Author Topic: Royce White  (Read 2318 times)

Royce White
« on: October 05, 2012, 06:19:01 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm almost sure the Rockets would at least listen so I'd offer them next year's 1st round pick. Here is why we do it:

We don't need him this year. He can take up a spot on our roster and we can work with him this year and next. Our pick next draft is going to be in the late 20s. Royce is a star player who needs some help. He won't be great on a rebuilding team and he's clearly having trouble in Houston. Let's put in a year or two of work getting him ready for an NBA career. If he stays in the league he'll be an allstar.

The reason Houston does it:

They don't need him either. The have a new PG (White is packaged as a 'Point Forward') and a backlog at PF. They might welcome a way out of this even if it means giving up a pick in the teens for a pick in the 20s. They certainly don't need a point forward who MIGHT be able to make 50/82 games depending on his anxiety.

I think taking a 2yr/3.4M flyer on a guy that is built like Lebron and had top 5 pick talent isn't a bad idea. I also think we could sacrifice Christmas (who won't see floor time anyway) and pick (maybe even a 1st and a 2nd) for a legitimate prospect in White.

And since Houston is about 1 deep at the center position I might try to move Melo instead of the 2st rounder. Some combination of Melo and our 1st and 2nd rounders next year would easily net us White. I'm not sure I do it for Melo and a 1st but I'd sure think about it.

Re: Royce White
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 07:22:33 AM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
melo is worth more than next years first or second rounder.

So white cant even make it to training camp and you want to trade melo and a first rounder for him?
And maybe throw in a 2nd rounder?

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 07:41:44 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The Rockets will look pretty bad if they immediately try to trade White without first working with him a bit.

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 07:51:52 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think the Rockets should still try to work with him.

The man IS talented - but he does have a condition. As he struggles with it, I hope the Rockets don't give up on him.

It's quite an unusual situation.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:00:03 AM »

Offline Valentines_at_Popeyes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 35
I strongly feel we should not trade for White.  He's talented and I wish him the best but I dont like our chances.  We dont need that kind of constant challenge.

Can you imagine how the boards would combust if we lost a playoff game or series because White was away on medical leave? 

I have a lot of sympathy for White but we need reliable players who can put in the work and do the grind.  I dont disparage White's will or intentions but I fear it will continue to be short circuited by his intense anxiety illness. 

I wish White the best but I dont want him to be a Celtic.  I'm not sure time and effort can treat his issue as far as is required to be a legit force in the NBA.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:38:03 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I would need an extensive interview with him, his agent, his lawyer, and a long phone call with his former coaches before I consider this

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 09:51:47 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Unless Keyon Dooling's deal was non-guaranteed, the Celtics are brushing very close to the hard cap line.  White makes $400K more than Melo, and they simply might not be able to afford it and maintain any flexibility to add a vet for the minimum in February or March.  It may sound silly, but I'm not certain that Royce White is worth that extra $400K at this point.

I also think that there is value in trying to develop an athletic 7-footer, even if he doesn't offer much for the next two years.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 10:30:44 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
no thanks.  despite the talent, don't need the headcase.  didn't want him in the draft, don't want him after the draft.  let the Rockets deal with him.  The one bonus (from my perspective) is that it's one less person JJJ has to compete with for a spot in Houston's rotation.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 10:35:10 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
no thanks.  despite the talent, don't need the headcase.  didn't want him in the draft, don't want him after the draft.  let the Rockets deal with him.  The one bonus (from my perspective) is that it's one less person JJJ has to compete with for a spot in Houston's rotation.

Royce White is not a headcase.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/10/3/3448092/royce-white-houston-rockets-training-camp-anxiety-disorder

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 06:02:21 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
You know I can really buy into that "White isn't a headcase" thing. Aside from the political correctness argument (I know he's disabled not crazy) I'm not sure that he's going to be able play ever and I don't want to give up anything for a guy who won't see the floor.

I agree with eja117 that before the trade we'd need to seriously work it out but think about the future if White pans out (and we get him for pick(s):

Rondo
AB/Lee
Green/White
Bass/Sully
Melo

Obviously we need a center but that is a pretty awesome young core built on the fly.

I view it as a flyer. Yeah I'd rather keep Melo and just give up a pick or two but taking a chance on a guy who cost 3.4M over 2 years and is ridiculously talented is just something I'd chance. I also believe that Doc and the Celtics organization are a good place for Royce to find his place in the NBA. He can work in slow because our roster is set this season anyway. I'm having trouble even seeing Sullinger getting play time.

As for $, I think Xmas is only 25K guaranteed which (if we cut him for White) would put us almost exactly at the apron.