Author Topic: Royce White MIA to Rockets Camp?  (Read 16751 times)

Royce White MIA to Rockets Camp?
« on: October 03, 2012, 08:19:09 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/223795/Royce_White_Remains_Absent_From_Rockets_Camp

Anyone else glad we didn't draft this kid, right about now? I know i am, and i was one of the ones clamoring for Danny to take the risk. I feel bad for the kid. And the Rockets too. But i can't help but feel like we might have dodged a bullet.

Re: Royce White MIA to Rockets Camp?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 08:24:24 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
yeah, im also glad we didnt pick him. But hopefully this kid can turn his life around and have a long future in the NBA
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:35:27 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
CH3 - I'm sure you didn't intentionally do it and was unaware of it, but that link of yours has a virus attached to it.

My Anti-Virus software blocked it.

I googled the article and found another link -

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20435610/royce-white-out-of-training-camp-because-of-anxiety-issues

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 08:39:24 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Thats pretty rough but it makes sense about having a strategy.  I also suffer from anxiety and one of the worst parts is the anticpatory anxiety that I get.  The worry about a particulart situation is often much worse than the situation itself.  A big part of my dealing with it involves planning and preperation for the situation in an attempt to put my mind at ease and curb the issue.

Luckily royce probably has some of the best people helping him with this, so  I hope he can get better.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 08:47:52 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
CH3 - I'm sure you didn't intentionally do it and was unaware of it, but that link of yours has a virus attached to it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20435610/royce-white-out-of-training-camp-because-of-anxiety-issues

Sorry GreenFaith. I just got the article off the regular RealGM site. I had no idea. Thanks for the other link though. No idea why that happened. I usually never have any problems with RealGM.

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 08:51:07 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Sorry GreenFaith. I just got the article off the regular RealGM site. I had no idea. Thanks for the other link though. No idea why that happened. I usually never have any problems with RealGM.

No problem, I'm sure it's not your fault.

I would've had no idea of what it was unless I had actually read about it at my school.

No worries.

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 09:20:46 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
even if he would have gotten to boston...no way the Cs would have picked him...

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 09:42:25 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm sure this will be no big deal in a couple weeks.  But still just another reason why it is never good to talk yourself into a player like White.  Major red flags, and less than spectacular NBA skills is not a combination to make a quality NBA player. 

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 10:34:31 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'm sure this will be no big deal in a couple weeks.  But still just another reason why it is never good to talk yourself into a player like White.  Major red flags, and less than spectacular NBA skills is not a combination to make a quality NBA player.
He may turn into a prime years Boris Diaw on steroids.  Thats approaching spectacular.

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 08:42:21 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
If Sully were gone and White was available Danny would have taken him.  I hope things go well for this kid.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 08:46:45 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He may turn into a prime years Boris Diaw on steroids.  Thats approaching spectacular.

I think Diaw was longer, a better athlete, and a better shooter. 

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 08:59:08 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't get this at all. How did he get to games in the Big 12? When he needed to get from Iowa to Texas and back how did he do it?
Plus I'm assuming at some point the Rockets asked him straight out if this would be a problem so either he lied, changed his mind and decided to back out of whatever he told them, or they knew this and this should be a non-issue.

If I'm the Rockets I'm probably pretty mad right now. I'm not sure it's wise for them to treat him any differently. I mean when the game is down the street fine, but from what I'm hearing I bet his idea of driveable is pretty different than theirs. 

And the sad thing is he isn't any safer in a bus at all, and may be much less safe. If that were the case and I were the Rockets I'd flat out refuse. I'd say "We need you actually safe, not to feel safe while actually being less safe. We also need you somewhat rested and ready to go, not driving all day"

They have a million rookies. They can't be baby sitting one of them or wondering where he is.  It's like "No. You gotta be here. You can't skype to team meetings from a bus or hotel". 

I'd want to hear what he considers driveable and a coherent plan both logistically and financially. And he better not be picking up hitchikers and the other members of the team can't go with him.

If it's so driveable and simple then maybe they should all take the bus.

But even some of the closest NBA cities. Take Boston to NYC. No way. That's a 6 hour drive. No way. Gotta fly.

It will be very interesting to see how this turns out.

If this were a different situation it wouldn't work. Oh yeah I want to do business in China on a regular basis but I can't fly. Well then you can't do it. The entire modern sports world is based on flight. What happens when Stern gets his team in London?

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 09:04:55 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I don't get this at all. How did he get to games in the Big 12? When he needed to get from Iowa to Texas and back how did he do it?
Plus I'm assuming at some point the Rockets asked him straight out if this would be a problem so either he lied, changed his mind and decided to back out of whatever he told them, or they knew this and this should be a non-issue.

If I'm the Rockets I'm probably pretty mad right now. I'm not sure it's wise for them to treat him any differently. I mean when the game is down the street fine, but from what I'm hearing I bet his idea of driveable is pretty different than theirs. 

And the sad thing is he isn't any safer in a bus at all, and may be much less safe. If that were the case and I were the Rockets I'd flat out refuse. I'd say "We need you actually safe, not to feel safe while actually being less safe. We also need you somewhat rested and ready to go, not driving all day"

They have a million rookies. They can't be baby sitting one of them or wondering where he is.  It's like "No. You gotta be here. You can't skype to team meetings from a bus or hotel". 

I'd want to hear what he considers driveable and a coherent plan both logistically and financially. And he better not be picking up hitchikers and the other members of the team can't go with him.

But even some of the closest NBA cities. Take Boston to NYC. No way. That's a 6 hour drive. No way. Gotta fly.

If this were a different situation it wouldn't work. Oh yeah I want to do business in China on a regular basis but I can't fly. Well then you can't do it. The entire modern sports world is based on flight. What happens when Stern gets his team in London?

Just for the record, having anxiety about flying isnt necessarily about fear of crashing.  lots of other things go into it. And most people with Anxiety know that their fears are not rational  but they can't get their body to calm down no matter what their mind tells them is safe.  So the rockets taking that course of action is likely to frustrate him beyond belief. 

The Rockets probably knew what they were getting into when they drafted him.  When they drafted them they had to know they were getting a guy that may have to be treated differently.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Just for the record, having anxiety about flying isnt necessarily about fear of crashing.  lots of other things go into it. And most people with Anxiety know that their fears are not rational  but they can't get their body to calm down no matter what their mind tells them is safe.  So the rockets taking that course of action is likely to frustrate him beyond belief. 

The Rockets probably knew what they were getting into when they drafted him.  When they drafted them they had to know they were getting a guy that may have to be treated differently.
You think the Rockets knew he wasn't going to show up to training camp? I think that maybe both Royce and the Rockets aren't being entirely truthful here.

On Royce's part he says he wants to be able to drive to games. But he had all summer to drive to training camp. He could be with the team right now. He could have brought these issues up over the summer.  The way this has suddenly popped up now makes me think he either isn't getting treatment or the treatment isn't very effective or something. He wants us to think he can't show up on time for training camp, but can show up for games. I don't buy that. I want to know how.

On the Rockets part both Morey and McHale say they have no idea when he'll be there. Obviously they have a better idea than we do. They must have known something about this and for their part they also could have worked with him this summer. But they didn't.

I am thinking in terms of his career at Iowa State as his baseline.  As far as I can tell he didn't miss a lot of games in college.  This year's schedule the Cyclones have several times where they have to get to Texas, then back to Iowa, then back to Texas in a week. How did he used to do that?

Now take his new NBA schedule.  Take a look at Jan 8 to Jan 21

Tue, Jan 8   
vs
Los Angeles

Wed, Jan 9   
@ New Orleans

Fri, Jan 11   
@ Boston

Sat, Jan 12   
@ Philadelphia

Tue, Jan 15   
vs
Los Angeles

Wed, Jan 16   
@ Dallas

Fri, Jan 18   
@ Indiana

Sat, Jan 19   
@ Minnesota

Mon, Jan 21   
@ Charlotte

What is he going to do? Miss games?

Flying is a requirement of being an NBA basketball player. Realistically if he can't fly it's like he's injured or in jail.  Nobody will want a player like that. I think Royce has to make some decisions right now. Either he says "My head is sick. One of the most important parts of my body is sick just like a knee and it will often prevent me from being with the team" or he says "I can be with the team". 

I know anxiety isn't switch you can turn on and off and that's what worries me about this for him. I was under the impression this was not a huge issue and was put out there by other agents, but apparently he can't even make it to the first day of work when he has all summer to get there. It sounds pretty severe to me, which is what is so puzzling, because how did he do this at ISU?

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 10:08:39 AM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
the constant media scrutiny of his mental health is going to compound his problems greatly.