Author Topic: Double teaming Lebron with Pierce and Green  (Read 4413 times)

Double teaming Lebron with Pierce and Green
« on: October 02, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Is there a better double team defense anti-Lebron strategy out there than this duo?

Re: Double teaming Lebron with Pierce and Green
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 03:15:54 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Kobe/Artest, off the top of my head. Durant/Harden, probably.

Green hasn't shown he can defend at the highest level yet, but he was also in a poor system in OKC and playing out of position.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Soap07,

Harden is hardly an above average defender!!  He also does NOT have the length that Green has.  Also, PP is twice as strong as Durant.  I think that these combo's are comparable at worst.

Smitty77

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 06:04:26 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I am not sure we need to double Lebron if Green plays defense up to his potential.  In 2011 he did a more than adequate job on JBJ 1-on-1.

Yes, Lebron murdered us in Game 6.  He shot the lights out.  But he did not kill us in Game 7.  It was Bosh's wide-open corner 3's that did us in.  That and the shooting from Chalmers and Battier.  These guys get open when Wade and Lebron either drive and kick or are doubled.

The more we can D guys up without help, the less the scrubs hurt us in the end.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Defending Lebron James or any other high volume scorer is best served by an effective team defense. The reason guys like Lebron are so good is because no one player can cover them and if they are double teamed they game plan to get a shooter open to make the double teamer pay.

Our team defense does as well as any covering Lebron. this season I expect the Lakers, Spurs and probably the Bulls to do the best job after the Celtics.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 06:29:36 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I am not sure we need to double Lebron if Green plays defense up to his potential.  In 2011 he did a more than adequate job on JBJ 1-on-1.

Yes, Lebron murdered us in Game 6.  He shot the lights out.  But he did not kill us in Game 7.  It was Bosh's wide-open corner 3's that did us in.  That and the shooting from Chalmers and Battier.  These guys get open when Wade and Lebron either drive and kick or are doubled.

The more we can D guys up without help, the less the scrubs hurt us in the end.
True, still trapping is good once in a while as long as you do it wisely after the kick to somebody else everybody get back tied on a string
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Paul is a great team defender and a good man on defender.  Green to me has shown he is a very good man on defender, I have not seen enough of him to know how good a team defender he is (very important at this level as the great players you can't really stop just force into teammates)

To me the most important factor in defending lebron is rondo/bradley/lee.  Ball on pressure full court, bradley full court on chalmers, ray, wade will wreck havoc on their offensive sets and seriously eat into the shot clock.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 07:20:06 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Chalmers - Rondo
Wade/Allen - Bradley
James - Pierce, Green
Haslem -
Bosh - Garnett

Actually, quite a good idea!

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 07:31:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Defending LeBron is not the issue....he is defendable.

The issiue is getting equal and fair treatment on foul calls from the refs.

I'm  very skeptical

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Chalmers - Rondo
Wade/Allen - Bradley
James - Pierce, Green
Haslem -
Bosh - Garnett

Actually, quite a good idea!

The Heat ran a lineup minus Haslem and added Battier instead for a lot of last year. This would put Pierce on Battier and Green on Lebron or vice versa.

I think we probably put Courtney Lee on Ray Allen until Bradley is healthy. That might put Rondo on Wade and Lee or Terry on Chalmers as well.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 10:30:49 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

To me the most important factor in defending lebron is rondo/bradley/lee.  Ball on pressure full court, bradley full court on chalmers, ray, wade will wreck havoc on their offensive sets and seriously eat into the shot clock.

This is always a good idea.   Leave 'em with less clock -> more likely Lebron has to play hero ball and tries to win it 'Cleveland style'.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 10:31:54 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Double teaming Lebron opens up their shooters and gives them ample opportunity to get into a rhythm to hurt the C's.

Lebron's decision making and passing skills forces Doc to just leave it man to man because he's going to get his regardless.

Pick your poison: either play him 1 on 1 and let him get a few points above his point average and keep the role players on lock or double and he'll still shoot well, but will get the role players involved.

Wade is the lesser of 2 evils because he is not as good of a passer or decision maker than James. That is the reason why Wade was the one Doc chose to double him and play Lebron straight up.

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 12:28:25 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
You never beat LeBron by double teaming him.  He too effective with those possibilities.  You beat him with team defense.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 02:33:24 AM »

Offline thebat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
Regardless of... DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT LEAVE RAY ALLEN OPEN!

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 04:51:08 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Kobe/Artest, off the top of my head. Durant/Harden, probably.

Green hasn't shown he can defend at the highest level yet, but he was also in a poor system in OKC and playing out of position.

I can understand the Artest argument, but Kobe? I know he's a good defender, but he's giving up 2 inches and about 30 pounds trying to defend Lebron.

Same is true for Harden, who happens to be a terrible defender...and Durant isn't exactly fantastic on that end either.  To be honest Durant and Ibaka would probably have a better chance.

Pierce is strong enough and big enough to pressure Lebron, while Green is skinnier but has the height and length to give him trouble.  Both are above average defenders as well.

The only other combinations I can think of are:
* LA Clippers (Hill and Odom)
* Bulls (Deng and Gibson)