Poll

If you could, would you trade Bradley for Shumpert?

Yes
No

Author Topic: POLL: Bradley or Shumpert  (Read 6125 times)

Re: POLL: Bradley or Shumpert
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 11:01:56 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I try to do this like a math problem so here is what I have so far:

Speed: Tie
Bradley is faster in part because he's smaller but also because he's just one of the fastest guys in the NBA. Shumpert ran a 3.18 and Bradley ran a 3.14 in the 3/4 court sprints. That is to say that it's negligible.

Height: Shumpert
This is where I start thinking that Shump might be worth Bradley. He's got a ton of talent and he's taller than Bradley but about 3 inches. That means he can play 3 positions in a pinch. Also, and I have no stats for this, but his has a better handle than Bradley from what I've seen.

Defense: Bradley
He's just shown more so far. I've obviously watched more Celtics games than Knicks games but I haven't ever seen a game where Shumpert made the kind of difference that Bradley has. Bradley took a championship caliber team and made them better.

Injury History: Tie
This was a tough one. Bradley has had more injuries, ankle surgery and two shoulders but Shumpert had the dreaded ACL tear in his 1st season which is pretty tough to swallow. For a defensive minded guard I'd rather have Bradley's history. I called it a tie because it's a gut call.

Attitude: Bradley
This is more of a subjective category. I personally don't like a lot of bragging or egotism. Shumpert is a lot more hot-blooded while Bradley is very cool-headed. I tend to prefer the guys who are quiet killers. It's one of the reasons I love Rondo so much. Dude is 2nd all time in playoff triple doubles but in the post games you hear him  talking about how great Marquis Daniels played. Go figure.

So despite Shumpert being really impressive in his rookie campaign and taller, I really can't talk myself into giving up Bradley.

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 11:05:20 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Bradley is faster in part because he's smaller but also because he's just one of the fastest guys in the NBA. Shumpert ran a 3.18 and Bradley ran a 3.14 in the 3/4 court sprints. That is to say that it's negligible.

This is where I start thinking that Shump might be worth Bradley. He's got a ton of talent and he's taller than Bradley but about 3 inches. That means he can play 3 positions in a pinch. Also, and I have no stats for this, but his has a better handle than Bradley from what I've seen.

He's just shown more so far. I've obviously watched more Celtics games than Knicks games but I haven't ever seen a game where Shumpert made the kind of difference that Bradley has. Bradley took a championship caliber team and made them better.

This was a tough one. Bradley has had more injuries, ankle surgery and two shoulders but Shumpert had the dreaded ACL tear in his 1st season which is pretty tough to swallow. For a defensive minded guard I'd rather have Bradley's history. I called it a tie because it's a gut call.

This is more of a subjective category. I personally don't like a lot of bragging or egotism. Shumpert is a lot more hot-blooded while Bradley is very cool-headed. I tend to prefer the guys who are quiet killers. It's one of the reasons I love Rondo so much. Dude is 2nd all time in playoff triple doubles but in the post games you hear him  talking about how great Marquis Daniels played. Go figure.

So despite Shumpert being really impressive in his rookie campaign and taller, I really can't talk myself into giving up Bradley.

Is offense not part of the equation?  Because I think Shumpert is a much more polished offensive player, and that definitely closes the gap a bit (if there is one).

I think both players are still too unproven for either team to give them up (or trade for the other) at this point.  But they probably are pretty close in value.

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I like that the moment he's compared to a Celtic he becomes 'Chumpert'

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 11:16:43 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Is offense not part of the equation?  Because I think Shumpert is a much more polished offensive player, and that definitely closes the gap a bit (if there is one).

I think both players are still too unproven for either team to give them up (or trade for the other) at this point.  But they probably are pretty close in value.

In what way is Shumpert more polished offensively? I actually think Bradley probably has the edge inevery way offensively.

Defensively I think its a tougher call. If Shumpert can guard 3 positions that's a big advantage in this league especially with the influx of combo and wing players came n the league

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 11:49:32 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Two very similar players. It comes down to which injury is less serious Bad Knee (Torn ACL) or Bad Shoulder (Dislocated shoulder). Easy choice here Avery Bradley.

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 12:07:35 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I prefer Bradley. 

Does anyone have a timetable on Bradley?  When will he be ready to play?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 12:14:29 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Right now, it's Bradley and it's not even close.  The amount of talent Bradley has is on a different level than Shumpert.  Personally I don't see Shumpert improving much in the future but he might.  Bradley's confidence was holding him back and his production grows with confidence.  Shumpert is confident and athletic, but it's difficult for me to see much room for improvement.   
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Bradley, hands down.  The kid plays absolutely disruptive defense on opposing PGs (and DWade for that matter  ;D )

When you have a player that can stall an opposing offense for 8-10 seconds single-handedly on a number of possessions, you keep him unless you get a special talent in return.  Shumpert, while a nice young player to have, isn't at that level.

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 01:08:37 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

I think it's definitely part of the equation. An omission on my part because these two players aren't being compared for their offense. To your point I think they are comparable offensively but they get their points in different ways. Shumpert is probably better when it comes to dribble/drive and face up stuff. Bradley has significantly better shooting percentages.