Author Topic: Celtics Closer: Pierce or Terry?  (Read 5312 times)

Celtics Closer: Pierce or Terry?
« on: October 05, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »

LEHGOCELTICS

We have two of the most prolific scorers in the league come crunch time. As much as Dirk hit his share of threes, Terry was also a monster come the fourth quarter. With this in mind, during the final stages of a game, do you guys still see Pierce engaging in iso situations, Terry getting free reign, or even Rondo stepping up as a crunch time scorer this year? I know it's early in the season, but some food for thought. God, we're so blessed to have this team. Go Celtics!

Re: Celtics Closer: Pierce or Terry?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:43:11 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think Pierce will still be the go-to guy simply because he can score in so many ways - he can spot up, he can post up or he can score off the dribble.

If Pierce is covered well though, the ability to defer to Terry will be massive for us...and I'm sure there will be times where Doc will draw up the final play for the Jet as well.

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 02:01:12 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Pierce.

Terry has been good in crunch time.  But Pierce has been one of the absolute best point creators in crunch time consistently for years and still was last year.

On this team, when it comes down to the wire, you want the ball in Pierce's hands.  He's the best we have at turning the ball into points, whether that's on a drive, a fall-away, a 3, a post-up or at the foul line or by passing to an open teammate (Pierce gets a a LOT of assists during crunch time).

Terry should be one of his options on the court and will take his share of 'last shots'.  But it should all key off Pierce.  He's our best offensive player.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 03:11:51 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I think it goes back to before last season.

We have 3 seasoned vets on the floor at the same time. Pick your poison.

Except this time, we also have the best passer and we have the Jet instead who can come off the screen for a pick and roll.

Doc also has the option to put in JG who can cut/create, Courtney who can space the floor even more, Bass who shoots mid range shots at the rate of layups and Sully who grabs the miss if need be.

Once again I've typed too much. In short my answer would be neither.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 04:04:01 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Pierce, because of Doc. Also, he's earned it. I don't love the Pierce isolation play in the last 15 seconds but I do think he's earned it.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 04:21:25 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I certainly understand the hype and excitement about the Jet being a Celtic, as I'm excited as anyone about it myself, but I think it gets a bit beyond the realistic at times, especially when he has yet to solidify himself a place on this team, or a clearly defined role and chemistry with the rest of the members. Let's wait at least until mid-season befopre giving him chances at a clutch scoring spot that Pierce took years to appreciate and earn.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 09:28:47 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
If the end of the regular season and the playoffs were any indication, it will depend much on matchups. This means imo that Rondo should have the ball most of the time, because few point guards can really stop him. If Pierce has the more favorable matchup, he should have it though. In special cases (like the Bulls  and perhaps the Heat), Jet will probably have the best matchup, and we can put the ball in his hands.
But it is really a three headed monster plus KG as a very clutch finisher and  Green/Bass/Sullinger as the fifth option...

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 11:47:28 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I think pierce is still going to be the go-to-guy

but I have a feeling Terry is going to hit some big shots for us this year.

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
I would compare this to the relationship Pierce and Ray had : Pierce is the definite closer, but the Celtics often went with Ray for the game changing 3.

I do trust Terry's three more than Pierce.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 02:01:26 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I certainly understand the hype and excitement about the Jet being a Celtic, as I'm excited as anyone about it myself, but I think it gets a bit beyond the realistic at times, especially when he has yet to solidify himself a place on this team, or a clearly defined role and chemistry with the rest of the members. Let's wait at least until mid-season befopre giving him chances at a clutch scoring spot that Pierce took years to appreciate and earn.

I'm not sure it goes "beyond the realistic." Since 2007-2008, the first year that 82Games.com started tracking these numbers, Terry has ranked 16th, 12th, 25th, 14th, and 13th in the league in "close and late" scoring output. He is an elite end-of-game scorer.

Take a look at this list:

http://www.82games.com/1112/CSORT11.HTM

His scoring average is roughly 35 per 48 minutes in those situations - very similar to Pierce.  Not too different from other elite end-of-game guys like Anthony, Durant etc. He's "taken years" to establish this as much as Pierce has.

What is even more exceptional is Terry's efficiency in these situations. Last year he shot 45/39/93 in the "clutch," and the year before 51/44/94.

Now having said that, I think Pierce is still the primary option. But what I think we will see is a lot more flexibility in the sets.

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
In answer to your three questions, yes, yes, and yes.  Doc's choices seem limitless...there is no way for the opponent to guess which option he will choose on any given night.  (and don't forget KG....)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 02:52:30 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think it will be Rondo. I think the ball will go through him in late game situations. If we're talking about a last minute shot it could be either Pierce or Jet.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 03:12:47 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

Once again I've typed too much. In short my answer would be neither.
Ha! My initial reaction was both. :)

I just think it's going to depend on what the opponent gives the C's, and with Pierce, Terry, KG, Green and Rondo (for example) on the floor they'll have to give the C's an open look somewhere. If Rondo can start consistently knocking down jumpers teams will have to keep a man on him and then somebody is always going to be wide open...so "open man sinks the dagger."

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 03:15:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I would compare this to the relationship Pierce and Ray had : Pierce is the definite closer, but the Celtics often went with Ray for the game changing 3.

This is the correct answer. Unless of course Darko is open for a 3. When you've got a choice between two dynamic scorers and a wide open 7ft serbian hatchet man, you got 7ft serbian hatchetman.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 04:02:08 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
All of the above. 

I think it's quite likely that Doc will go with a lineup of

Rondo
Terry
Pierce