Author Topic: what i saw in today's game  (Read 13328 times)

Re: what i saw in today's game
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2012, 08:26:29 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
move Pierce to SG.  Start Jeff Green at SF... trade Bradley, Bass and Sully for a legit big man or Josh Smith... This Roster still seems a little weird to me.  A lot of average pieces who are slightly redundant.
Pierce would get destroyed playing guard, imagine pierce defending beal or Eric Gordon, just doesn't work, he's too slow IMO
But then imagine those guys trying to guard Pierce?  I've seen Pierce do a solid job on D against guys like Kobe and Wade, who like to take smaller guards in the post.  Pierce's best years statistically were at the 2.
And with Green emerging as probably the 4th best player on the team it seems like the only way to get him into the starting lineup.  He's clearly better as a 3 than a 4 and needs to play more than 18 minutes a game if Pierce plays about 30 a game at the 3.

Someone suggested JG guards the 2.

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2012, 08:43:41 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Pierce would be as much or a mismatch at this basket as any allegedly too quick SG would be for Pierce to cover at the other end.

I wouldn't be petrified that an Eric Gordon was going to "destroy" Pierce.  I would actually be surprised that Gordon was actually healthy enough to be playing an NBA game

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2012, 09:17:11 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
And with Green emerging as probably the 4th best player on the team it seems like the only way to get him into the starting lineup.  He's clearly better as a 3 than a 4 and needs to play more than 18 minutes a game if Pierce plays about 30 a game at the 3.

And if this happens, how exactly do we find playing time for Courtney Lee, Jason Terry and Avery Bradley?

P.s.

I have more faith in Jeff Green at the 4 then Pierce at
the 2...

I can imagine that Pierce trying to guard more athletic two's will look somewhat like Bass last season trying to guard Lebron...

The end result?  Can't stay with the man, other defenders need to come over to help, increases the risk of the interior defenders (and/or Pierce) picking up a quick foul.

I'm sure Piece would have no problems playing the 2 spot against bigger, stronger and/or less mobile SGs (Joe Johnson, Ray Allen, etc) but against the quicker guys out there I don't tink the result would be pleasant.

More importantly again, just because Green may become our 4th best player, doesn't mean we need him starting.  Look at the approach that SAS have taken with Ginobilli (and now S Jackson), and the Thunder with Harden - each of those guys is a top 3 player on their team, buy they have been more valuable providing consistent scoring off the bench. 

With Terry and Green we basically have two James Harden's now, and I kinda like that we have this kind of firepower on our second unit.

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
stayed up and watched the replay of the whole thing for the first time.

Pierce finally looks healthy.  ;D
KG seems fit as well.
We are so freakin Lucky ... to have Sully and Darko.  These guys FINALLY gave the Celtics a semblance of rebounding under the basket. I was glued to the TV watching them work. 

Sully , Darko and Green played really well. Considering Darkos short time with team , he was great. FIghting , knocking heads, going after the ball anytime it was reboundable. Finally ...whew!!

Sully is good already , he is force in the paint. He has a skill no one other than ROndo has,  Barkley's nose for the ball and getting it up and in over taller guys.  He should move Bass out by mid season. Doc loves this kid ( SUlly is gonna play ) he plays years ahead of his age, he adds such a critical element to the Celtics game. He needs alotof work on D , but he is what 20 years old ??? WOW!!!

Green played like James Worthy , smooth and precise. He needs to be IN the game WHEN Pierce is out for us to win.

Liked JET, he poped em in like Allen right on time. He also played smart "D", not wasting movement.

Even though C. Lee 's shot was off , he played intense "D" and hussled after every ball.  "A" for effort.

If we had Bradley to stick with "BO" we would have destroyed them with our second team. They are built the same and speed , it would have been a aewsome matchup.

This game showed again HOW IMPORTANT Avery is to this team playing against a team with a lightening quick guard.  Had he been in, the whole game would have changed with his defensive intensity on the ball, not letting BO have his way. in the lane.

We could use Josh Smith , but NOT at the expense of Bradley and Sully.

Offensively in my eyes Celtics rated B+ , Defensively I give em a C rating , we REALLY miss Bradley.  Rondo and AB drive the intensity at the point of the ball at BOTH ends of the court.   
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:45:31 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2012, 09:27:15 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
[dang] I really want to watch the game. The more I read about it the more excited I am.

celtics.com says Rondo scored 7 in a row. 3-9 but I've seen people compliment his play a lot. Only 1 guy knocked him on his TO's.

So many questions. I need the freaking game.

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 10:04:15 AM »

Offline TheWatersEdge

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Sullinger, already has this defined calmness and poise and just lets the game just flow to him.  Incredibly skilled player for a rookie. I'd also suggest he could be a very special player. He will start over Bass I'm guessing by the end of this year or next year just due to his nose for the ball and great positioning.

Green also looked comfortable and Doc really showcased his versatility.  What I think we all could take away is that in the 4th, Jeff ran the show and also seemed to score at will.  I think we can all be excited and hopeful that he will be a major piece this season as he continues to get his legs under him.

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2012, 10:05:05 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
My game one thoughts;

Rondo is going to have a great year. Sully is going to provide a lot for us, I like him already. I'm gonna love terry and green off the bench. I think green is going to be huge for us this year which is exciting. I actually like darko in the middle and hope he gets play time... For some odd reason, and I don't know what it is, I don't think I'm going to like Courtney lee...

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2012, 10:20:26 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
move Pierce to SG.  Start Jeff Green at SF... trade Bradley, Bass and Sully for a legit big man or Josh Smith... This Roster still seems a little weird to me.  A lot of average pieces who are slightly redundant.
Pierce would get destroyed playing guard, imagine pierce defending beal or Eric Gordon, just doesn't work, he's too slow IMO
But then imagine those guys trying to guard Pierce?  I've seen Pierce do a solid job on D against guys like Kobe and Wade, who like to take smaller guards in the post.  Pierce's best years statistically were at the 2.

Someone suggested JG guards the 2.

It's been a few years since I've seen Jeff Green defend the two for any period of time ... but he really struggled there when asked to defend SGs early in his career.

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2012, 10:32:05 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I only got to catch a little more than the first quarter, but what I saw of Sully I thought he was kind of slow.  What impressions did others get of his speed up and down the court?

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2012, 10:57:56 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

It's been a few years since I've seen Jeff Green defend the two for any period of time
The same can't be said for Pierce?  Neither should play it full time, but anytime they're in there together I think it's painstakingly obvious that JG is the guard.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2012, 11:03:16 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

It's been a few years since I've seen Jeff Green defend the two for any period of time
The same can't be said for Pierce?  Neither should play it full time, but anytime they're in there together I think it's painstakingly obvious that JG is the guard.
I trust Pierce more = Experience and superior fundamentals / positioning defensively.

I would try both guys out defending SGs but I would expect Pierce to be the better option.

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2012, 11:33:37 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
some things that I took away from the game

1. This might be the first time Doc gives a rookie meaningful time....Sullinger is the real-deal..he looks like a Vet out there with his decision-making and poise...plus it helps that he has a nose for the ball, and plays under the basket

2. maybe its too early, but gone are the days our bench scores 2 points....with Terry, Green, Sullinger(and Lee when bradley comes back) this bench is going to have some serious firepower.

3. Rondo is going to have a good year...he was hitting his free throws and Jumper. if he is more aggressive offensively the league better watch out

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Melo's block
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS22hBSyggU

game highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzh_Tg67y0Q&feature=watch_response_rev

Melo's got some crazy athleticism, there.

He moved quickly and was in the air fast enough to get all ball on that one.

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 02:37:59 PM »

Offline ummidkme

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Green also looked comfortable and Doc really showcased his versatility.  What I think we all could take away is that in the 4th, Jeff ran the show and also seemed to score at will.  I think we can all be excited and hopeful that he will be a major piece this season as he continues to get his legs under him.

Watching the game I think Green should be the point-forward for the 2nd Unit. Terry is an okay ball handler that works best off the ball and pick-and-rolls. Green if he continues to play like he did in the 4th Quarter knows how to make the right play. He showcased a great combination of attack and making the right play.