Author Topic: Start Darko?  (Read 8331 times)

Start Darko?
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:04:39 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Two questions in one; should he and/or will Darko.  Sounds crazy, I know.  But he is a legit center, and while he isn't a great (of even necessarily good) player, he isn't a complete stiff either.  Beyond that, we know KG doesn't love the idea of playing center.   Not suggesting he play starters minutes or finish games but putting a bruiser on the first team (and Bass on the second team) may not be the worst idea. .

Okay, now go ahead and bash me.

Re: Start Darko?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 08:34:38 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I actually don't see this as all that far fetched.  He will have to step it up a little from what he has shown (or at least be more consistent) but we are a very good team with KG at PF.

I would be delighted if Darko played well enough to start.  Bass is fine but he is really fringe starter in my opinion so he is not a lock by any means.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:44:59 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I think Darko is a starter on average teams. However, I think I want him off the bench as a change from what KG brings at center on this team... I want other teams to get lulled into our more finesse center (KG), then get knocked out of their shoes by Darko when KG sits. Since KG is doing 5-5-5 then it's really going to put other teams into a whirl! I can't wait!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I think Darko is best serve on the bench, playing the role of shot blocker when KG rests. (I'm hopeful that Darko proves worthy of a rotation spot and 15-20 minutes of action per game).

But if he outright out plays Bass, and is worthy of more minutes, then bring on the starter role.

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think starting Darko will give the Celtics a lineup very similar to the one the team had at the start of last season when Jermaine O'Neal was still starting.

The team played much better when they played smaller and got more quickness on the court with Brandon Bass. And then better again when Avery Bradley checked in for Ray Allen.

I think continuing with the quickness instead of size is Boston's best bet.

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 08:55:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I could see Doc starting Collins or Darko ahead of Bass situationally on rare occasions. Like against the Lakers (Pau and Dwight) and Philly (Bynum). Maybe a couple of others. Like Atlanta did with Jason Collins against Orlando.

Short of that, I think Boston should keep Garnett at center and start a PF (Bass) alongside him.

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 09:23:11 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Unless Darko had a heart and brain transplant over the summer, we are going to be in big trouble if he comes even close to playing starters minutes for us.  He has been a dud for close to a decade.  And I've gotten to watch plenty of his games while he was with the wolves. 

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 09:35:27 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Aside from Darko's questionable ability, it also doesn't best utilize our talent.  I really think that there's a real case to be made for our four most talented big men being KG, Bass, Green, and Sullinger.  All of them are truly power forwards (or smaller in Green's case).

Thus, it really doens't make sense to push KG to the 4 spot and take minutes away from those guys. 

I think the best case is that Darko improves a bit under KG's tutelage and from Rondo's passing and ends up being a very solid backup center to KG for 20 minutes per night. 

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 09:45:59 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
I don't see why Doc would do this since KG has been super effective at 5 and Bass is doing great as our starter 4.

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 09:53:32 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Unless Darko had a heart and brain transplant over the summer, we are going to be in big trouble if he comes even close to playing starters minutes for us.  He has been a dud for close to a decade.  And I've gotten to watch plenty of his games while he was with the wolves.

This I can't agree with, Doc won't play someone if it isn't absolutely necessary (and barely even then). If he is the starter there could be a few reasons 1) He is playing very well as a starter (w/ KG) 2) injuries (if KG is out we are in trouble no matter who we start, season will be over if it's a long time he will be out) 3) if Bass goes down. 2 of the 3 reasons I listed will not hurt us the only one that will be horrible for us is if we lose KG... if that's the case, no big available would have made up for that loss! KG is important enough that a guy like Dwight or Bynum would probably be the only savior for us... if it's in terms of championship contender!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I think starting Darko will give the Celtics a lineup very similar to the one the team had at the start of last season when Jermaine O'Neal was still starting.

The team played much better when they played smaller and got more quickness on the court with Brandon Bass. And then better again when Avery Bradley checked in for Ray Allen.
I think continuing with the quickness instead of size is Boston's best bet.

Agree with this unless Darko proves he is in good enough shape to run the floor. I think Darko will bang inside or at least try as well as any big we have. The problem is whether he can show the quickness we need from our first unit.

If Darko is limited in his time on the court by matchups because he cant run and jump (read athleticism) with starting caliber NBA bigs, then his value to us is limited to playing against other bigs who are also not running the floor.

Darko is not Shaq and therefore not a candidate to start unless he proves he can run a little bit. I would love to see him play a few minutes per game but we have to recognize his limitations.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 09:58:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If it forces Doc to bring Bass off the bench, I'm all for it. I still think that the wisest move would be to start Wilcox (unless Darko does indeed prove to be the better option).

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 10:03:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Oh hell no!!!

Darko is barely a rotation worthy talent, much less starting material.

Darko is injury insurance, rookie not developing fast enough insurance and a situational sub. And that's how he will be used.

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 10:07:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I am starting to get really nervous about Darko. Because, I'm starting to believe its different for him now.

I still think him starting next to KG isis unlikely, but I'm starting to really believe that he will at least be able to give 20 good reserve minutes at the 5, which would spell KG nicely.

My initial opinion after the Darko signing is still what I hope we see:

PF: Bass(25) Sully(15) Green (7)
C: KG (28) Darko/Wilcox mop up the rest

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 10:17:45 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I am starting to get really nervous about Darko. Because, I'm starting to believe its different for him now.

I still think him starting next to KG isis unlikely, but I'm starting to really believe that he will at least be able to give 20 good reserve minutes at the 5, which would spell KG nicely.

My initial opinion after the Darko signing is still what I hope we see:

PF: Bass(25) Sully(15) Green (7)
C: KG (28) Darko/Wilcox mop up the rest
Agreed and I would add that if Wilcox doesnt get healthy and get back in the rotation soon? Darko and Sullinger may both end up with more minutes than expected in the long run.

C: Garnett 25 mpg Darko 15 mpg Melo/Collins/Sullinger 8 mpg

PF: Bass 30 mpg Sullinger 12 mpg Green 6 mpg
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku