Author Topic: josh smith flew to LA to practice with the celtics  (Read 30640 times)

Re: josh smith flew to LA to practice with the celtics
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta say that I am not a fan of Smith's and it has mostly to do with his love of his extremely erratic outside shooting. The way he falls in love with the outside shot and then completely forgets he is bast suited to play in the paint reminds me of Antoine Walker. Walker drove me nuts shooting threes instead of going in the paint.

I had the same holdup, but you have to think he wouldn't have the same game here, seeing as Atlanta and Boston couldn't be further apart in terms of offensive schemes.  They were an isolation team first and foremost, that didn't like to pass and had trouble getting Smith the ball down low (especially when Johnson was doing his own iso and wanted Smith out of the way).  This resulted in Smith having to play a lot of point, and setting up his teammates from a face-up triple-threat position (and every team knows which of the three options he'll burn you with least often).

I feel like he'd still do that here, just less often.  With our style of play and vastly different personnel I think the way we would set him up would curb his appetite for the jumpshot.  He'd realize he can still get his points, just in a way that's much easier here than in Atlanta.

Three years ago he was asked to stop taking 3s for the better of the team and he immediately did it cold turkey.  He's willing to win, but probably realized a while ago he can't do it with the Hawks.  If we told him instead of so many jump shots, he can move the ball and actually get the ball back (never happen in Atlanta) I don't see why he wouldn't listen to reason.  I think people underrate what it's like playing with KG and seeing such a lethal player pass up open shots to keep the ball moving.  It's a contagious sort of unselfishness and I bet you feel pretty stupid if he passes up an open shot so you, a lesser shooter, can take a contested shot (and when he says something about your mom afterwards).  Most teammates aren't used to this and change their game accordingly, the most glaring examples being Jeff Green and Krstic who came from an offensive set almost identical to Atlanta.
I agree with a lot of this and would hope and pray you are right if Smith ever got here. I have to say he impressed the heck out of me with his defense and rebounding in last years playoffs.

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 12:53:47 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I would call up Atlanta's FO and offer Pierce and filler for Smith in a heartbeat.

C'mon Man not the Captain..... :o

Agreed.

Pierce may not be young, but he's still an All-Star, a top 15 clutch scorer and a versatile player who can contribute to the game in almost every way.

If Boston were looking to rebuilt from scratch all of this would be unimportant, but the team Boston has assembled makes it obvious they want to win now - if that's the case, Pierce is one guy you DON'T let go of.

Why exactly is Pierce the guy you "DON'T" want to let go??

Did he not get schooled by Lebron in the playoffs last year?

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 12:58:04 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I would call up Atlanta's FO and offer Pierce and filler for Smith in a heartbeat.

Agreed.

Pierce may not be young, but he's still an All-Star, a top 15 clutch scorer and a versatile player who can contribute to the game in almost every way.

If Boston were looking to rebuilt from scratch all of this would be unimportant, but the team Boston has assembled makes it obvious they want to win now - if that's the case, Pierce is one guy you DON'T let go of.

Pierce was playing with a strained MCL and even them he did rather well in that series...

the dagger 3 in lebron's face in game 5?

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 01:01:16 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Hum wonder what the HAWKs , Hawk fans , GM , ect think about their star flying across the country to practice a team of guys he SHOULD be building a bad attitude about...LOL  ???

I wonder it JSmith is gonna wear a Celtics tee while he practices (with the enemy) . 8)

One on one with a Celtic or two is one thing, but to join a near full team gether together on the opposite side of the country and so near preseason??? ....well, that strikes me of kinda like cheating on your spouse.

If he wants to be a Celtic so bad...I'm all for accomidating him

I think Josh ..know we are gonna hang #18 this year and WANTS on this runna away train.

with a SEE YA ..JEFF GREEN  ;D

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14

Agreed.

Sorry just not comfortable letting our top scorer go. PP is needed just like KG and not only for the CHEMISTRY factor. Yeah he slowed down but how many wings out there can knock down countless 3's in transition?

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2012, 01:14:40 PM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
I just don't understand the love for Smith around here.

Smith is a better player than Bass, granted. But Bass showed a lot of improvement defensively last year, and has better shooting numbers than Smith. He struggled a bit more at the rim, but nothing crazy.

Bass comes at less than half the price of Smith though, so if you're going to double the price, you better double the production. There's no way in hell Smith is literally twice the player Bass is.

We got a bargain on Bass, and now you want to trade that away for a marginally better player at twice the cost?

Come on...

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 01:21:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I just don't understand the love for Smith around here.

Smith is a better player than Bass, granted. But Bass showed a lot of improvement defensively last year, and has better shooting numbers than Smith. He struggled a bit more at the rim, but nothing crazy.

Bass comes at less than half the price of Smith though, so if you're going to double the price, you better double the production. There's no way in hell Smith is literally twice the player Bass is.

We got a bargain on Bass, and now you want to trade that away for a marginally better player at twice the cost?

Come on...
His elite defense, exceptional rebounding and okay passing alone make him a better player than Bass. Now add in the fact that he is a much better post player and yes, I think Smith is worth twice the money that Bass is.

Heck, I am not even a Josh Smith fan and I can see that.

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 01:29:02 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
to me...bass is ONLY a close range shooter when open. All Bass offer is a mid-range shot when open. When the D got to him he would either miss the shot or look like a deer in headlights. He don't snag many rebounds, No power throw downs, not exciting to watch, not known to block shots. Bass is a role player for a reason he is clearly not a starter.

On the other hand we have  J-smooth. When he steps on the court he probably is getting a double double at least REB, PTS. He also gets a fair share of blocks and steals(ppl seem to forget he gets atleast a steal a game). Yeah he takes bad long range 2's but its obvious why he does. ATL had noone but him and when your team is in panic mode you look for your star to take the shot right? Thats what he tried to do.

You say bass has better shooting number, well of course. Bass takes waaaay less shots then smith beacuse bass is not a star. Also I would like to point out that their FG % is not that far apart lol.

Who would you rather see go against Lebron? Smith or Bass? Of course not bass he has no D.

Also would like to say smith had 3x more steals then bass

2x more blocks

4x more assist

2x more rebounds

=D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:41:29 PM by BostonNative »

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2012, 01:33:25 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Agreed.

Because I honestly don't think that Josh Smith, even though I'd love him in Green - would fair any better vs LeBron.

And Josh Smith, while a very good player - is not a great shooter. He can get streaky and score from outside, but it's no where near the ability of Paul Pierce - even at 34 years of age.

While - again - I've been a HUGE proponent of Josh Smith in Green, such a trade for Paul Pierce would leave a void of leadership and scoring - especially from the free-throw line.

Josh Smith is decent from the charity stripe, at best.

Opponents would collapse on us, in that trading Paul Pierce would take away one of our BEST 3-pt shooters (with Ray Allen departing for MIA).

I'd bet that Josh Smith would get better playing in BOS - for Doc Rivers and next to Rondo and KG. But PLEASE - not at the expense of Paul Pierce.

Paul Pierce, while never flashy throughout his career - is STILL an elite player. He's a good defender and an elite scorer, still.

For me, I'd rather just sit with what Danny has done with the roster so far...let's see what this group can do.

I realize that Danny Ferry could possibly trade Josh before the deadline in order to at least get some value for him, but I wouldn't want to touch our Big Three - Rondo/Paul or KG right now.

EDITED - Paul Pierce is ONE OF our best 3-pt shooters - not the best one statistically.

That goes to Jet - at 38% for his career. Paul is roughly 37% from deep for his career.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:54:41 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2012, 01:58:21 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Can we all just take a second and PRAY that Smith doesn't land with the Lakers? Something like Smith and Harris for Gasol, young players and draft picks works. Seems unlikely but you never know with LA's uncanny ability to get any player they want giving little in return.

I mean if the Lakers have Kobe, Howard, Nash and Smith there is really no need to have a playoff. Lakers will win it all. 

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2012, 02:32:57 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Can we all just take a second and PRAY that Smith doesn't land with the Lakers? Something like Smith and Harris for Gasol, young players and draft picks works. Seems unlikely but you never know with LA's uncanny ability to get any player they want giving little in return.

I mean if the Lakers have Kobe, Howard, Nash and Smith there is really no need to have a playoff. Lakers will win it all.

I don't think LA has any draft picks left, do they? Didn't they give several picks just to get Nash?

I'm not even 100% sure they'd do Gasol for Smith straight up. Gasol, while still an elite player, won't be elite for much longer, and is already showing signs of decline.

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Haven't read the entire thread so this may have been asked already.

Why not just wait for Smith to become an UFA and grab him next summer.

Or, make a trade with some of our younger players for an expiring contract and another very good younger player to pair with Rondo and Smith.

Don't trade our players for Smith - trade them to clear space to get him next summer and get another young piece to pair with Rondo and Smith as well.

If Smith really wants to play with Rondo and and the Celtics, he probably can just refuse to sign an extension with anyone if he's traded....

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2012, 02:45:07 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
To add on -

I really like our young crop of players and think we should let them all grow together. The ideal scenario to me is to figure out the way to get Smith in the off season with giving up our young players.

Melo / Milicic
Smith / Bass / Sully
Jeff Green
Lee / Bradley
Rondo / Point

if Melo pans out in 2-3 years to be a decent center, that team could be very good.

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2012, 02:45:57 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Haven't read the entire thread so this may have been asked already.

Why not just wait for Smith to become an UFA and grab him next summer.

Or, make a trade with some of our younger players for an expiring contract and another very good younger player to pair with Rondo and Smith.

Don't trade our players for Smith - trade them to clear space to get him next summer and get another young piece to pair with Rondo and Smith as well.

If Smith really wants to play with Rondo and and the Celtics, he probably can just refuse to sign an extension with anyone if he's traded....

That's the thing, though - I'm betting that Ferry won't simply let Josh Smith walk.

I'm sure that if Ferry decides that Smith isn't in ATL's future he will at least try to get something in return for him.