to make an immediate impact is at the top of the list.

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I love Doc's sense of humor. 

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
If this is true then Danny was most definetly learning from Red

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
You gotta get really lucky to land a long-term difference maker outside the lottery. Seems like we've been lucky a few times now.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Exactly, stop hating on Doc nothin wrong with what he said
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
This. I feel like this is one of those threads  made out of boredom...

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Docs the man. I love how sarcastic the celts are towards the media... The people that don't get the sarcasm, not so much.

Offline Bean_town fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Rondo is actually hilarious and has a real quiet, droll sense of humour when talking to the press, it's the Celtic way....nothing in it!

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
This. I feel like this is one of those threads  made out of boredom...

[Edited.  No personal attacks.]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:24:23 AM by Roy H. »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Great stuff from Danny and Doc.   Hook or crook , LoL glade we landed Sully.   I'm sure the HEAT are not. ;D

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This is a pretty funny joke but even if it was true, good for Danny. You pulled an Auerbach on the rest of the league and they fell for it.

I don't think its true and I love Doc's sense of humor and his ability to try to play mind games with the media and fans.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Rondo is actually hilarious and has a real quiet, droll sense of humour when talking to the press, it's the Celtic way....nothing in it!

Rondo is probably my favorite player to listen to when talking to the media. He has a complete dry sense of humor is a borderline sarcastic jerk. And i just love it.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Kind of an aside, but didn't the team say the day after the draft that Sullinger might need back surgery before playing?  Maybe they were trying to throw everyone off the scent of their phony medical records  :D

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
nothing wrong with that, it just means that Danny is smart. If this is true, I'm glad Danny did it cuz we ended up getting a lottery pick in Sullinger

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Broken sense of humor thread.

Great comment by Doc. Funny guy.