Author Topic: Ferry: Unlikely Josh Smith offered extension during next season  (Read 16078 times)

Re: Ferry: Unlikely Josh Smith offered extension during next season
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2012, 11:33:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Amnestying Pierce does not open up his $15 million salary slot, it just clears him off the books. Clearing his salary off the books doesn't get the Celtics anywhere near enough cap space to sign Josh Smith. This is why trading for him during the season would be so important, that and the fact the Celtics wouldn't be able to sign and trade for Smith because they might be above the tax threshold which eliminates a team from doing sign and trade deals.

To play Devils Advocate, if the C's did use the Amnesty on Pierce next year, and then cut KG using the stretch provision (they would only do either of these if both of them decided they wanted to retire, and the team was going in a different direction...but just throwing it out there), that would put them at around $48 million.  If the cap goes up a bit (which I have heard is likely), that could get them $10-12 million to offer Smith, and hope he will take a discount (or they could get him a little more money via sign and trade, sending a young guy or two to Atlanta).

Of course, this would be a pretty terrible turn of events, but its possible.

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2012, 11:34:57 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
In every Josh Smith thread on here, I think I have proposed the following trade, which I believe is reasonable for both teams

Josh Smith

for

Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger, and Avery Bradley

I'd probably be willing to throw in a protected 1st if it was necessary.

I'm not sure that can work money wise.   

While that just barely does cover the the salary exchange threshold (At 8.9M it's right around the minimum 67% of Smith's 13.2M salary.), there is an additional problem.

While that would be legal for the particular trade, it brings back a net +4.3M of additional salary to the books, prorated by whenever this happens.   Let's say it happens with 2/3 of the season left.  That would add $2.9M to our salary budget for the season.   I'm pretty sure that would push us over the hard cap threshold that Danny and Wyc seem determined to stay just under.

I think any trade to bring JSmith in is going to need to send at least 10M outward in salary, and maybe 11M.

This is why I think Bass & Lee (11M) make a better pair to send, possibly with Sully (brings the total to 12.3M).   Three young players under cheap contracts and several years of control in exchange for Smith, who ATL would lose at the end of the season.   Season with a couple of draft picks.  Deal.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2012, 12:06:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
In every Josh Smith thread on here, I think I have proposed the following trade, which I believe is reasonable for both teams

Josh Smith

for

While that just barely does cover the the salary exchange threshold (At 8.9M it's right around the minimum 67% of Smith's 13.2M salary.), there is an additional problem.

While that would be legal for the particular trade, it brings back a net +4.3M of additional salary to the books, prorated by whenever this happens.   Let's say it happens with 2/3 of the season left.  That would add $2.9M to our salary budget for the season.   I'm pretty sure that would push us over the hard cap threshold that Danny and Wyc seem determined to stay just under.

I think any trade to bring JSmith in is going to need to send at least 10M outward in salary, and maybe 11M.

This is why I think Bass & Lee (11M) make a better pair to send, possibly with Sully (brings the total to 12.3M).   Three young players under cheap contracts and several years of control in exchange for Smith, who ATL would lose at the end of the season.   Season with a couple of draft picks.  Deal.
But why would Atlanta want to take on that much salary.  I suppose if you found a third team to take Lee it might make some sense, but I can't see Atlanta wanting Lee given their current makeup and salary situation.  Bradley also has a much higher upside and is probably worth more of a risk.  You can't just look at from Boston's perspective, the trade has to make sense for Atlanta and Bass and Lee (even with Sullinger) does not.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2012, 12:13:17 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120

Josh Smith

for

But why would Atlanta want to take on that much salary.  I suppose if you found a third team to take Lee it might make some sense, but I can't see Atlanta wanting Lee given their current makeup and salary situation.  Bradley also has a much higher upside and is probably worth more of a risk.  You can't just look at from Boston's perspective, the trade has to make sense for Atlanta and Bass and Lee (even with Sullinger) does not.

This trade makes sense and is fair for both teams. The problem is there is a good chance that Bradley turns out to be a all-star in the future. Also Smith is going to be looking for max money when he resigns.

« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2012, 12:17:15 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14

Josh Smith

for

This trade makes sense and is fair for both teams. The problem is there is a good chance that Bradley turns out to be a all-star in the future. Also Smith is going to be looking for max money when he resigns.
Im telling you if smith wants to compete with a contender team he is not going to look for max money he is not dumb.

« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2012, 12:33:04 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120

Josh Smith

for

Im telling you if smith wants to compete with a contender team he is not going to look for max money he is not dumb.

He is going to be 28 in December. Last year he put 18.8 ppg 9.6 rebounds and 3.9 asts while playing 35 mpg. This next contract is his chance at big money. His next contract he will be well into his thirtys.

Mostly only vets take less money to play on contenders or to stay with the contender that they have played for. While I would love to have Smith on the Celtics.
It is not very likely.

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2012, 12:39:16 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White

Josh Smith

for

He is going to be 28 in December. Last year he put 18.8 ppg 9.6 rebounds and 3.9 asts while playing 35 mpg. This next contract is his chance at big money. His next contract he will be well into his thirtys.

Mostly only vets take less money to play on contenders or to stay with the contender that they have played for. While I would love to have Smith on the Celtics.
It is not very likely.
That case he will Re-sign with the hawks... I already said if he wants money he will go to the hawks if he wants to win he will go to either the Lakers, Miami, Thunder, Or Celtics. He already makes max money for a play-off team but he wants more. Therefore he will take what he can get from those teams.

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
I want to mess with his mind lol. ATL VS Celtics game @ Boston I want us to roar "WE WANT JOSH SMITH" lol. Only prob is we don't play at home with them till march smh

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2012, 01:27:25 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Josh Smith

for

Doesn't work.  We have a hard cap after signing Jason Terry.  Josh Smith makes $15 mil (once his trade kicker kicks in). 

You have to include Jeff Green and one of Lee or Bass to make a Smith trade work. As Atlanta is not likely all that interested in adding role players on long-term contracts (they just dumped a Jeff Green clone in Marvin Williams for salary relief), that means you'd need to find a 3rd team interested in acquiring Green and Bass or Lee for expiring contracts.  That shouldn't be too hard.  There are a lot of teams that might like Green - New Orleans has a big hole at the 3 spot, ditto Cleveland, Sacramento and Toronto. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Josh Smith

for

It is not very likely.

27 in December, my man.  27.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

Josh Smith

for

Doesn't work.  We have a hard cap after signing Jason Terry.  Josh Smith makes $15 mil (once his trade kicker kicks in). 

You have to include Jeff Green and one of Lee or Bass to make a Smith trade work. As Atlanta is not likely all that interested in adding role players on long-term contracts (they just dumped a Jeff Green clone in Marvin Williams for salary relief), that means you'd need to find a 3rd team interested in acquiring Green and Bass or Lee for expiring contracts.  That shouldn't be too hard.  There are a lot of teams that might like Green - New Orleans has a big hole at the 3 spot, ditto Cleveland, Sacramento and Toronto.
It worked on the trade checker. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2012, 02:25:19 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
This worked on trade checker as well: 3 teams TOR,ATL, BOS

Boston Receives Josh Smith

Toronto Recieves Jeff Green, Bass, ZaZa, BOS 1st

ATL Recieves Andrea Bargani, Toronto 1st round, Boston 2nd round (from thunder)

OR
----------------

Cavs-Bos-Atl

Atl receives: Anderson Varejo, Omri Casspi, Cavs 1st round, Bos 2nd rounder

Cle receives: Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, Jason collins, Bos 1st

Bos receives: J-Smooth

Does everyone benefit?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:53:42 PM by BostonNative »

« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Josh Smith

for

It worked on the trade checker.

The Trade Checker only validates that the particular trade meets the salary exchange rules.

As we've indicated - the trade works on an island by itself.  But in the context of the Celtic's total salary budget, it doesn't fit because it brings back too much extra salary which pushes us over the luxury tax threshold.   

I had forgot about JS' trade kicker (Thanks, snively!).  So instead of just 4.3M extra, it actually brings back 6.1M more salary!   That's just way too much unless we shed additional salary somehow.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.