Author Topic: Celtics at Fenerbahce Ulker 10/5  (Read 30800 times)

Re: Celtics at Fenerbahce Ulker 10/5
« Reply #165 on: October 06, 2012, 12:53:54 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
I think what you saw from Jason Collins is about what to expect this year from him

« Reply #166 on: October 06, 2012, 04:09:22 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
The best part about that block was it went right to a team mate.  I'd like to believe he planned it that way, instead of hitting as far as he could into the stands like some other guys like to do...
Exactly! The timing, the jump, the quickness are great, but if he can regularly turn blocks into outlet passes then he goes up a notch to legendary. 

I'm really leery of using Russell's name in this post, but that was part of what made Bill's game so, so, very, outstanding. Not only would he block you, but he'd block it to Cousy who would have in your basket so fast your head would spin. Another part of Russell's magic was the tip block to himself followed by a fast outlet pass. We haven't see Melo do that yet. A third part was that Bill never seemed to leave the ground before his opponent and his jump was quick enough so he still blocked their shots....I've never seen anybody as good at that as he was.

« Reply #167 on: October 06, 2012, 05:53:56 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
I think what you saw from Jason Collins is about what to expect this year from him

You mean nothing?

« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Also, anyone concerned about the Courtney Lee disappearing act?

« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

Ever had a day when nothing when your way ?  I thinking Lee had a day when he wanted so bad to shine, and everything went to pot. 

The attitude and energy were clearly there , the result was not.  This calmness under fire is what makes Sully such an amazing young player.  Lee was frustrated, the harder he tried the worse things got.

I look for KG to work with FAB and get him reigned in and focus better. 

It was all good,  Lee and Fab are gonna be alright . 

I liked what I saw , just now  a matter of ajustments and practice for Doc and the team.

« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2012, 07:30:18 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
lol @ dissapearing act after 1 preseason game u cant be serious man

« Reply #171 on: October 06, 2012, 07:46:09 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Am I the only one that wasn't overly impressed with the block?

I mean compared to just last year with Stiemsma?  That kid had some of the dirtiest blocks I've seen in a long time on this team (and very rarely sent out of bounds).

I was more impressed with that block than with most of the ones we saw from Steimsma.

The impressive thing about this one is that Sullinger was the primary defender on that play - he jumped to contest the shot initially, but didn't get high enough to affect it.  Melo could have easilly taken on a "CBF im a rookie" attitude and just left it to Sully but instead he came over to help and practically jumped OVER Sulllinger to swat that thing.

Also it wasn't just a one off, his goaltend in the first quarter was just as emphatic and was a mere half second away from being a legit block.  That's two MONSTER blocks in only 8 minutes of playing time...and that impresses me!

Don't get me wrong Greg was a hell of a shot blocker, but he wasn't super-atheletic and never got crazy elevation, he typically just got himself in good positions and then defended with his hands and body.  The plus side is that he got a lot of blocks this way, but the down side is he almost always got just as many fouls (if not more) as he did blocks. I never found that he was a very good one-on-one defender, and any time he didn't block opponents shots he was usually either letting them score or sending them to the line.

Looking at Melo he seems to play defense with his feet.  There was a play there on defense where he just got into position, stood his ground, and raised his arms in the air.  His reach was so insanely long that the defender had no hope in hell of shooting it over him , and because he was in position and not swiping at the ball there was no foul call.  That is smart defense, and to see that excites me even more than the block becuase it means he doesn't just block shots, he's a legitimate low post defender.

I honestly believe that defensively he is NBA ready right now.  It's only his offense that clearly needs a LOT of work. 

Yes and no. 

I wasn't concerned about the missed shots - we all know Lee can shoot, and he's proven that over the last several seasons.  I'm pretty sure he just had an off game, and it could also have to do with pre-season rust that's yet to be shaken off.

I also thought his decision making was sound.  I thought he took good shots and looked solid handling the ball, the shots just didn't go in.

I was more concerned on defense where I thought he played with inconsistent effort.  At some points he looked agile and quick footed on Defense, while at other times opponents seemed to go straight past him like he was standing still.

I don't think he's ever going to be an all-star, but he is athletic and seems fairly fundamentally sound. If he can play defense with more consistency (and his shots start falling) then I think he'll be an important part of the team.

It's so funny right now looking at this team with all the talent we have, and then thinking back to our past teams when the second-string guys we depended on were guys like Keeyon Dooling, Von Wafer, Brian Scalabrine and Leon Powe. 

On any one of those teams a guy like Courtney Lee would have been our #1 scoring option off the bench, yet right once Avery returns I see him potentialy being our 4th option off the bench (behind Terry, Green and possible Sullinger if he keeps playing this way).

Our depth is just insane.