Author Topic: I can't believe Celtics basketball is almost back  (Read 21348 times)

Re: I can't believe Celtics basketball is almost back
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2012, 09:05:42 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Just got back from Celtics Media Day in Waltham, here are a few quick thoughts/observations/stories I had being there in person.

-Darko didn't look pudgy or overweight to me.  He actually looked really strong.  He's arms were really toned like he's been pumping iron hard recently or something.  He's got great size and strength I think.  One thing I did notice, he didn't smile even once the entire day.  I'm not saying he wasn't happy, maybe that's just who he is, but he certainly didn't seem to be enjoying himself the way many of his teammates were.

-Jared Sullinger is really cool.  He was funny, friendly, confident, and full of swagger.  We were recording some radio spots and he was having so much fun with it, changing lines and putting his own spin on it.  He was the only one to do that of all the Celtics players who read the spots.  He seemed to be having the best time out of anyone at media day (although KG had a smile from ear to ear for much of the time.)  I think Sully's boisterous  make-up will help him do well in the league and fans will be quick to support him.  Really cool dude.

-I asked Jamar Smith how he felt about his chances at one of the last two roster spots and he assured me that he would be filling one of them.  I also asked him what the process was like both being in competition with two other people for a job but also trying to find the right fit as a teammate.  He told me it was tough because when you're on the court it's no mercy, but the moment the competition is over he has so much respect for all his teammates because they all took a similar path to get there.

-As I adjusted the microphone for Fab Melo to do his radio spots I joked with him about how I was going to need a bigger mic stand to accommodate him because he's so tall.  Without missing a beat he turned to me with a smile and said, "am I too tall, or are all of you too short?"

-Jason Collins, Fab Melo, and Darko are all enormous.  I mean I knew the team had size this year, but add KG to the mix and the C's must be one of the biggest teams in the east.

-the Jet was really cool too.  His confidence exudes out of him.  He genuinely loves being here and I think he's gonna make a big difference this year.

-Rondo was quiet, stoic, and confident (what else is new I guess.)  But something about him seemed different this year.  He seemed to be giving off an aura of "I'm the leader of this team now" with everything he said and did.

-Chris Wilcox and Jeff Green both looked really good.  Avery did as well and seemed to be pretty comfortable moving his shoulder around.  He didn't have a brace on and mentioned that the biggest pain was trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in.

-Best story of the day, right before he's going on the air with the Big Show Paul Pierce starts telling me about what he did this summer.  Apparently he decided to do a cross country road trip this summer with his wife.  They hopped in a winnebago and drove from Boston to LA in five days.  Apparently he's got a little bit of a phobia of tunnels and he said he almost didn't make it through a tunnel under a mountain in Pennsylvania.  He was convinced it would collapse and that would be it for him.  He also never stayed in a hotel during his drive across the country, instead opting to sleep in the car each night in various hotel parking lots.  I started trying to picture walking past a car parked in a hotel parking lot and seeing Paul Pierce sound asleep inside, how weird that would be.

That's all I've got for now, perhaps more to come later.

Good notes, thank you.

Darko smiled/laughed when he was making the jokes about how he got to Boston (he's hard to understand at times, not really b/c of the accent but b/c he kept whispering and turning from the mic).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2012, 01:17:35 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Prof,

TP for the breakdown and sharing your stories
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2012, 01:20:18 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Also guess what guys were having our first practice of the year going on RIGHT NOW can't wait for hits and sound bytes from that  ;D

Terry said that both he & Lucky had goosebumps waiting for the first official practice of the season, which is going on now here in Waltham.
https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/statuses/252091481505034240
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2012, 07:49:28 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rn6N1kuZ_o

In the words of the great donkey, lol...

« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2012, 10:17:12 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I will have no choice but to start believing that Celtics basketball is back in less than 4 hours.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:23:46 AM by Prof. Clutch »

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
to early for old english
but ill sip on some carlos rossi

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2012, 10:22:53 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I will have no choice but to officially start believing Celtics basketball is back in less than 4 hours.

You know, the offseason kind of flew by. But having just woke up an hour ago on my off day and it already feels like its been a week. I guess I'm desperate to watch my team again.

« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2012, 10:29:43 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games
I will have no choice but to officially start believing Celtics basketball is back in less than 4 hours.

You know, the offseason kind of flew by. But having just woke up an hour ago on my off day and it already feels like its been a week. I guess I'm desperate to watch my team again.

Yup, I'm skipping out of work early to go home and watch them play today.  Who needs responsibility when you've got the Celtics?

« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2012, 01:45:09 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
We're back. lets get it.

« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2012, 02:05:02 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Preseason right now.  Go Celtics!

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2012, 02:12:31 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games
Officially time to believe.  :)

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2012, 02:18:19 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
Courtney Lee playing some good D. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my

« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
These FBU guys are good and they're showing up.  C'mon Celtics.  Wake up