Author Topic: Rondo: "I知 not the team leader"  (Read 11006 times)

Rondo: "I知 not the team leader"
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:12:53 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4697645/follow-the-leaders

"I知 not the team leader," Rondo said Monday before the team departed for Turkey. "Everybody keeps saying that, [Celtics president of basketball operations] Danny [Ainge] put that pressure on me [by calling Rondo the team's best player]. There痴 15 guys on this team. Paul [Pierce has] been here for 15 years and I知 still following in his footsteps. I might be a leader as far as point guard wise, and I値l accept that role. But three or four guys are the leaders -- Kevin, Paul, and even [Jason Terry]. They are the veterans. I知 going to lead the young guys, and try to lead the older guys as well. But I知 still following."

The article also has Doc and Pierce throning him the new leader.

Still wondering if Rondo or KG is the more important player? Or if Rondo can "take over" the team and pump up his stats to become the MVP next season? I think they probably don't care. They just want 18.

Re: Rondo: "I知 not the team leader"
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:25:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4697645/follow-the-leaders

"I知 not the team leader," Rondo said Monday before the team departed for Turkey. "Everybody keeps saying that, [Celtics president of basketball operations] Danny [Ainge] put that pressure on me [by calling Rondo the team's best player]. There痴 15 guys on this team. Paul [Pierce has] been here for 15 years and I知 still following in his footsteps. I might be a leader as far as point guard wise, and I値l accept that role. But three or four guys are the leaders -- Kevin, Paul, and even [Jason Terry]. They are the veterans. I知 going to lead the young guys, and try to lead the older guys as well. But I知 still following."

The article also has Doc and Pierce throning him the new leader.

Still wondering if Rondo or KG is the more important player? Or if Rondo can "take over" the team and pump up his stats to become the MVP next season? I think they probably don't care. They just want 18.
Everyone knows as Rondo goes so goes the Celtics. Even Rondo. But Rondo has sooooooo much respect for KG and Pierce there is no way he would do something so disrespectful, in his mind, as to claim leadership of this team when they are still here.

I think Rondo disclaiming leadership of this team says more about just how great a leader he is than stating openly and/or braggadociously that he is the leader does.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:30:05 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
Rondo is more comfortable calling himself the best PG in the league than calling himself the leader of the team.

Which is fine with me.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:33:13 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
rondo might be considered the leader in terms of play.....but the true leaders of the team are pierce and kg imo

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:03:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Way I see it , Rondo runs the offense for Doc, he is the quarterback and thats a huge job and most on court responsibility.  KG seems to manage things mostly on the defensive side .

I think ROndo is "one " of the team leaders. One of two main assistanct Chiefs... 
  The guy that everybody respects and is gonna listen to NO MATTER WHAT on or off the court other than Doc is KG.

Pierce makes a great VICE PRESIDENT , bottom line KG is the HEART and SOUL of the Celtics today. 

KG is much like Larry Bird in that regard.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
His modest self.  Respect, bro.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would致e been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 10:16:08 PM »

Offline Valentines_at_Popeyes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 35
Way I see it , Rondo runs the offense for Doc, he is the quarterback and thats a huge job and most on court responsibility.  KG seems to manage things mostly on the defensive side .

I think ROndo is "one " of the team leaders. One of two main assistanct Chiefs... 
  The guy that everybody respects and is gonna listen to NO MATTER WHAT on or off the court other than Doc is KG.

Pierce makes a great VICE PRESIDENT , bottom line KG is the HEART and SOUL of the Celtics today. 

KG is much like Larry Bird in that regard.

I totally agree.  I recently read that Terry considers himself the captain of the bench.  I starting to like that idea as well, setting the tone and expectations for the bench.  This guy is flying his way into my heart.  ;D

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 10:19:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I like Rondo's response, and it's typical of him. It's not false modesty, but an intelligent and honest account of how he sees the situation.

Well maybe it isnt so typical. It is more revealing than the smug 'no comment' answers he usually gives ('that's not my call', 'I don't worry about that', stuff like that)

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think they probably don't care. They just want 18.

This^.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 10:35:34 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
So this means rondo is not ready to step up and take over right? This is not good news since EVERYONE has said its his team but yet he still say he not ready for it.

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 10:52:27 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
So this means rondo is not ready to step up and take over right? This is not good news since EVERYONE has said its his team but yet he still say he not ready for it.

He never said he's not ready. As said above, he just has too much respect for the vets, to say he's the leader.

Rondo has an odd, yet respectable thought process when it comes to things like this.

He'll be one of a number of leaders on this team, and he'll show it on the court. Rajon's the type to lead by example.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 11:04:01 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Look at this Boston team right now - who really has the greatest impact on the game both on the court and off?

The answer is Kevin Garnett.  Last season he not only had the highest +/- on the team (and it wasn't even close)  but also one of the highest in the league.  His on-court presence impacts the team more than any other player. 

If you look at the stat sheet you might THINK that Rondo has a greater impact becuase of the sheer numbers he records, but KG impacts the game by doing all the things you don't see on the stat sheet.

KG is one of the best in the league at setting screens, his ultra-reliable jump shot (he shot 46% from midrange last season) forces opposing bigs out of the pain, he's one of the best passing bigs in the league, he never gives up on a loose ball, he blocks and affects shots, he's great at defending the pick and roll and he's the heart and soul of Boston's league leading defense.

Rondo is not far behind in terms of his impact, but I honestly believe that losing KG for a game hurts us more then losing Rondo for a game.

RThe look at Pierce - he may not do quite as much as Rondo and Pierce on a nightly basis, but when the game is on the line there is NOBODY on this team who wants the ball more then Pierce.  He is one of the greatest clutch performers of the last two decades and his clutch play is the thing that gets us through so many of those tight "bar fight" games simply becuase he hits big shots at big times.

Rondo is an exceptional player and an exceptional leader - you could very well argue that he's right up there with those two guys in terms of his impact on the game and his ability to lead and take over a game...but you definately can't say he's ABOVE those two guys.

To me every one of those three guys ins critical and instrumental to the success of this Boston team.  Those three guys combine to form the very heart of this Boston team - take any one of them away, and we are half the team we are.  Those guys all lead by example with their resilience, their toughness, their maturity and their "never say die" mentality.

I completely respect what Rondo has said here, because I believe he knows all of the above as well as anyone does.  He knows [dang] well that hes a critical part of this team, but he also respects and acknowledges that he's merely a part of the body that makes this team live and breath.  Rondo is the brain that makes the decisions, KG is the heart that pumps life through the team, and Pierce is the muscle that does the heavy lifting.

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 11:36:49 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
that is what you got from rondo's statement  ::)

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 11:42:02 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Amen to like the first 5-6 7 posts or whatever

I'm like agree agree agree lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 12:59:28 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Look at this Boston team right now - who really has the greatest impact on the game both on the court and off?

The answer is Kevin Garnett.  Last season he not only had the highest +/- on the team (and it wasn't even close)  but also one of the highest in the league.  His on-court presence impacts the team more than any other player. 

If you look at the stat sheet you might THINK that Rondo has a greater impact becuase of the sheer numbers he records, but KG impacts the game by doing all the things you don't see on the stat sheet.

KG is one of the best in the league at setting screens, his ultra-reliable jump shot (he shot 46% from midrange last season) forces opposing bigs out of the pain, he's one of the best passing bigs in the league, he never gives up on a loose ball, he blocks and affects shots, he's great at defending the pick and roll and he's the heart and soul of Boston's league leading defense.

Rondo is not far behind in terms of his impact, but I honestly believe that losing KG for a game hurts us more then losing Rondo for a game.

Rondo also does a ton of things that don't end up in a stat sheet. But while KG is a great player, much of his "impact" came from being the only player on the roster over 6'8 that belonged in the rotation of a playoff team, one of only two decent players bigger than Pierce. (not meaning he's just decent, but that the big subs weren't) Hopefully we'll get decent enough play from Wilcox/Collins/Darko that we won't see the huge dropoff when he leaves the game, which would give him a lower plus/minus as well.