Author Topic: Lamarcus Alridge + JJ Hickson for KG and Sully right now, do you do it?  (Read 4142 times)

Re: Lamarcus Alridge + JJ Hickson for KG and Sully right now, do you do it?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 09:02:12 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well....judging by the amount of times he did score in the paint during the playoffs, from what I've seen from KG I think he CAN score in the paint, and did so with some regularity during the playoffs.

This game to close out ATL in the playoffs last year proved that, to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BUHk-HhHTs

KG basically worked over Dampier, Horford, and Josh Smith that game - many of them were post moves, too.

Loved that game. KG basically put BOS on his back and carried us.

What a performance.

I'm gonna miss this in 3 years.....

He's a beast.

But I feel like he's been in overdrive in the playoffs last year. He stepped up big in the absence of everyone but Rondo and Bass.

Perhaps playing center was the reason. Or perhaps he's suddenly a lot more acquainted to his age. Hopefully it's not just a mean streak. I think it's possible.

Regardless, the original post was comparing KG to LaMarcus Aldridge on the offensive end. LeMarcus Aldridge consistently puts up 20 a night. Even the playoff KG couldn't do that.

Certainly not an insult to KG though. And TP for pointing out KG's offensive prowess in the playoffs. I'm certainly hoping it remains.

Yeah, I agree...KG was certainly in overdrive - especially for THIS particular game. I just remembered that this was the game right after the Hawks Co-Owner went running his trap, lol, about the Celtics' age and whatever.

KG is like Bruce Banner -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOXpKUu6pUg

FF to around the 42 sec portion - "Mr. Hawks Co-Owner - don't make me angry...you wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

The interesting this is that I bet that KG could STILL put up 20 pts a night...I'm not wearing my Green-tinted glasses, either.

BOS's offense is SO varied...I haven't seen any one player carry BOS for a long stretch in this big Four era....

If KG was the definite first option on offense for BOS, I'd bet he could score 20 a night, still. He is a great passer for a big, too - so he willingly gives up the ball a lot of times.

And even with the passes that don't end up as assists for KG, they oftentimes lead to another opportunity for a teammate to score.

LaMarcus is certainly the first option on most nights for POR. While he is definitely a fine player and scorer, I just don't see him and KG THAT much differently as far as offensively.

Take Ray Allen, for instance. On a team like GSW, I'd bet he would score 20 a night, too - even at 37.

TP back at you, too.

Re: Lamarcus Alridge + JJ Hickson for KG and Sully right now, do you do it?
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 09:06:15 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Aldridge also plays on a terrible Portland team where he is the primary scorer and is depended upon to score.

Remember KG averaged 24PPG during his final season in Minnesota, but that dropped immediately to ~18PPG once he moved over to Boston and had to share the offensive load with Ray and Pierce.  I assure you his game didn't drop off that significantly in one season, it's just his role that changed. His Per-48 minute production last season was right up there with 2008. 

KG has always been the 'unselfish superstar' - in fact he's often criticised for passing too often and not being as aggressive on offense as he should be. 

KG does have a very good post game - he has good footwork, good hands, he's athletic (compared to centers he matches up with) and his length allows him to shoot straight over guys.  He seldom plays in the post these days (probably to limit wear and tear) but when he does go down there he is usually very effective.

Besides offense isn't just scoring.  KG remains one of the greatest passing big men of the last two decades, is a career >80% free throw shooter and has an incredibly high basketball IQ - he always makes the right play. 

If I was at the end of a close game and I had to choose who to pass to, I'd choose KG over LA anytime.  He's just as likely to hit the big shot, but if he cant get a good shot off he is always going to get it to someone who can.

That's the amazing thing about KG.  Last season in the Playoffs he dominated teams on offense AND on defense, and it's incredibly hard (especially in todays league) to find a guy who dominate their matchup on both sides of the floor:

* Lebron
* Wade
* Kobe
* Dwight
* Bynum
* Chris Paul

That's really about it...and every one of those guys is a top 3 player at their position.

Take that multi-dimensional dominance that KG brings and combine it with his intangibles (the experience, intensity and leadership) and you have a guy who is absolutely irreplacable.

There will never be another KG.