Author Topic: josh smith flew to LA to practice with the celtics  (Read 30636 times)

Re: josh smith flew to LA to practice with the celtics
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2012, 11:10:59 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Bass and Bradley for Smith doesnt work salary-wise. Green and Bass does. The C's would need close to $11 million in salary going out in order to trade for Smith.

I would do this trade in a heartbeat. If Bradley has to be involved i'd say no. To me he's as close to untouchable as anyone on the team (beside Rondo and KG). Elite wing defenders don't grow on trees, and you can bet one move Danny regrets has been letting TA walk. When kobe beef calls a former player the best one on one defender in the league i tend to take note..
It's gotta be Bass and Green both salary-wise and to retain future young talent by keeping Bradley and Sully.  Last season, Bass improved a lot but his limitations will make him level out.  Green may also level out, assuming he is back at full capability.

In a sense, Green's large contract facilitates a move like this. 
Smith replaces Bass but there would be a big hole at the backup 3 with Green gone.  Other than that, it's a trade deadline move I would be happy with.

Not so sure about that. Lee can play some SF and I really think Joseph in going to be a solid NBA player. He was the top scorer on a team that was a #1 seed in the tourney (until Fab Melo got suspended) He looks like a good athelte who can p;ay some defense and knows how to score.

I would take that with the Lee,Joseph playing sf and the upgrade at PF with Smith for Bass,Green and picks

PG:Rondo    Terry      vet min
SG: Bradley Lee        xmas
SF: PP      Joseph     Lee
PF: Smith   Sully      Wilcox
 C:kg       Darko      Collins

honestly, it all depends how well jeff green does. jeff green mostly at the 3, in the celtics system, can be close to as good as josh smith. im not saying he's played up to the level of josh smith so far in his career, but he can do it this year.

Additionally, if you were to trade bass and green for smith, i really wouldn't be worried about the 3 spot, because although he plays the 4 in atlanta, he is really a combo guard with strong leanings towards the 4. that is, he can play the 3 if needed, he can guard lebron to put it bluntly.

and just out of curiosity, how about jeff green, brandon bass, and a 1st for josh smith and a 1st?

personally, i think danny would be more inclined to try and wait till draft day and swing a trade of bradley and bass for a top three pick and grab a potential superstar to set up the team after pierce and KG retire.
Hey if Smith can keep up with the quicker SF's in this league then I'm all for it.  I do think ATL will want some young talent (Sully or Bradley) in addition to Green/Bass/picks.  That would be a tough one.  I would rather keep those two and offer Melo instead.

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2012, 11:34:41 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Josh Smith is terrific, and would surely be an upgrade over Bass any day of the week.

But I don't think I give up JGreen and another asset for him, and I'm not entirely sure I do it straight up.

Bass, picks, some trade BS magic, whatever, but I'm just not sold enough on Josh as a key top-two player on a champion next to Rondo...more like the third banana. 

As it is, I'd just as well try out Green and/or Sullinger in that role and hang on to Bradley and/or Bass as a bonus...for the trouble of being contenders while we experiment with the next generation's contender, I guess.

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2012, 11:43:55 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Bass and Bradley for Smith doesnt work salary-wise. Green and Bass does. The C's would need close to $11 million in salary going out in order to trade for Smith.

I would do this trade in a heartbeat. If Bradley has to be involved i'd say no. To me he's as close to untouchable as anyone on the team (beside Rondo and KG). Elite wing defenders don't grow on trees, and you can bet one move Danny regrets has been letting TA walk. When kobe beef calls a former player the best one on one defender in the league i tend to take note..
It's gotta be Bass and Green both salary-wise and to retain future young talent by keeping Bradley and Sully.  Last season, Bass improved a lot but his limitations will make him level out.  Green may also level out, assuming he is back at full capability.

Smith replaces Bass but there would be a big hole at the backup 3 with Green gone.  Other than that, it's a trade deadline move I would be happy with.

Not so sure about that. Lee can play some SF and I really think Joseph in going to be a solid NBA player. He was the top scorer on a team that was a #1 seed in the tourney (until Fab Melo got suspended) He looks like a good athelte who can p;ay some defense and knows how to score.

I would take that with the Lee,Joseph playing sf and the upgrade at PF with Smith for Bass,Green and picks

honestly, it all depends how well jeff green does. jeff green mostly at the 3, in the celtics system, can be close to as good as josh smith. im not saying he's played up to the level of josh smith so far in his career, but he can do it this year.

Additionally, if you were to trade bass and green for smith, i really wouldn't be worried about the 3 spot, because although he plays the 4 in atlanta, he is really a combo guard with strong leanings towards the 4. that is, he can play the 3 if needed, he can guard lebron to put it bluntly.

and just out of curiosity, how about jeff green, brandon bass, and a 1st for josh smith and a 1st?

personally, i think danny would be more inclined to try and wait till draft day and swing a trade of bradley and bass for a top three pick and grab a potential superstar to set up the team after pierce and KG retire.
Hey if Smith can keep up with the quicker SF's in this league then I'm all for it.  I do think ATL will want some young talent (Sully or Bradley) in addition to Green/Bass/picks.  That would be a tough one.  I would rather keep those two and offer Melo instead.

Hmm...

Bass, Bradley, Melo, Pick?  Need to find a contract to trade somehow.  Krystic to the rescue?  Ideas?

BUT the current roster would have to look like it needs a kick before I'd try anything...too many guys just signed.

Otherwise, I don't think Smith is a guy you grenade it for.  Maybe next offseason.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:58:35 PM by More Banners »

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2012, 12:35:05 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
i wouldn't mind giving up Jeff Green and Bass for Josh Smith. It would mean starting Smith at the 4, and that both Josh Smith and Courtney Lee would have to both split the minutes for the back up 3 slot.

For Atlanta, they get a solid starting 3 and 4, locked up for multiple years, to go along with Horford and Jeff Teague.

sounds like the rare trade where both teams actually do come out for the better!
- LilRip

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2012, 02:53:49 AM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
I get that Smith is better than Green, but how much? We know what Smith is, a talented defender who can run and finish but has an identity crisis as a jumpshooter.

Green can only get better IMO. Smooth in transition, nice jumper from all over, good post moves against SF's, and good D.

I'd go for Smith if we can do something like Bass/Bradley/Melo/picks/whatever else to make salaries match.

Rather go after DMC if we are gonna make a big move.
sory smith is just all around better to me...im tryna find a stat where green was actually better then smith....cant find one..oh wait FT%....THATS IT

idk WHY yall are so in love with jeff green, HE IS NOTHING SPECIAL AT ALL. Never was anything special and will never be worth what we are paying for him lol. Josh Smith is a star and intimidating on D. Josh over bass and green ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

I also want to state that smith is a double double machine and racked up 28 in one season...3 more and he would have more then green had his entire career. ppl keep getting on smiths long 2's ok I get that..But don't say jeff green is any better.  Green hovers around that 4.4% fg range just like smith...as matter a fact smiths FG % was higher smh.

So smith is a better Defense of player, Rebounder, and racks up more points. So how much better is Smith compared to Green? a crap load better! Now im not getting on DMc I got nothing but love for him! But he is seriously unrealistic in my book.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 03:12:42 AM by BostonNative »

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2012, 08:40:51 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

Hmm...

Bass, Bradley, Melo, Pick?  Need to find a contract to trade somehow.  Krystic to the rescue?  Ideas?

BUT the current roster would have to look like it needs a kick before I'd try anything...too many guys just signed.

Otherwise, I don't think Smith is a guy you grenade it for.  Maybe next offseason.
Again, you have to include both Bass and Green to make the salaries work.  I agree with BostonNative that Green is just not as good.  I remember when the C's drafted him thinking that is was a "safe" pick, a guy you know has enough all around talent to be productive in the NBA but not a guy who might become franchise-level player.

Ultimately I believe the best argument to bring Smith here is the excellent defense he is capable of playing (when he really applies himself, like in last year's playoffs). The sober reality is that Miami won because LeBron played out of his mind. Pierce I as good as anyone at defending him but he will need even more help and I'm not sure Green can do a better job than Smith.

« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2012, 08:55:28 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
We have NO small forward to backup Pierce if Green goes.  We need him, and we really need a 'jack of all trades' player off the bench who can do a little bit of everything - score, grab some boards, play some defense, run the break.

Terry is going to be our primary scorer off the bench, but while he will get the occasional assist, scoring is really gong to be the main commodity he provides.

Lee is mostly a spot up shooter and doesn't really do a lot else aside from some maybe play solid defense (I've heard mixed reports on that).

Sullinger has talent but is unproven, Wilcox can be very solid but isn't dominant, Darko and Collins are...well they are Darko and Collins. 

Without Green we have a solid bench, with Green we have an exceptional bench.  People may say he's not that great, but even worst case scenario (at the worst we've him) he is elite by bench player standards...and we need that.  Best case scenario a fire lights under his but and he brings out some of the potential Doc and Danny have always seen in him, and then he earns every cent.

He and Terry are the last guys I want to trade outside of Pierce, KG and Rondo because they are the guys who are going to be the leaders of our second unit.  If those two guys can be elite bench players it takes pressure off Lee, Sullinger, Wilcox, Collins and Milicic to be able to just play their game rather than trying to do more than they are comfortable with.

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2012, 09:11:48 AM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
We have NO small forward to backup Pierce if Green goes.  We need him, and we really need a 'jack of all trades' player off the bench who can do a little bit of everything - score, grab some boards, play some defense, run the break.

Terry is going to be our primary scorer off the bench, but while he will get the occasional assist, scoring is really gong to be the main commodity he provides.

Lee is mostly a spot up shooter and doesn't really do a lot else aside from some maybe play solid defense (I've heard mixed reports on that).

Sullinger has talent but is unproven, Wilcox can be very solid but isn't dominant, Darko and Collins are...well they are Darko and Collins. 

Without Green we have a solid bench, with Green we have an exceptional bench.  People may say he's not that great, but even worst case scenario (at the worst we've him) he is elite by bench player standards...and we need that.  Best case scenario a fire lights under his but and he brings out some of the potential Doc and Danny have always seen in him, and then he earns every cent.

He and Terry are the last guys I want to trade outside of Pierce, KG and Rondo because they are the guys who are going to be the leaders of our second unit.  If those two guys can be elite bench players it takes pressure off Lee, Sullinger, Wilcox, Collins and Milicic to be able to just play their game rather than trying to do more than they are comfortable with.
From the way Kris was balling I see the "potential" needed to come off the bench for pierce. I'm sorry I just don't see the argument where you can tell me green is useful over anyone. Your basically saying a role player is more needed then an elite starter.

Heck Smith can play some PP and put sully in at PF at those times. Can even throw KG in a PF Smith at SF and Darko at C...A lot of different things can happen when pierce is out. Again I usually don't gush of Rooks, I usually say I can careless what they do in college its about on the court, but Kris showed me he can ball.

Aye if push come to shove then we just sign donte greene as a SF and boom....Green replaced

« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2012, 09:28:04 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

From the way Kris was balling I see the "potential" needed to come off the bench for pierce. I'm sorry I just don't see the argument where you can tell me green is useful over anyone. Your basically saying a role player is more needed then an elite starter.

Heck Smith can play some PP and put sully in at PF at those times. Can even throw KG in a PF Smith at SF and Darko at C...A lot of different things can happen when pierce is out. Again I usually don't gush of Rooks, I usually say I can careless what they do in college its about on the court, but Kris showed me he can ball.

Aye if push come to shove then we just sign donte greene as a SF and boom....Green replaced
Yet another great point.  Backup SF and backup SG are perhaps the easiest positions to fill of the all the positions in a 10-man depth chart. In addition, Doc can throw Lee or Smith in there for spot minutes at SF when he goes with either small or big lineups, respectively.

The more I've followed and posted on this thread, the more convinced I am that a Bass/Green/picks for Smith trade would be a great move.  I think the numbers work and it means the future core would be Rondo/Bradley/Smith/Sully. Sign me up!

« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
3-Team trade *suggestion*
Toronto-Celtics-Hawks

Celtics* Receive- Josh Smith

Toronto* Receives- Jeff Green, Zaza Pachulia, Bos 1st round

Hawks* Receive- Andre Bargania, Brandon Bass, Darko Millic, Raptors 1st round, (2)2nd rounders from Boston.

Toronto Roster:
pg Jose Calderon/Kyle Lowry/John Lucas 3

sg Landry Fields/Terrance Ross/Alan Anderson

sf DeMar DeRozen/Quincy Acy/Amir Johnson

PF  Jeff Green/Ed Davis/Linas Kleiza

C Jonas Valanciunas/ Zaza Pachu/ Aron Gray
-----------------------------------------------------

Hawks:

pg Devin Harris/Jeff teauge

sg Louis Williams/John Jenkins/Anthony Morrow/

sf Kyle Korver/Mike Scott/Deshawn Stevenson

pf Al Horford/Brandon Bass

C Andre Bargania/Darko Millic/Johan Petro

You already know boston

« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I wouldn't be surprized to see Smith leverage his way onto the Celtics.  Doc , Danny , Rondo all like the guy .  Probally the team that wants to stop this more than the Hawks , is the Lakers. 

My opinion is Bass , Green , Lee , and even Bradley better really stroke it .

I would love to see Josh starting backed up by Sully !! And Fab behind KG. !!!

« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2012, 10:28:36 AM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
Actuially I just got off a Raptors forum so give me a second imma re work that trade.

eh do it later but atl gets caldron instead of the bargani
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 10:36:19 AM by BostonNative »

« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Idea

Celtics Get: Josh Smith, Omri Casspi

Hawks Get: Fab Melo, Alonzo Gee, Darko Milicic, Celtics 1st round pick, Cavaliers 2nd round pick

Cavaliers Get: Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, Celtics 2nd round pick

Celics get Josh Smith who is an upgrade over Brandon Bass and they get Omri Casspi who can be a solid back-up at the small foward spot.

This trade works for the Hawks if they decide to rebuild. They get a center prospect, a talented player in Gee, and Darko's 1-year contract. Also, they get a couple picks to help rebuilding.

The Cavs get an athletic, veteran small foward to go with Irving and Waiters. Also, they get another veteran role player in Bass. If Jeff Green goes back to his 16 and 6 days in Okc, this is an excellent trade for the Cavs.

« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2012, 11:04:36 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Idea

Celtics Get: Josh Smith, Omri Casspi

Hawks Get: Fab Melo, Alonzo Gee, Darko Milicic, Celtics 1st round pick, Cavaliers 2nd round pick

Cavaliers Get: Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, Celtics 2nd round pick

Celics get Josh Smith who is an upgrade over Brandon Bass and they get Omri Casspi who can be a solid back-up at the small foward spot.

This trade works for the Hawks if they decide to rebuild. They get a center prospect, a talented player in Gee, and Darko's 1-year contract. Also, they get a couple picks to help rebuilding.

The Cavs get an athletic, veteran small foward to go with Irving and Waiters. Also, they get another veteran role player in Bass. If Jeff Green goes back to his 16 and 6 days in Okc, this is an excellent trade for the Cavs.
Imagine this Celtics team:
Rondo-Bradley-Pierce-Smith-Garnett
Terry-Lee-Casspi-Sullinger-Wilcox
Guard-Christmas-Joseph-Foward-Collins

Our starting 5 will lock teams down. Our bench isn't much worse than it was before. We can sign Kenyon Martin to fill that void at foward and a veteran PG.

« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2012, 11:10:08 AM »

Offline syn2k12

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
these trade ideas are so unncessary. i dont understand why people wont give this team a chance. our roster almost seems so surreal, one fit in with another, and they all get along, its perfectly synchronized. we dont need to trade avery away, because it would be like trading perkins away, rondo really respects him. we don't need to trade this guy or that guy. we have enough super stars as it. all our role players fit in perfectly. this team is in good shape, and adding a superstar, doesn't mean it will make our team better.