Author Topic: josh smith flew to LA to practice with the celtics  (Read 30527 times)

josh smith flew to LA to practice with the celtics
« on: September 26, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
"Rondo said the only Celtics that didn't play were Pierce and Fab Melo. Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith, a close friend of Rondo's, also played."

Josh Smith came out to LA and hung out with the entire celtics team--- no other non-celtics involved.

Re: josh smith flew to LA to practice with the celtics
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Getting a head start on learning the offense.  ;D

That said, why doesn't Josh Smith organize an Atlanta Hawks practice instead of practicing with the Celtics?  That would seem to be more productive, no?

EDIT: In another thread this was quoted as being a flag football game, in which case, still silly, but my comment about him learning the offense seems off.  And also, what must it be like to fly to LA just to play flag football with your friends?  Sigh.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Love the idea.
The plus about practicing with us is that he wouldnt have a hard time picking a new team next year ;D
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 02:51:56 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
He played flag football didn't say he practiced with them
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, he IS close friends with Rondo....he does love BOS - giving our crowd much props after our playoff win last year....

That being said, I'd be VERY hesitant, if I were Danny, about pulling the plug on ANY potential trade just yet. I just feel that our squad, as is, is ready to do some serious damage well into June next year - and year after that.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 03:41:18 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Josh Smith likes playing with Rondo.  If I was that athletic I'd take any chance I got to play in a pick-up game with Rondo.

Rondo also likes playing with Josh Smith.  He says they really make each other better.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 03:47:59 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
Well, he IS close friends with Rondo....he does love BOS - giving our crowd much props after our playoff win last year....

That being said, I'd be VERY hesitant, if I were Danny, about pulling the plug on ANY potential trade just yet. I just feel that our squad, as is, is ready to do some serious damage well into June next year - and year after that.
The NBA is a league of where stars flourish and teams win because of stars. I, like you, also love our team on paper, depth in all 5 positions. With that said, adding a star will take this roster to the next level. I am all for getting Josh Smith if all we had to give up is Avery and Bass.
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 04:25:30 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

The NBA is a league of where stars flourish and teams win because of stars. I, like you, also love our team on paper, depth in all 5 positions. With that said, adding a star will take this roster to the next level. I am all for getting Josh Smith if all we had to give up is Avery and Bass.
I am not a huge Josh Smith fan, but definitely open to him coming here in the right deal.  I can't wait to see how this team looks as they start playing together.  I'd imagine Doc's head is spinning about the many combination he'll have to choose from.  I am psyched to see how this plays out.  If C's see a need come January, go get Smith.  Darko, Rondo and Smith could comprise 3/5 of the worst FT shooting lineup in history.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 04:41:49 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Is not clear that the boost to our team's performance by adding Josh Smith would be at all equal to that of adding Avery Bradley. Remember Bradley was replacing Ray Allen. We are assuming that JET and Lee would replace Bradley.

You are trading Bradley for Smith with Bass to fill the void left by Smith. We need Bradley more long term than we need Smith.

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 04:43:16 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Has anyone considered the possibility of J-Smoove pulling a Howard and forcing his hand to Boston? Maybe we can even get him for pennies on the dollar if he tells Atlanta he won't sign with anyone else.

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
Has anyone considered the possibility of J-Smoove pulling a Howard and forcing his hand to Boston? Maybe we can even get him for pennies on the dollar if he tells Atlanta he won't sign with anyone else.
funny i just said thaat in the other thread lol

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The problem is, the Lakers still gave up a heck of an asset to get Howard, and the C's might not have that.

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 04:55:08 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14

The problem is, the Lakers still gave up a heck of an asset to get Howard, and the C's might not have that.
problem with that is smith is not on howards level. Howard is THE BEST CENTER in the league. Smith Although is my favorite forward he is not the best the NBA has to offer.

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Now THAT I would LOVE...BOS is due to have someone fall into their laps, Pau Gasol-style.

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 04:57:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

problem with that is smith is not on howards level. Howard is THE BEST CENTER in the league. Smith Although is my favorite forward he is not the best the NBA has to offer.

Right.  But the C's still have to give up salary to match him.  And Atlanta may not want to take it on.