Author Topic: Hopefully bass doesn't get in the way  (Read 11175 times)

Hopefully bass doesn't get in the way
« on: October 07, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I'm sure I will be lambasted by some, but I am on record saying I didn't want to resign bass.  Looking at our front court situation, I think bass should be behind guys like sully and green and Wilcox.  Darko and Collins are true centers so they don't overlap too much with bass.

We are paying bass to be at least a rotation guy, and it looks like he will start, but I kinda wish he wasn't around because have better options.

Re: Hopefully bass doesn't get in the way
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 01:43:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm sure I will be lambasted by some, but I am on record saying I didn't want to resign bass.  Looking at our front court situation, I think bass should be behind guys like sully and green and Wilcox.  Darko and Collins are true centers so they don't overlap too much with bass.

We are paying bass to be at least a rotation guy, and it looks like he will start, but I kinda wish he wasn't around because have better options.
Sullinger got some wide open dunks against European defenses. Quick, stop the presses, ship Brandon Bass out of town!

Please...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Disagree. Brandon Bass is really underappreciated around here. He is in my opinion second best big on this team. And it's not close. I don't consider Green a big. Sullinger has ways to go on defense. Darko is Darko. Wilcox is oft-injured player.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 02:05:53 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I'm with you that he shouldn't be a long term piece on our team. I doubt we are getting past the Lakers or any of the big teams out West with Bass as the starting PF.

But I think he's being used as a piece of a larger plan.
Rondo makes him look far more valuable than he really is because of the amount of open looks he gets him. This goes hand in hand with the most important part of having the combination of Bass and KG on the floor at the same time- they stretch the floor with jumpshooting and when Bass is out of the key threatening on offense, it gives KG space inside to go to work and takes the opposing teams power forward out of the paint-meaning that Rondo has space and KG gets more rebounds- they switch this with KG and Bass depending on who has the weaker post/interior defender on them. It's what we did in the playoffs and Doc abused teams repeatedly with this strategy.
He also keeps the floor open with Rondo and Pierce being able to cut and now that Rondo seems to be getting constantly better with that jumpshot we are going to get superior spacing.

I'd say Bass will be moved for a better player but right now we are using him perfectly- giving him wide open jumpshots and getting him to the line with his patented up fakes, whilst increasing his trade value when it looks like Josh Smith is coming our way.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 02:31:35 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Question is how you feel about KG playing Center. Sully and Bass can find minutes as long as KG is center. If KG moves to PF then yes we have problems and that is without Wilcox in the mix.

Wilcox and Sully can both play at center. Bass is not as flexible; but he is our most reliable PF as of now. As much as I love Bass, trading Bass for a backup PG (straight up) might not be a bad move.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 02:39:23 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Question is how you feel about KG playing Center. Sully and Bass can find minutes as long as KG is center. If KG moves to PF then yes we have problems and that is without Wilcox in the mix.

Wilcox and Sully can both play at center. Bass is not as flexible; but he is our most reliable PF as of now. As much as I love Bass, trading Bass for a backup PG (straight up) might not be a bad move.

You'd end up trading Bass for a player that would never see the court after Bradley gets back.

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 02:42:22 PM »

Offline TBreezy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I wonder if they are better with Sully starting and bass off the bench?  For Miami, in particular, we could match sully against their four to start the game, and not have to worry about them sliding lebron to the four (at least at the start).  Bass provides (along with Green) more flexibility, which seems more valuable to me on the Second.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 02:47:21 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

we know what we will get from bass.  the other guys:
1-sully is a rookie and unproven
2- green, a year off after a heart issue (and was terrible in the time he was playing for us the year of the trade)
3- wilcox, coming off a heart surgery
4- darko, a bust his entire career
5- collins, insurance

bass is our best option right now.  things could change during the season, but for now, he is our guy and we know what he will give us
3- wilcox

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 02:47:47 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

News flash, the Celtics already signed him to a 3 year deal.  Bass is a solid PF for us.  If Sully truly emerges then Bass salary becomes a trade chip down the road.  But not yet.  We haven't even played any regular season games so let's not get carried away.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 03:09:52 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Bass is Thumpin!

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 03:23:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Sully is a  "BEAST"

Sullys needs to be IN THE GAME more minutes than NOT.

Call me crazy , but I think Doc see's this already.

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
It's clear to me that Sully, who can play inside, is a better fit with KG and the starters, and Bass, who has a great mid-range game, would benefit by playing with a center with size who bangs inside, in Darko. 

I think Sully will emerge quickly.  He's got a great feel for the game, and has a ton of court awareness already for a rookie.  I see him as a first team all rookie guy if he gets to play with the starters and gets 22 or so minutes a game. 

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 06:15:48 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
It's clear to me that Sully, who can play inside, is a better fit with KG and the starters, and Bass, who has a great mid-range game, would benefit by playing with a center with size who bangs inside, in Darko. 

I think Sully will emerge quickly.  He's got a great feel for the game, and has a ton of court awareness already for a rookie.  I see him as a first team all rookie guy if he gets to play with the starters and gets 22 or so minutes a game.

Well have to see what he does against actual NBA big men on a consistent basis but I'm inclined to agree with you about the fit.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 07:38:13 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

We know what we will get from bass.  The other guys:
1-sully is a rookie and unproven
2- green, a year off after a heart issue (and was terrible in the time he was playing for us the year of the trade)
3- wilcox, coming off a heart surgery
4- darko, a bust his entire career
5- collins, insurance

1 - We actually have a pretty good idea of what we're going to get from Sully.  Everyone knew even BEFORE we saw him play that he was going to give us strong rebounding, good hands, solid passing and a good finisher in the low post  against small-medium sized Power Forwards.  We all expected that his defense and conditioning would need some work.

So far in the first two preseason games he has shown those exact traits, and he has clearly shown us that right now he is our best offensive rebounder and probably out best inside scorer. When a guys first two games are perfectly consistent with his scouting report, then you can usually be pretty confident that he's going to live up to that.

2. The fact that Green is a year away from heart surgery means absolutely nothing if he is healthy right now, and at this stage he looks like he's perfectly healthy. 

When he played for us the year of the trade he had to adjust to a new team, a new role (from starter to bench player) a change of minutes (fom 30+ to just over 20 a game) and a new position (from maily PF over to primarilly a SF).  He had to do all of that 20 games prior to the playoffs on a team who showed a lot of resistance to the trade (and hence he probabably had a lot of mental pressure on him to fill Perkin's shoes). 

Despite all that he still averaged 15 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists on a per 36 min basis, while shooting 49% from the field and 80% from the foul line.  Call me crazy, but if that's the kind of numbers he puts up when he's playing "terrible" after being chucked in the worst possible scenario, then that's a guy that I (and I think just about every team in the NBA) would be happy to live with.

I think the problem with Green is that because he's so young and talented (and replaced a guy every one loved so much) every one here seems to expect him to give us 22 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists a night while shooting 50%/40%/90% and making the all-defensive team...and anything less that that seems like a dissapointment.

As I said, I'm willing to bet that any team in the league would be thrilled to have a young, athletic 6'9" guy who can play multiple positions and give you and an  efficient 10 points to go with 3 rebounds in 20 minutes off the bench and he put up those numbers under the worst possible circumstances a player could be thrown into.

You think Miami wouldn't take Jeff Green in a heartbeat given the chance? How about Chicago, the Lakers, the Spurs?  He's the type of player any team would love to have and you can be sure that OKC would have never traded him if not for the fact that they (1) were desperate for a tough defensive center and (2) already had an elite swingman in Durant.

3. Wilcox - as with Green, heart surgery is no concern unless the player shows any signs of it being an issue.  Wilcox had his after Green so it may take him a bit longer to get his conditioning back, but if he gives us what he did last season he'll be very valuable.

4. Darko has been great these last two preseason games.  In the past Darko has had talent, but lacked the motivation to bother to use it in regular NBA games that count.  The last two games are essentially meaningless preseason games, yet still he's shown a nice effort level - to me that's a great sign.  He's grabbing boards and blocking shots, and they are exactly the two things we need from a big right now.

5 - Collins is, as you say, insurance.  I'll give you that! :D

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 07:44:32 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

Well have to see what he does against actual NBA big men on a consistent basis but I'm inclined to agree with you about the fit.

I agree (hope) that Sullinger will eventually be our starting 4 next to KG. We really need his post play and rebounding on the starting unit. He just needs to learn to execute his defensive assignments. I hope he develops quickly and earns that starting spot.

It actually would make the most sense (IMO) later in the season to bring Bass off the bench with Darko or Wilcox and Green at the SF. It will be some combination of Jet, Rondo, Lee and Bradley as the backcourt with this second unit. It will be capable of so much offense that we will not need to worry about trading anyone later this season unless we have key a injury.

If we do make a trade for a backup PG it should be Jarret Jack. ;)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku