Author Topic: Is Milicic part of 8 man rotation ???  (Read 12417 times)

Is Milicic part of 8 man rotation ???
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:27:58 AM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/doc-finally-allows-celtics-run-wild

While Pierce and his teammates were running up and down the court, their head coach, Doc Rivers, was taking a laissez faire approach on the sideline. He stood back, watched, and enjoyed the sight of the green team, made up of the top eight players, and the white team, made up of the rest of the roster, competing at a high level.

Later in the article

Garnett, who is as competitive as they come, had to love what he saw. His teammates, which were the regular starters plus Jeff Green, Jason Terry and Darko Milicic, played well. Likewise, the third unit, performed at a high level and was able to win half of the games in the series.

Re: Is Milicic part of 8 man rotation ???
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Too early to say.  I am sure he is going to be given every opportunity though.  At least at the start of the season, I think he is most likely the 3rd or 4th big man (not counting when they go small), in a battle with Wilcox.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:53:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
He shouldn't be ... 4th string center behind Garnett, one of the PFs and Jason Collins.

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 11:53:38 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
No, as of right now we will have a 9 man rotation with Wilcox.  Darko might get similar minutes depending on how he plays due to the fact that he's better suited to play alongside Bass (probably why they teamed up that way in scrimmage).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 11:54:37 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If Doc goes with an 8 man rotation, either during the regular season or the playoffs, he's a fool.

When Avery comes back, that gives Boston a 4 man guard rotation.  Hopefully Doc will take advantage of that and we'll see plenty of full court pressure.

That leaves Pierce, KG and Bass in the front court and Wilcox, Green, Darko, Collins and Sully ready to come off the bench.  Now, a 12 man rotation is probably too much but given the need to rest KG and Pierce and the need for both offense and rebounding, Green and the best two out of Wilcox, Darko and Sully should definitely see plenty of time, with Collins the emergency option at center in case of injuries.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 11:59:58 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He shouldn't be ... 4th string center behind Garnett, one of the PFs and Jason Collins.

It remains to be seen how he fits in the system in the preseason, but his skillset is much more suited to being in the rotation than Collins.  Collins is a valuable guy against certain matchups, but when they are not facing Philly, LA, or Indy, he is a huge liability.  Darko has the skillset to be a useful rotation player.

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 12:01:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Well, Bradley isn't playing, so he'd be part of a 9-man rotation once AB comes back.  And Doc's not going to start the pre-season off with Sullinger in the top group, even if he ends up there.  Furthermore, Wilcox is probably more of a 4 than a 5, so in this 8-on-8 drill, Green will back up the 3 and 4 for the starters/key reserves lineup, meaning you just want a true center to back up KG.  So that means it's between Darko and Collins for that spot, and it doesn't seem like crazy talk to me that Darko could be ahead of Collins.  But once AB is back and Sully has earned some PT, it would seem to me that Darko will be #10 or #10a with Wilcox in a 10-man rotation, depending on matchups.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I think Doc might be trying him out in the Stiemsma role - doesn't want KG to be the only defensive option in the big man rotation.

It'll be interesting to see if Doc can get Stiemsma or JO level production out of Darko.  If so, I think he'll stay in the rotation. If not, I think he'll relent and go all offense with Sully/Wilcox.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 12:53:51 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

While Pierce and his teammates were running up and down the court, their head coach, Doc Rivers, was taking a laissez faire approach on the sideline. He stood back, watched, and enjoyed the sight of the green team, made up of the top eight players, and the white team, made up of the rest of the roster, competing at a high level.

Later in the article

Garnett, who is as competitive as they come, had to love what he saw. His teammates, which were the regular starters plus Jeff Green, Jason Terry and Darko Milicic, played well. Likewise, the third unit, performed at a high level and was able to win half of the games in the series.

I think that the herald or the globe said that Wilcox missed practice with a stiff back.

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 01:02:57 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Later in the article

I think that the herald or the globe said that Wilcox missed practice with a stiff back.

And this isnt strange at all. I have cero faith in Wilcox health, hope I am the only one wrong here
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 01:22:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Do you really think Collins is better than Darko?  Not just situationally but across the board? 

I don't know Darko well so I'm not disagreeing, but why do you think so?

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 01:34:19 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I don't see any team that can come close to a second unit of JET/Lee/Green/Wilcox/Darko.

And our starters aren't too shabby themselves.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 01:37:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't see any team that can come close to a second unit of JET/Lee/Green/Wilcox/Darko.

I would rather Sullinger be in that lineup than Wilcox.

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 01:43:52 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.

I would rather Sullinger be in that lineup than Wilcox.

He's a rook, so he'll have to beat someone out for the spot. And our big man rotation will be situational (WHICH I ABSOLUTELY LOVE AND CAN TOTALLY GET USED TO).

But imagine Sullinger's good enough, where he does beat one of them out, or better yet, beats out Bass for the starting gig?! That'd be sensational in my eyes, and the pastures could not be greener!! Bass off the bench, and having Darko/Wilcox be our 5th big off the bench... just wow, man. That depth, man... That depth

And don't even get me started on Fab Melo!!! hahaha

I'm getting way too hyped, I need a bubble bath or something.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 01:44:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Do you really think Collins is better than Darko?  Not just situationally but across the board? 

I don't know Darko well so I'm not disagreeing, but why do you think so?

(1) I think Doc should stay small with his backup big men because neither Darko Milicic or Jason Collins are good enough to be rotation players. So my primary backup center would be one of the PFs.

(2) So either player should only play in certain situations when matchups require a bigger body / interior defender. In that specific (minor) role, I think Jason Collins is the superior option. So Collins = third string and Darko = fourth string.

(3) I think Darko's best playing weight is around 240-245lbs and he is currently up around 275lbs or something like that. So he is around 30lbs overweight. At this weight, Darko is (a) unable to finish as well around the basket and is a large liability offensively (2) is slower and less active as a team defender and has reduced defensive value (3) is stuck to the ground on rebounds and is a liability on the boards. A much worse player in each phase of the game (offense, defense, rebounding).

Until Darko gets himself into basketball shape, I do not consider him a rotation caliber player. Like Jason Collins, he is a below average but just about serviceable backup center (more in the 5-10mpg fourth string big role than the 15-18mpg Boston needs from it's primary backup center behind Garnett) to high level third stringer.

If Darko gets himself into basketball shape, he is a below average but decent starter to high level primary backup center. A very useful asset. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear like it is going to happen. So my expectations for Darko this season are very low.