Author Topic: 2012 Presidential Debates  (Read 50520 times)

Re: 2012 Presidential Debates
« Reply #975 on: November 03, 2012, 11:18:29 AM »

Online Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 559
  • Historical Draft Best Overall/Best Defensive team
Little by little Obama seems to be widening the gap in Ohio, while Romney's lead in Florida seems to be shrinking...

Yet, they're both hitting Ohio hard. From Obama's standpoint, it makes sense since a Ohio win practically guarantees he wins the election. But is he missing an opportunity in Florida, a state with more electoral votes? Same goes for Romney, maybe he figures that if he loses Ohio, his path to victory will be very hard, yet I can't help but imagine if he should be focusing more efforts in Florida to make sure that state remains his.

Not sure of what's the correct way to go, if I were Obama I'd jump on Florida this weekend.

From today:

Florida continues to look good for Mitt Romney. The Republican holds a 6-point lead in the state essential to his hopes of defeating President Barack Obama, according to a new Tampa Bay Times/Bay News 9/Miami Herald poll.

It definitely seems that Florida is becoming competitive for Obama again: the TBT poll previously gave Romney a +7 advantage, and all the other polls this past week (NBC/WSJ, Ipsos/Reuters, Gravis) show either Obama or Romney ahead, but within the margin of error for both.

However, I think Obama would be wise to keep focusing on Ohio, and if he considers shifting resources, it should be to VA rather than FL.

I think Obama needs to shift some resources to PA as that is also becoming very competitive again.  The GOP has killed it there in the early voting
Indiana CB Draft, Kevin Durant, Deron Williams, Luis Scola, Robin Lopez, Ray Allen, Elton Brand, Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, Jeff Taylor, Andrew Nicholson, Shaun Livingston, Markieff Morris, Michael Beasley

« Reply #976 on: November 03, 2012, 11:47:14 AM »

Offline JSD

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 361
  • Anything is possible
Wouldn't it be more in line with libertarian philosophies to just let everyone vote? To let the market, as it were, decide? Shouldn't it be our right as a nation to let the chips fall where they may, with the implication being that if the stakes reallly were that high, we'd recognize this fact and vote with our feet?

People are uninformed, but you correct that through education, not through prohibiting their right to vote.

It’s all about context. Classical liberals believe in the voting process as it is now but with the checks and balances designed by our republic in the constitution. Unfortunately those protective measures are missing. Presidents can now wage or commit acts of war without the consent of congress, to name one exmaple.

« Reply #977 on: November 03, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »

Offline Cman

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 229
Little by little Obama seems to be widening the gap in Ohio, while Romney's lead in Florida seems to be shrinking...

Yet, they're both hitting Ohio hard. From Obama's standpoint, it makes sense since a Ohio win practically guarantees he wins the election. But is he missing an opportunity in Florida, a state with more electoral votes? Same goes for Romney, maybe he figures that if he loses Ohio, his path to victory will be very hard, yet I can't help but imagine if he should be focusing more efforts in Florida to make sure that state remains his.

Not sure of what's the correct way to go, if I were Obama I'd jump on Florida this weekend.

From today:

Florida continues to look good for Mitt Romney. The Republican holds a 6-point lead in the state essential to his hopes of defeating President Barack Obama, according to a new Tampa Bay Times/Bay News 9/Miami Herald poll.

It definitely seems that Florida is becoming competitive for Obama again: the TBT poll previously gave Romney a +7 advantage, and all the other polls this past week (NBC/WSJ, Ipsos/Reuters, Gravis) show either Obama or Romney ahead, but within the margin of error for both.

However, I think Obama would be wise to keep focusing on Ohio, and if he considers shifting resources, it should be to VA rather than FL.

I think Obama needs to shift some resources to PA as that is also becoming very competitive again.  The GOP has killed it there in the early voting

I think Obama has already spent a little bit of money there to couteract some of the ads put out by Romney there a few weeks ago, but I don't expect Obama to try to match Romney's recent foray into PA. I think its a big gamble on Romney's part, and more about trying to pursuade people he hasn't lost momentum.

Plust, I didn't think PA had early voting. Am I wrong?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #978 on: November 03, 2012, 12:04:13 PM »

Online Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 559
  • Historical Draft Best Overall/Best Defensive team

From today:

I think Obama has already spent a little bit of money there to couteract some of the ads put out by Romney there a few weeks ago, but I don't expect Obama to try to match Romney's recent foray into PA. I think its a big gamble on Romney's part, and more about trying to pursuade people he hasn't lost momentum.

Sorry it was the absentee voting counts that had Romney up 19 points in PA, not early voting.   For comparison McCain was up 1.9 percent in absentee ballots in 2008 in PA
Indiana CB Draft, Kevin Durant, Deron Williams, Luis Scola, Robin Lopez, Ray Allen, Elton Brand, Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, Jeff Taylor, Andrew Nicholson, Shaun Livingston, Markieff Morris, Michael Beasley

« Reply #979 on: November 03, 2012, 12:16:09 PM »

Offline Cman

• Danny Ainge

From today:

Sorry it was the absentee voting counts that had Romney up 19 points in PA, not early voting.   For comparison McCain was up 1.9 percent in absentee ballots in 2008 in PA

Got it. In any case, I don't think Obama should be too worried about PA. He's been ahead in every poll conducted since February, and most of the time ahead enough that it's not within the MOE.

If he's thinking of diverting resources from OH, then there are other states that make more sense to spend $$ on rather than PA.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #980 on: November 03, 2012, 01:09:50 PM »

Offline foulweatherfan

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1441

From today:

Here's the swing state poll summary for yesterday:

Looking too close to call  ;)

« Reply #981 on: November 04, 2012, 06:44:27 AM »

Offline Cman

• Danny Ainge

From today:

Here's the swing state poll summary for yesterday:

Looking too close to call  ;)

Well, it is certainly too early to call, but it is pretty clear Obama has more momentum at this point, for what it's worth.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #982 on: November 04, 2012, 07:38:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I think it comes down to this one side's pollsters are lying trying to discourage the other side from getting out.  Polls are not nuetral enymore.  The election night is the only poll that matters.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog