Author Topic: Royce White MIA to Rockets Camp?  (Read 16656 times)

Re: Royce White MIA to Rockets Camp?
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
I feel bad for the dude. If something as simple as going on a plane affects him that much, so much where it can ruin a career at something he's amazing at, and p--- off his employers, and make them probably regret drafting him, then I wouldn't want to be that dude.

He's probably trying his best. He's not a joke, and he's not a **** or anything like that. He has a real disorder, and at this point, it's possibly ruining his life.

The scrutiny and speculation, and how it seems so much is on his shoulders cannot help his anxiety...

The part that I find a joke is that he thinks the entire organization should bend over backward for him, while he can't even be bothered to attend camp.

If he can't make professional commitments, he shouldn't be a professional.  I'm sympathetic to his mental condition.  I'm also sympathetic to people who have a fear of heights.  That doesn't mean I'd support those people being a steel worker on a skyscraper construction job.

If the kid had gone into the situation with the Rockets trying his best, while asking for some accommodations, I'd feel better about him.  To avoid camp, and to start making demands while using language drawn up by his agent / lawyer tells me that the kid isn't ready for the NBA.

Yeah, I agree. The guy (kid) just doesn't know how to conduct himself, being 21 and jumping into a world like the NBA. I'm routing for him to get his act together, along with his anxiety.

He does need help, and you're right. He's clearly going about this the wrong way. but his perception is his own, and nobody else probably understands it, which is why I feel for him.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 01:32:30 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
White should have had his demands in writing at the predraft interviews.  While I sympathize with his condition, its a horrible time to drop this bomb on the team that drafted him.  The team made a huge investment in White, and it almost now seems like White tricked them into drafting him.

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 01:36:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
whenever I see the title for this forum topic I only see the "MIA" and I feel my blood pressure rise...

To the topic itself, I feel bad for the guy, and hope he gets things turned around.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 01:40:15 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
With all due respect for Royce White's anxiety disorder...

The irony of someone with a severe fear of flying getting drafted by a team called the "Rockets" is ridiculous!

Not trying to make light of it. Just had to share that observation.
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 01:40:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
But Royce White's talent and ceiling are far, far above anyone taken after him, excepting maybe PJ3, but even then, PJ3's injury concerns are pretty significant.

My problem, and the reason I never liked the pick to begin with is that I really don't agree with this.  I think, even if he had no red flags, he was a mid first round talent anyways.  He does a lot of things, but doesn't do anything great, and he is a tweener. 

I think people talked themselves into his talent, based on a couple games in the tournament (or was it just one game?), and the fact that he has flown under the radar because of his illness, and everyone loves a story of a sleeper pick.

Particularly in a draft as deep as this one, I think it was a HUGE reach to take him where they took him, and guarantee him that kind of money.

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 01:43:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
White should have had his demands in writing at the predraft interviews.  While I sympathize with his condition, its a horrible time to drop this bomb on the team that drafted him.  The team made a huge investment in White, and it almost now seems like White tricked them into drafting him.

No he shouldn't have.  The way the laws are written in this country, it's near impossible to get the ADA enforced if you aren't hired first.  If the laws were different, maybe, or if society had a different view of anxiety disorders, maybe.  But the way he handled it was the most appropriate thing to do for his well-being given the way the system is set up, and I see no reason why he shouldn't have been looking out for himself first.  The Rockets knew full well that he had a problem, and if their doctors told them they could fix it and were wrong, that's on them.  And if their lawyers told them that reasonable accommodations don't apply, and they do, that's on them also.

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 01:45:37 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I feel bad for the dude. If something as simple as going on a plane affects him that much, so much where it can ruin a career at something he's amazing at, and p--- off his employers, and make them probably regret drafting him, then I wouldn't want to be that dude.

He's probably trying his best. He's not a joke, and he's not a **** or anything like that. He has a real disorder, and at this point, it's possibly ruining his life.

The scrutiny and speculation, and how it seems so much is on his shoulders cannot help his anxiety...

The part that I find a joke is that he thinks the entire organization should bend over backward for him, while he can't even be bothered to attend camp.

If he can't make professional commitments, he shouldn't be a professional.  I'm sympathetic to his mental condition.  I'm also sympathetic to people who have a fear of heights.  That doesn't mean I'd support those people being a steel worker on a skyscraper construction job.

If the kid had gone into the situation with the Rockets trying his best, while asking for some accommodations, I'd feel better about him.  To avoid camp, and to start making demands while using language drawn up by his agent / lawyer tells me that the kid isn't ready for the NBA.

Roy, you of all people should know this is a lawyer talking.  The kid has a real issue, and he has always had this issue, and all he (and his agent/lawyer) are doing is trying to maximize his chances of actually getting paid, by laying down their case early.

Honestly, I bet White had very little to do with it, my guess is he is basically under orders from his agent and lawyer that he should not report until they agree to make the accomodations they are required to make for him. 

If he actually waited until an issue occured before doing this, he would be in a more difficult position, because it is his burden to tell Houston that they need to make the accomodations, and if he doesn't request it, then he could be fined if say, he missed a team flight because of his anxiety disorder.

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2012, 01:49:21 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
White's fear of flying, he said, magnifies his anxiety disorder. So he's asked the Rockets to let him use a bus for some of the team's extensive road trips. White said he's willing to purchase the bus and assume liability.

Seems people have glossed over this part.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 01:53:39 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
White's fear of flying, he said, magnifies his anxiety disorder. So he's asked the Rockets to let him use a bus for some of the team's extensive road trips. White said he's willing to purchase the bus and assume liability.

****. Yeah I'm pretty sure that's unheard of, and mildly funny in a very dark way. No way it's happening, but in his eyes, it's worth a shot, eh?
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 01:59:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Roy, you of all people should know this is a lawyer talking.  The kid has a real issue, and he has always had this issue, and all he (and his agent/lawyer) are doing is trying to maximize his chances of actually getting paid, by laying down their case early.

Honestly, I bet White had very little to do with it, my guess is he is basically under orders from his agent and lawyer that he should not report until they agree to make the accomodations they are required to make for him. 

If he actually waited until an issue occured before doing this, he would be in a more difficult position, because it is his burden to tell Houston that they need to make the accomodations, and if he doesn't request it, then he could be fined if say, he missed a team flight because of his anxiety disorder.
Address it early the day after camp starts?

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 02:00:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Let's see if it happens.  To me, that is the type of thing he would offer, that his lawyer would never actually allow him to do...nor would the team, who really are legally obliged to provide the bus I believe. 

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 02:00:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Address it early the day after camp starts?

It sounds like it is something that they have been discussing.  It just became public the day after camp started.  It became public now, because White needed to explain his absence.

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2012, 02:01:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The problem is that there are only like 6 games on Houston's road schedule that are really within "driving distance". 

If he wants to travel on his own, and won't miss practices, games, or shootarounds, then I don't see a problem with it.  However, that still leaves 35 or so games to deal with.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2012, 02:02:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I wonder if the rumored "promise" to Royce White was just a Danny Ainge smoke screen. Maybe he was hoping to get someone else to take a flyer on him before we picked. Because Boston was the team leading up to the draft with arguably the most interest in him. If so, another great move by Ainge.

I certainly was fooled. I didn't see White missing any of training camp. I thought this was all a none issue and greatly exagerated by the media for a good story. Guess i was pretty wrong there.

I am still convinced there was no promise, and it was a tactic by the agent.  And a genius one. 

What I think happened is White's anxiety was acting up from traveling to all the workouts...so, he shut it down, and the agent leaked that he had a promise, so teams would both think they need to pick him higher, and not worry so much that it was his anxiety.  He could have even taken it far enough to get someone like Danny in on it as a favor, to help teams think that it was the C's.

Sounds plausable to me Chris. I was on the rockets site.. Definatley a mix of emotions over there about it. I feel for the kid and the fans, but to me it looks like Morey took a huge swing and missed.

If they could close the book now and that'd be the end of it, yeah. But I think that writing off White now..its just such a terrible awful idea.

Change aggravates any psychological condition. When he went to Minnesota, do you think he was less affected? Someone (Iowa) finally took the right approach with him, and look how it paid off. It is a journey by steps with him, the Rockets need to pretty much hold his hand, and treat him with kid gloves, get him in a routine, feeling safe, feeling secure. He's gonna have setbacks, Houston needs to ensure that he can get through them.

But Royce White's talent and ceiling are far, far above anyone taken after him, excepting maybe PJ3, but even then, PJ3's injury concerns are pretty significant.

I agree.  His talent and ceiling are above a few of the players taken before him as well.

A lot of people on this board are glad that the Celtics didn't get him.  For the most part I share that sentiment, because I am very high on Sullinger, and think that Fab Melo was worth the risk given positional need. 

But let's compare Sullinger and White: Sullinger has the potential to be a solid, if not spectacular, PF/C.  Royce White has the potential to be a game-changing 3/4.  Sullinger has a chronic injury issue, that you hope with treatment you can limit such that he doesn't miss much time.  However, if/when his injury issue flares up, you will have little advance warning.  White has a chronic mental illness that you hope you can limit with treatment.  Howeever, if/when his illness flares up, you will be somewhat prepared, because it will occur on road games.  White could reasonably be expected to be available for home games, as well as games at NY, Brooklyn, Philly, and perhaps Washington.  If the schedule gods are nice, maybe there are a few games in a row at Cleveland/Detroit/Indy/Chicago/Milwaukee that he can get to.  You can hope that you find the right treatment, and that he can travel with the team a few times.  If you hit the jackpot, you find a treatment that allows him to make most or all of the trips.  With Sullinger, you similarly hope you can find the right treatment such that he doesn't miss any extended time, and if you're successful, you've again hit the jackpot.  Now maybe you feel more comfortable with your ability to manage a back issue than an anxiety issue, and I would find that reasonable, if not debatable.  But I think this "I'm glad the Celtics didn't get him" might be misplaced.  I'd rather have a game-changer for half the year than a guy who can't crack the rotation for all of the year.  (Note: I already said I prefer Sully/Melo to White.  But if White were available and one of those two were off the board, I don't think the C's would have been crazy to take White.)
But you don't see Sully saying since his long term health is most important he needs a bus to drive him to all games so he can sit in a hot tub and ice tub the whole way cause that's what's best for his long term health

Plus White is still subject to all the physical injuries that are out there too.

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I assumed that meant if his bus drove over someone and killed them or he himself was hurt he gets sued instead of the Rockets and he can't sue them for money saying he was hurt on the job