Author Topic: Ferry: Unlikely Josh Smith offered extension during next season  (Read 16082 times)

Re: Ferry: Unlikely Josh Smith offered extension during next season
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 06:58:47 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I would absolutely hate to give up G8, Bass, and AB (probably more or different package) for Smith... you guys want to decimate our team for one player (one position)! Why not let who we already have, get their turn... if any of those guys break out it might take less for Smith or we may keep what we have! I mean, if we want Smith, wait til it's ATL on pins and needles trying to send him out for SOMETHING/ANYTHING(see Orl taking garbage for Howard)!

I agree.  Ready to roll with the guys we have.  We don't need to sell the farm for a savior in Josh Smith.

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 06:59:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I WOULD NOT trade SULLY or FAB , they are the future.

I'd hate to trade Bass,  but I would trade Green in a heartbeat for Josh Smith.

J Smith  is like KG, I think he was meant to be in Green since day one.

I wouldn't be surprized to se Smith a Celtic sooner than later

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:22:04 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 07:12:22 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
just tought this was interesting. Its a bit old but still interesting.

Wouldn't it be nice if a young, all-star caliber player who was athletic, blocked shots and rebounded wanted desperately to play for the Celtics? For all the talk about the Celtics not being attractive to young stars like Dwight Howard, Chris Paul and Deron Williams, there's a 26 year old in Atlanta who's been flirting with Boston for a solid year now. Part of the reason is Rajon Rondo. Josh Smith and Rondo were high school teammates and have continued to be best friends in the NBA. During the prolonged Summer of 2011, where one was you could find the other. When Rondo confronted a cameraman after Game 5, he was spending time with his family AND Josh Smith's. Josh Smith's wife was introduced to him by none other than Rondo.

Last Summer Smith said he wanted to play for the Celtics. The Hawks reportedly had interest in Ray Allen. Allegedly Danny Ainge's interest was only lukewarm in the high flying forward. Smith proceeded to have a great season this year and after being taken down by the Celtics in 6 games had this to say about Boston

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 08:45:47 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
We know Smith wants to win and that he'd love to play with Rondo in Boston. The real question is what would it take to get him here? and is it worth it short term and long? IMO, the way this team is set up we can handle giving up Bass, Bradley and a rookie. However, the risk is Bradley and Sullinger could end up being two very high level players probably not as good as Smith but not to far off.

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
People here forget that role players don't win championships...stars win championships, and role players provide support.

It's Rondo, Pierce and KG who have led us to our playoff success over the last few years...guys like Perkins, Bass, Mate, Big Baby etc have helped by supporting those guys.

Pierce and KG have 3 years at most left in the league as elite players.  When those guys are done and dusted, our current team leaves us with Rondo and a team full of role players.

I see Fab Melo becoming a Tyson Chandler, I see Sullinger becoming a young Troy Murphy, I see Lee, Bass and Terry already at or near their ceiling.

Tyson Chandler wouldn't have a ring without Dirk, Kidd and Terry.

The only guys beyond Rondo with chance of becoming a star are Green and Bradley, but that's far from certain.

We need a young player who has the ability to dominate, and Smith had the potential to.be that guy.  You're talking about a guy who is practically a certain all-star this season.  A guys who is competent at every part of the game.  He can play SF, PF or C at a squeeze, he has a decent outside shot (which is improving), he's an elite athlete, an elite defender, and close to a double figure rebounder.  He's also one of the best passing bigs in the league.  He's a guy who, on any given night, can explode for a 30 point, 16 rebound, 12 assist triple double and add 4 blocks and a couple of steals to go with it.

There is really no other player in the league beyond Rondo, LeBron, Chris Paul who is as mych of a triple double threat as Smith threatens to be going forward.

A combination of Rondo and Smith immediately gives us two future elite players (and all starts) going forward as we go beyond the big 3 era.  If we can keep either Bradley or Green and combine them with Smith our future is set - we can put and decent role players around those three guys and be a certain playoff team for the next 6 years.

The chance of picking up a superstar or all star in the draft is slim - even with a top 5 pick you could just a likely to end up with a Darko.Milicic or Michael Olowokandi as you are a Dwayne Wade or Carmello Anthony.  With Smith you already know what you're getting - id

Offering Bass, Lee, Sullinger and any number of picks would be a no brainer for me if it nets us Smith.

Imagine a starting lineup of Rondo, Bradley, Green, Smith and Melo two years from now!  It would be one of the most athletic teams in the league, with a great balance between offemse and defense.

Also people are always talking about how much better Rondo made Perkins and Stiemsma...just imagine how much better Rondo could make Josh Smith, with all of those easy lookr inside and from midrange?  Smith's ability to score inside, shoot from midrange and score off the dribble gives him the potential to be a 20PPG - 25PPG guy with Rondo delivering him the ball.  Smith has NEVER played on a team with a top tier playmaker...he's forced to initiate much of his own offence for that reason, which leads to his iffy (at times) shot selection and turnovers.  Let Rondo set him up and his efficiency will go through the roof.

Would I give up role players with minimal ceiling for a future all star?  HELL YES!

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 08:53:43 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
People here forget that role players don't win championships...stars win championships, and role players provide support.

It's Rondo, Pierce and KG who have led us to our playoff success over the last few years...guys like Perkins, Bass, Mate, Big Baby etc have helped by supporting those guys.

Pierce and KG have 3 years at most left in the league as elite players.  When those guys are done and dusted, our current team leaves us with Rondo and a team full of role players.

I see Fab Melo becoming a Tyson Chandler, I see Sullinger becoming a young Troy Murphy, I see Lee, Bass and Terry already at or near their ceiling.

Tyson Chandler wouldn't have a ring without Dirk, Kidd and Terry.

The only guys beyond Rondo with chance of becoming a star are Green and Bradley, but that's far from certain.

We need a young player who has the ability to dominate, and Smith had the potential to.be that guy.  You're talking about a guy who is practically a certain all-star this season.  A guys who is competent at every part of the game.  He can play SF, PF or C at a squeeze, he has a decent outside shot (which is improving), he's an elite athlete, an elite defender, and close to a double figure rebounder.  He's also one of the best passing bigs in the league.  He's a guy who, on any given night, can explode for a 30 point, 16 rebound, 12 assist triple double and add 4 blocks and a couple of steals to go with it.

There is really no other player in the league beyond Rondo, LeBron, Chris Paul who is as mych of a triple double threat as Smith threatens to be going forward.

A combination of Rondo and Smith immediately gives us two future elite players (and all starts) going forward as we go beyond the big 3 era.  If we can keep either Bradley or Green and combine them with Smith our future is set - we can put and decent role players around those three guys and be a certain playoff team for the next 6 years.

The chance of picking up a superstar or all star in the draft is slim - even with a top 5 pick you could just a likely to end up with a Darko.Milicic or Michael Olowokandi as you are a Dwayne Wade or Carmello Anthony.  With Smith you already know what you're getting - i'd take certainty over risky picks any day.

Offering Bass, Lee, Sullinger and any number of picks would be a no brainer for me if it nets us Smith.

Imagine a starting lineup of Rondo, Bradley, Green, Smith and Melo two years from now!  It would be one of the most athletic teams in the league, with a great balance between offemse and defense.

Also people are always talking about how much better Rondo made Perkins and Stiemsma...just imagine how much better Rondo could make Josh Smith, with all of those easy lookr inside and from midrange?  Smith's ability to score inside, shoot from midrange and score off the dribble gives him the potential to be a 20PPG - 25PPG guy with Rondo delivering him the ball.  Smith has NEVER played on a team with a top tier playmaker...he's forced to initiate much of his own offence for that reason, which leads to his iffy (at times) shot selection and turnovers.  Let Rondo set him up and his efficiency will go through the roof.

Would I give up role players with minimal ceiling for a future all star?  HELL YES!

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 09:35:40 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
as josh smith is my fav player in the league right now, i just don't know how we would get him. I would not pay him  no 10+m a year. If he wants to play here so bad he should take around 7-8m a year..

With that beng said the only people I honestly don't care about is Bass, Jet, and Green...

Lol.  Is this a joke?  We saw Omar freaking Asik get 8 million a year this offseason.  I'd be shocked if Smith took a paycut and settled for 14 million a year.  7-8 million?  LOL that's a complete joke.  It's more likely he'll get at least twice that.

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 01:53:22 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I agree with those who have pointed out that we are not going to bring Smith here by way of free agency.

I doubt it happens but the only way he comes is via trade.   Some have proposed Bass & Green but that's too much.  You don't need to send that much salary - you only need to get a little above 10M and then you make it attractive with youth.

Bass(6M)+Lee(5M) gets you to 11M.  From there you can already take back JSmith's 13.6M salary because that is within 150%.

You pad that with draft picks and if necessary, maybe Sully.  I'd try to do it without sending Sully.  But technically he would have less value to us if we had Smith.

Why does Atlanta do that?  Bass and Lee are both young and have modest contracts that don't hamper them.   The draft picks would give them more young talent or can be traded.   If they get Sully, that replaces Smith with a young PF with a lot of potential, on rookie money.  Plus they'd get a lot of young pieces instead of nothing by letting Smith walk.

Why does Boston do that?  That's a no-brainer.  As much as I like Sully, Bass & Lee - a starting lineup of KG, JSmith, PP, AB & RR looks just killer.  And after KG & PP retire, you are looking at Fab, JS, JG, AB & RR as some extremely talented young pieces at every position.  That could be a fantastic team for several years, with the right additional pieces added.

Earliest this could happen would be mid December, I believe.  Long enough for Lee & Bass to establish value and for Avery to get healthy.

It would benefit both teams.  But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.  It sounds too perfect of a deal.   So it probably won't happen.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2012, 09:08:29 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
It's my belief that the entire reason Danny went after Courtney Lee this off season is so we could move Bradley+Bass for Josh Smith.
Bradley is awesome but he is too small and too lacking offensive fire power to take us to banner 18 as the starting shooting guard. You need a superstar shooting guard in my opinion and I just can't see him becoming as potent on offense as we'd need him to be.
Bass is okay but he's really a great 6th man while we have no one else.

I think that Danny envisions something like:

PG Rondo
SG Harden or All Star level free agent SG
SF Jeff Green
PF Josh Smith
C Kevin Garnett

Maybe with Pierce and Terry coming off the bench in their latter years.
It's the perfect recipe to foil the Heat with speed+size+defensive fire power. We have go to scorers on the bench and solid offense in the starting unit, with our shooting guard being the key.
Just the way I see things.
Doesn't really make too much sense for Danny to go and get Lee just because Avery is injured for a few months.
I think our young asset is gone and so is Bass + one rookie.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If we have KG/Josh Smith/Rondo we aren't signing any high level free agents. Their salaries alone will keep us from making FA moves.

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2012, 09:54:50 AM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
If we have KG/Josh Smith/Rondo we aren't signing any high level free agents. Their salaries alone will keep us from making FA moves.
pp/KG/ rondo's salaries alone stops us form signing any impact free agents...

Honestly with

Rondo/Jet
AB/Lee
PP/Joseph
Smith/Sully
Garnett/Fab

I m fine with that roster till the wheels fall off..
I would love to have some flashy players or athletic players in boston. I want to see someone get me out my seat for a dunk this year!

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2012, 11:44:09 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
It's my belief that the entire reason Danny went after Courtney Lee this off season is so we could move Bradley+Bass for Josh Smith.

You make some good points, but you need to consider that Bradley+Bass just isn't enough salary to be able to trade for Smith.  You have to pad it with at least 3-4M more.

Lee + Bass, however, is enough by itself to do the deal.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The only way I see a trade with Atlanta going down is if it is a three way.

Something like

Boston sends Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, and 2 first round picks and $3 million
Boston receives Josh Smith

Atlanta sends Josh Smith
Atlanta receives Corey Maggette, Jason Maxiell and 2 first rounders

Detroit sends Corey Maggette and Jason Maxiell
Detroit receives Jeff Green, Brandon Bass and $3 million

Now I am not saying this exact trade, just something like it where Atlanta gets some other teams expiring contracts and a couple first rounders, the other team gets Bass and Green to add to a young building base of players and some cash for helping the C's out and Boston gets Smith who then will agree to an extension.

Only way I see it going down.

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2012, 04:18:32 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37

Something like

Atlanta sends Josh Smith

Now I am not saying this exact trade, just something like it where Atlanta gets some other teams expiring contracts and a couple first rounders, the other team gets Bass and Green to add to a young building base of players and some cash for helping the C's out and Boston gets Smith who then will agree to an extension.

First, I'm fine if we have to loose Bass to get JSmoove but not Jeff Green or Bradley... I would think Bass + Lee...

Also, I'm thinking the other way is with Paul Pierce!
If Jsmoove really wanna play here then he wait until the end of the season and we either :
1) Amnesty pierce and sign Josh Smith and a back up SF (with good 3pt %) to play behind Green and ahead of Joseph.
I know this will be heartbreaking for many of us but will make us stronger I think...
2) Rework Pierce contract if possible..?? (Like they did few years ago... add a year or two on the length and reduce the amount to 5 mil/yr or so.. then we could get Smith for a little bit of a pay cut for him (around 10 - 11 mil)...

Any chances option 2 could work..??

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2012, 04:34:34 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White

Something like

Atlanta sends Josh Smith

First, I'm fine if we have to loose Bass to get JSmoove but not Jeff Green or Bradley... I would think Bass + Lee...

Also, I'm thinking the other way is with Paul Pierce!
If Jsmoove really wanna play here then he wait until the end of the season and we either :
1) Amnesty pierce and sign Josh Smith and a back up SF (with good 3pt %) to play behind Green and ahead of Joseph.
I know this will be heartbreaking for many of us but will make us stronger I think...
2) Rework Pierce contract if possible..?? (Like they did few years ago... add a year or two on the length and reduce the amount to 5 mil/yr or so.. then we could get Smith for a little bit of a pay cut for him (around 10 - 11 mil)...

Any chances option 2 could work..??
Can't amesty and re-sign player same year. And i like kris joseph over green lol

EDIT:Sorry didn't realize that is 2 different scenarios (what i get for skimming)

But Like i said I could careless bout Green I rather PP<Joseph and not push jospeh back year after year.