Author Topic: Start Darko?  (Read 8303 times)

Re: Start Darko?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 10:23:38 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I just don't understand how so many people are willing to try a rookie who has not played 1min let alone 1 NBA game, the nod as a starter but not a guy who has proven he can get you about 9 and 5 in the NBA... I mean, what was PERK giving that was so much better than that? Yeah, he and KG fit together great defensively but Darko hasn't had that chance... KG makes almost everyone look better next to him (see Perk in OKC)! I hear people say they aren't judging him based off the #2 pick, but I'm doubting that because if you weren't then you wouldn't be saying how horrible he is... no one is saying he is a star but come on now, the guy isn't as bad as a lot of you say either!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 10:33:38 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
I just don't understand how so many people are willing to try a rookie who has not played 1min let alone 1 NBA game, the nod as a starter but not a guy who has proven he can get you about 9 and 5 in the NBA... I mean, what was PERK giving that was so much better than that? Yeah, he and KG fit together great defensively but Darko hasn't had that chance... KG makes almost everyone look better next to him (see Perk in OKC)! I hear people say they aren't judging him based off the #2 pick, but I'm doubting that because if you weren't then you wouldn't be saying how horrible he is... no one is saying he is a star but come on now, the guy isn't as bad as a lot of you say either!

if melo plays at the same level as darko, melo should get the nod just because his further development will make the team better later on.

I personally hope melo and darko play well enough to move kg to pf, so that kg preserves his health and plays 2 additional years.

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 11:15:59 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

if melo plays at the same level as darko, melo should get the nod just because his further development will make the team better later on.

I personally hope melo and darko play well enough to move kg to pf, so that kg preserves his health and plays 2 additional years.

This is an interesting comment considering Doc has stated numerous times that KG is a center now precisely because he has speed and quickness advantages now against centers that he didn't have against 4s. It's been him playing as a 5 that's helping him to remain effective enough to play 2 additional years.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 11:16:13 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Sorry, I was talking about Sully. There has been LITTLE talk about Melo starting (heck, most think he won't sniff the court unless in Maine). Sully on the other hand gets props as if he is second year coming off of ROY! Darko, at this point is better than Sully, I don't care what anyone says! Maybe Sully will be better in the end (maybe this season) but come on now people... wake up!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Sorry, I was talking about Sully. There has been LITTLE talk about Melo starting (heck, most think he won't sniff the court unless in Maine). Sully on the other hand gets props as if he is second year coming off of ROY! Darko, at this point is better than Sully, I don't care what anyone says! Maybe Sully will be better in the end (maybe this season) but come on now people... wake up!

You're basing that on Darko's experience, right? Because, if you're basing that on his play the last few years, I think your concept of the player is a lot different than mine, and that of the fans of the Grizzlies, Knicks, and Timberwolves.

For all Darko's court time, he has likely more question marks about him as Sullinger and his bad back.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 12:18:08 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I love Garnett at center. Some - no - most disagree but I feel like it was one of the main reasons he rose from the ashes.

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 12:27:42 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I love Garnett at center. Some - no - most disagree but I feel like it was one of the main reasons he rose from the ashes.

I don't think people disagree on the basis that he's not effective there. The most logical disagreement is that it's less taxing on his body, so it extends his odds of keeping healthy, which will literally define how well the Cs will fare this season.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 12:43:35 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I think starting Darko will give the Celtics a lineup very similar to the one the team had at the start of last season when Jermaine O'Neal was still starting.

The team played much better when they played smaller and got more quickness on the court with Brandon Bass. And then better again when Avery Bradley checked in for Ray Allen.

I think continuing with the quickness instead of size is Boston's best bet.
Yup, and it might just be me but I feel KG at the 5 is good for him and doesn't beat him up health wise. There aren't a lot of big body centers. It's a slower pace look at Duncan it's served him well.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 01:04:51 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

I don't think people disagree on the basis that he's not effective there. The most logical disagreement is that it's less taxing on his body, so it extends his odds of keeping healthy, which will literally define how well the Cs will fare this season.

My mistake. That is very correct.

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 03:16:03 AM »

fitzhickey

I am starting to get really nervous about Darko. Because, I'm starting to believe its different for him now.

I still think him starting next to KG isis unlikely, but I'm starting to really believe that he will at least be able to give 20 good reserve minutes at the 5, which would spell KG nicely.

My initial opinion after the Darko signing is still what I hope we see:

PF: Bass(25) Sully(15) Green (7)
C: KG (28) Darko/Wilcox mop up the rest
Agreed and I would add that if Wilcox doesnt get healthy and get back in the rotation soon? Darko and Sullinger may both end up with more minutes than expected in the long run.

C: Garnett 25 mpg Darko 15 mpg Melo/Collins/Sullinger 8 mpg

PF: Bass 30 mpg Sullinger 12 mpg Green 6 mpg
In my mind bass gets too many minutes in the proposed.

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 04:01:11 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I am starting to get really nervous about Darko. Because, I'm starting to believe its different for him now.

I still think him starting next to KG isis unlikely, but I'm starting to really believe that he will at least be able to give 20 good reserve minutes at the 5, which would spell KG nicely.

Agreed and I would add that if Wilcox doesnt get healthy and get back in the rotation soon? Darko and Sullinger may both end up with more minutes than expected in the long run.

I Ihope he can be decent makes u cringe just thinking Darko is our first big off the bench
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

I Ihope he can be decent makes u cringe just thinking Darko is our first big off the bench

The Celtics' braintrust is making a concerted effort to create a concrete role for Darko that the guy can actually thrive with - shot blocking rebounder who sets picks and plays physical.  It doesn't make me cringe at all if he's the first player off the bench if he's doing those things well, and is throwing his huge body around in the paint.

To me, Darko isn't the second pick flop.  He's just another of Ainge's Bargain Bigs. I'm willing to give him a chance, despite his horrible career so far.  If he thrives here, it will certainly make an 18th title easier than trying to play small all the time.   

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 04:47:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Darko and Sulls and the JET  R O C K !!!

Celtic ball is back !!

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

I am not sure I follow the logic that playing center is less taxing on KG's body.   I know PFs may run a little more but isn't he going to take more banging playing center?

I think we are better overall with KG at PF, so long as we have a decent guy to play C, which we haven't had all that often.  The beginning of last season with Shaq comes to mind as an example of us playing well with KG at PF.

So if Darko can step up enough, KG can play more at PF.  If Darko doesn't, Green or Bass or Sullinger get the PF minutes and KG can play center.  I like the versitility, I just think it is about the players, not which position is more or less taxing on KG.

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 05:24:10 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

This is an interesting comment considering Doc has stated numerous times that KG is a center now precisely because he has speed and quickness advantages now against centers that he didn't have against 4s. It's been him playing as a 5 that's helping him to remain effective enough to play 2 additional years.

That's exactly right, KG from now until he hangs it up is a center, and that's that. Doc said it, KG knows it. It allows us to get the most out of what KG is now. It doesn't matter how well Darko or Melo play, KG is the starting center. It doesn't mean we can't have Darko and KG on the floor together during key stretches based on matchups, but they won't be starting together. Also, knowing Doc, it's more likely that we have Pierce and Green together at the 4 and 5 than ever having a lineup with two 7 footers out there together.