Author Topic: Ferry: Unlikely Josh Smith offered extension during next season  (Read 16044 times)

Re: Ferry: Unlikely Josh Smith offered extension during next season
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2012, 04:49:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Amnestying Pierce does not open up his $15 million salary slot, it just clears him off the books. Clearing his salary off the books doesn't get the Celtics anywhere near enough cap space to sign Josh Smith. This is why trading for him during the season would be so important, that and the fact the Celtics wouldn't be able to sign and trade for Smith because they might be above the tax threshold which eliminates a team from doing sign and trade deals.

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
as josh smith is my fav player in the league right now, i just don't know how we would get him. I would not pay him  no 10+m a year. If he wants to play here so bad he should take around 7-8m a year..

With that beng said the only people I honestly don't care about is Bass, Jet, and Green...

Lol.  Is this a joke?  We saw Omar freaking Asik get 8 million a year this offseason.  I'd be shocked if Smith took a paycut and settled for 14 million a year.  7-8 million?  LOL that's a complete joke.  It's more likely he'll get at least twice that.

btw differnce is the team needed asik, smith needs the team.

Asik is garabge and lucked up on that contract and he was chasing the highest contract not a chance for a ring.

Smith not looking for the highest contract but for a chance to be on a winning team. Yes he will have the deilmea on choose between the 15m+ contract or A chance to join a contender only he knows which he will choose. If he was chasing money he will re-sign with the Hawks as they can offer the most.

BTW Smith plays for the hawks who make it to the playoffs every year and gets paid rather well, so the odds of him joining any team thats not Boston, Thunder, Heat, and Lakers is SLIM watch!

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2012, 06:29:31 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Sorry kiddies, but I'm ending the Smith speculation now.

Why would Atlanta trade an expiring contract for two longer contracts, not to mention two lesser players, in Bass and Green? For Bradley/Sullinger too? NO.

I agree with you on the Bass and Green part - ATL wants no part of Jeff Green at 4 years unless he has a borderline All-Star year for us this year, an if that happens we are winning the Finals and Green is staying put.

But if we threw in Bradley and Sully, Danny Ferry would be stupid not to do that.  That is basically the back core of our rotation this year, and we imagine ourselves as title contenders.  Why wouldn't you want those pieces on your team.

Further - if anything has been proven over the past few years, it is that saving cap space in the hope of landing a high-priced free agent is a foolish endeavor.  We call this "The NY/NJ Method of Guaranteed Mediocrity."  If Ferry has the ability to unload Smith for young talent and doesnt, and Smith walks, and Ferry can't bring in Chris Paul or some other super star with that cap space, he has lost.

I think Smith to Boston is greater than a small chance of happening.  Still not gonna happen, but never count out Mr. Ainge.

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2012, 06:33:50 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Why do people keep putting Lee's name in these deals... he took less money to sign here, he actually waited when all the money he could have gotten was being handed to other players. He wanted to be here, even though he is at pretty much prime money making age. I just don't see him going anywhere this season, I think that would send a bad message and harm our efforts to sign other FA in the future.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2012, 07:06:05 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

First, I'm fine if we have to loose Bass to get JSmoove but not Jeff Green or Bradley... I would think Bass + Lee...

Also, I'm thinking the other way is with Paul Pierce!
If Jsmoove really wanna play here then he wait until the end of the season and we either :
1) Amnesty pierce and sign Josh Smith and a back up SF (with good 3pt %) to play behind Green and ahead of Joseph.
I know this will be heartbreaking for many of us but will make us stronger I think...
2) Rework Pierce contract if possible..?? (Like they did few years ago... add a year or two on the length and reduce the amount to 5 mil/yr or so.. then we could get Smith for a little bit of a pay cut for him (around 10 - 11 mil)...

Any chances option 2 could work..??

No and no.

On (1) if we amnestied Pierce' contract, that would not get us enough cap room to sign Josh Smith as a free agent.  We are on the hook for over 70M next year.  Taking off Pierce' contract gets us down to ~54M - which is likely right around the cap.  But we also have to add on some required cap holds to fill out the roster (that 70M doesn't include options and re-signings of guys we only have signed through this year).  So that puts us back over the cap.

On (2) even if that magically could work you can't resign a player that you've amnestied for a year.

The best way to bring Smith here is to deal Bass & Lee plus maybe one of our rookies (i.e. Sully) and some draft picks.   That would be a broad package of young, talented players on cheap or manageable contracts that might be appealing to ATL (versus letting Smith walk).  Or, as nickagneta suggests, we have to do a 3-team deal.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2012, 07:14:48 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Why do people keep putting Lee's name in these deals... he took less money to sign here, he actually waited when all the money he could have gotten was being handed to other players. He wanted to be here, even though he is at pretty much prime money making age. I just don't see him going anywhere this season, I think that would send a bad message and harm our efforts to sign other FA in the future.

I include him because the money works.  Everything that made him an attractive signing to us, makes him an attractive trade piece.  This is not a knock on Lee.  I think Lee is a great acquisition by Danny and am excited to see him on the Celtics.

But once Bradley is healthy, keeping Lee is an awesome luxury.  I have no problem keeping him.  But you have to consider whether it is better to trade luxury.

And when you think about it, as a twosome, JSmith+Bradley is more impressive, imho, than Bass+Lee.   So I would move the latter two if needed to create the former.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2012, 10:37:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I think the TWO guys under the radar DA is gonna look closely at is  ...JEFF GREEN earning his paycheck and secondly is a injuried Bradley goona pop  back to his awesome self.  A failure for these guys probally means a trade for both sooner than later.

I have no attachment for Green as a Celtic as of yet, but I's really hate to see AB go ( he is nearly my fav C)   

If the C's somehow wind up NOT being the team we think they are gonna be  .... a see DA doing a deal for JSMITH to inject some new energy.

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2012, 11:03:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Bradley, Sully, Bass, and Green are the most likely trade chips (because of value) if we're still contending.

Pierce enters the fray if we fall on hard times (which means a season-ending injury to Rondo or KG).

For Smith, it would almost necessitate Green because of his salary.

Green and Bradley would seem like okay value I guess, but Atlanta already has a SG in a PGs body. Also, who knows where Atlanta values Bradley until he plays again at a level compperable to last season.

Frankly until the season starts to play out, you might as well throw darts at a board.

EDIT: Although if we sign a vet forward it could be a good indicator for Green's availability.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2012, 10:02:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
In every Josh Smith thread on here, I think I have proposed the following trade, which I believe is reasonable for both teams

Josh Smith

for

Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger, and Avery Bradley

I'd probably be willing to throw in a protected 1st if it was necessary.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
If Sullinger gets on the court and shows he can play. Then you could try offering only Bass and Sully.

I would prefer to keep Avery. His ceiling could be extremly high.

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2012, 10:08:14 AM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
In every Josh Smith thread on here, I think I have proposed the following trade, which I believe is reasonable for both teams

Josh Smith

for

No i would rather wait in that case. I would trade green instead of sullinger and bradley. If you trade bass anad sully who is smiths back up?

If you trade green who is pp's back up? (Kris joseph).

Plus they already have drafted their guards of the future. If they not taken bass+picks+green and maybe like millic or something then josh going to have to come over for cheap in FA.

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2012, 10:24:58 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Josh Smith

for

No i would rather wait in that case. I would trade green instead of sullinger and bradley. If you trade bass anad sully who is smiths back up?

If you trade green who is pp's back up? (Kris joseph).

Plus they already have drafted their guards of the future. If they not taken bass+picks+green and maybe like millic or something then josh going to have to come over for cheap in FA.
If you traded Bass and Sullinger, I would anticipate the big man rotation being something like this

C - KG 30, Wilcox 10, Collins 8
PF - Smith 38, Green 10

I could also see KG playing at PF with Wilcox or Collins a decent amount of the time as well i.e. when a smaller lineup doesn't work.

I am a Buckeye fan, so I love Sullinger, but the Celtics championship window is essentially this year and Smith is significantly better than Bass, Sullinger, and Bradley this year.  Also, frankly by keeping Smith down the line you have a great compliment with Rondo and he will extend the Celtics window a season or two past this year. 

Boston isn't winning the title this year as presently construed without a great deal of luck in the health department and everything going exactly right in the playoffs, but with Smith that luck can be a bit less and some things can go wrong in the playoffs and Boston could still win the title.  Talent matters and Smith will essentially be Boston second most talented player. 

Boston went into win now mode, thus you have to make that trade. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2012, 11:24:44 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Josh Smith

for

That's too much. Not giving up both prospects for Smith. I would do one of those guys along with Bass. I think (if we can) it would be wise to use that LLE - assuming the front office is serious about acquiring Smith mid-season - so we have a 1-2 year deal worth around 2 mill to make salaries match.

Bass, Lee, and Sully makes sense. Or Bass, Bradley, and some fillers w/ picks makes sense. Sully and Bradley for Smith is too much for me.

I don't see Atlanta taking Green unless he just comes out and really shows something. Yet, if that's the case why would we move him?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2012, 11:30:50 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Boston isn't winning the title this year as presently construed without a great deal of luck in the health department and everything going exactly right in the playoffs, but with Smith that luck can be a bit less and some things can go wrong in the playoffs and Boston could still win the title.  Talent matters and Smith will essentially be Boston second most talented player. 

Luck was a bit on our side last year, but health wasn't. We were tied in the fourth qtr of game 7 in the ECF. Our shots didn't fall and theres did. We are much more talented coming into this season then we were in the ECF.

I don't think Lebron can beat THIS team by himself like he pretty much did last year for most of the ECF. If LA is healthy then I think they win it all, but they're a very old team now and Howard is a big ? with his back.

Back to Miami. Bosh isn't going to average three 3s a game like he made in game 7. Playing full time Center will be hard on him as well. He will be asked to bang more then he ever has been. Wade another year older and with hopefully a healthy Bradley covering him will likely struggle in another 7 game series vs Boston.

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Bradley, Sully, Bass, and Green are the most likely trade chips (because of value) if we're still contending.

Pierce enters the fray if we fall on hard times (which means a season-ending injury to Rondo or KG).

For Smith, it would almost necessitate Green because of his salary.

Green and Bradley would seem like okay value I guess, but Atlanta already has a SG in a PGs body. Also, who knows where Atlanta values Bradley until he plays again at a level compperable to last season.

Frankly until the season starts to play out, you might as well throw darts at a board.

EDIT: Although if we sign a vet forward it could be a good indicator for Green's availability.

Seeing how most of our trade chips were signed this off-season, we have no choice bit to wait for the season to play out. No one is available for trade until about mid-season anyway  ;).