Author Topic: what i saw in today's game  (Read 13303 times)

what i saw in today's game
« on: October 05, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Finally first Celtics game this season. We lost, but the score wasn't the most important thing today. Plus it was a good test because Fenerbahce is a very good team, i have watched these players many times because i'm from europe i follow euro league.

What i saw tonight?

1. Rondo is Rondo. one word - leader, plus hopefully we will see improvment in his shooting this season.

2. KG and PP looked good. No need to talked about them just saying they look fit and not old.

3. Jason Terry and Jeff Green made this bench the best Celtics bench since 2007. Terry's scoring and Green versatility will create great balance between the first and second unit.

4.Courtney Lee - i hope this was just a bad game for him because he was dissapointing in both ends. In the offense he didn't shoot well, didn't create anything and defensivly, lot of points were scored over him. Avery Bradley will be our starter for sure.

5.Jared Sullinger - doesn't look like a rookie. Fitting so well with the team, showing how good rebounder he is and he can also score. He has a nose for rebounds and takes very good positions inside. Only problem could be defending bigger guys who scored easily over him.

6. Fab Melo will see a lot of D-league time.

-lineups 

Garnett and Milicic will not play together. Way too slow lineup. KG will be a full time centar. Milicic will come of the bench he will not start.

Rondo - Bradley will be starting backcourt for us.

Bold prediction from myself Sullinger will start. KG and Sully fit really good and bench of Milicic,Bass,Green,Lee,Terry sounds great

Re: what i saw in today's game
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 05:17:26 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Courtney Lee got screwed by the whistle today. I thought he did a good job of not losing his cool

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 05:19:06 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
i was always high on sullinger. still cannot believe we were abble to draft him.

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 05:20:40 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
6 fouls on him maybe refs made mistakes but also people scored over him, 7pts 0 ast

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 05:21:31 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Sully and Green looked fantastic. The others will come around in due time.

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
i was always high on sullinger. still cannot believe we were abble to draft him.

Sullinger got 5-6 offensive rebounds. Great positioning inside plus 16pts

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 05:27:52 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Lee is going to be an interesting one to watch.  I think his ideal role, will force him to really master the system before he is really effective.  He is going to have to really learn the tendencies of the other players, and know how to play off them.  That can take time. 

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 05:28:04 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So I'm hearing that Darko looked decent. Given that Fab probably will be D-league, and our other option for a true C is Collins, hopefully Darko can step up.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 05:33:11 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I didn't get to see the game, but I keep seeing a lot of positive comments about Jeff and Sully. Can some give a little more insight into how those two played? I'd be most appreciative :)
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 05:36:53 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
So I'm hearing that Darko looked decent. Given that Fab probably will be D-league, and our other option for a true C is Collins, hopefully Darko can step up.

He is big, he is great blocker great rim protector and solid rebounder. Milicic will be a solid role player against teams with bigger centers. He is kind a slow so he will not see to many minutes, i expect a lot of small lineup with KG and Green against teams like Miami but having a 7footer who can block shots is alwais welcome against Howard, Hibbert, Bynum.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
I didn't get to see the game, but I keep seeing a lot of positive comments about Jeff and Sully. Can some give a little more insight into how those two played? I'd be most appreciative :)

Like i sad before Jeff versatility will be huge this season. Big 3 or small 4 Jeff looked healty and ready. He scored i think 15pts. If he was a better rebounder he could be a starter...

Sullinger looked like he is veteran not a rookie. I think he fits good with KG. almost all of his 16pts were near the rim. There he should play, inside. With 5-6 off rebs he got a lot of easy points. He is 6'9 but he is a centar on the offensive end. On the other end there is a problem bigger guys scored over him but if he plays with KG is a solid balance of scoring,defense,rebounding

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
It was just a pre-season game, and due to playing time, perhaps Bass couldn't get into a rhythm.  But Sullinger looked better, and will certainly push Bass for his spot in the lineup.

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 05:47:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Finally first Celtics game this season. We lost, but the score wasn't the most important thing today. Plus it was a good test because Fenerbahce is a very good team, i have watched these players many times because i'm from europe i follow euro league.

What i saw tonight?

1. Rondo is Rondo. one word - leader, plus hopefully we will see improvment in his shooting this season.

2. KG and PP looked good. No need to talked about them just saying they look fit and not old.

3. Jason Terry and Jeff Green made this bench the best Celtics bench since 2007. Terry's scoring and Green versatility will create great balance between the first and second unit.

4.Courtney Lee - i hope this was just a bad game for him because he was dissapointing in both ends. In the offense he didn't shoot well, didn't create anything and defensivly, lot of points were scored over him. Avery Bradley will be our starter for sure.

5.Jared Sullinger - doesn't look like a rookie. Fitting so well with the team, showing how good rebounder he is and he can also score. He has a nose for rebounds and takes very good positions inside. Only problem could be defending bigger guys who scored easily over him.

6. Fab Melo will see a lot of D-league time.

-lineups 

Garnett and Milicic will not play together. Way too slow lineup. KG will be a full time centar. Milicic will come of the bench he will not start.

Rondo - Bradley will be starting backcourt for us.

Bold prediction from myself Sullinger will start. KG and Sully fit really good and bench of Milicic,Bass,Green,Lee,Terry sounds great
I am eja and I approve this message

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 05:47:20 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
When Avery comes back we'll be a nasty starting 5.
Lee is going to take a while but he'll find his niche coming off picks and running all game.

I'm still convinced that the load up of Lee, Terry and Bradley means that we are making a serious move come trade deadline- and that trade probably includes Bass+ Avery+Melo.
It just doesn't make sense to me that we've loaded up on two largish contracts with Terry + Lee with Avery due for re-upping soon.

I feel our bench is going to be monstrous. Sully, Green and Terry, with Wilcox coming back in and Melo bringing energy and a great attitude- wow we're deep, with running legs and SCORING, something we've died without for 3 years now.

Only thing I'm worried about Lee getting continuity quickly with the starters-but his defense is pretty good.

side note...
Did anyone see KG get up off the bench in elation when Fab Melo had that monster block? He's obviously becoming emotionally invested in Melo which means Melo must be doing something right- which is pleasing.
Melo's rotations were decent and his lateral footwork and timing is excellent. He'd be a very good boxer and I've always felt that a rookie big man with good footwork and a good attitude is hard to find in the NBA.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 05:48:47 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Sullinger continued to show his incredibly soft hands. He caught a couple bullets from Rondo that led to easy baskets and showed his very nice footwork in the post by just avoiding guys. A lot of times he puts up a shot and it might look too hard off the glass but because his touch is so deft it just goes in. We were a visibly better rebounding team with him on the floor.
Jeff was somewhat quiet until the 4th quarter where he was in there with a lot of the rookies. He took over and scored at will like 4 times by just going to his right and putting in little 3 quarter hooks. He even spun one off the far right of the backboard that went in.