Author Topic: Ferry: Unlikely Josh Smith offered extension during next season  (Read 16069 times)

Ferry: Unlikely Josh Smith offered extension during next season
« on: September 26, 2012, 12:48:46 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Ferry Deems New Contract For Josh Smith Unlikely During Season
Sep 26, 2012 9:34 AM EDT

Josh Smith is entering the final year of his contract with the Hawks but it is “unlikely” that he will be re-signed before the end of the upcoming season.

“I’ve been clear that I value Josh as a player,” Hawks general manager Danny Ferry said. “He has worked hard this summer and I believe he is going to have great season. I’ve been in contact with his representatives. Josh and his representatives have been clear that he is excited about the direction of the team and wants to be part of the future in Atlanta. That being said, I don’t expect the contract situation to be resolved until next summer.”

After the 2012-13 season, Smith will be eligible for a five-year extension worth about $120 million.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/223680/Ferry_Deems_New_Contract_For_Josh_Smith_Unlikely_During_Season#ixzz27awqUS8S

I seriousely doubt Atlanta Will offer Josh Smith 120 million, after just trading Joe Johnson.

Josh Smith Will also probably ask to get the max, as all players do. But the Hawks won't offer that Much money i'm almost certain.

I just feel like he Should be a Celtic on January 15th.

Re: Ferry: Unlikely Josh Smith offered extension during next season
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 12:53:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Yeah, I think this will be a bit of a mutual decision to wait it out.  That team is in such a transition right now, that it doesn't make sense for them to commit to paying Smith, and it doesn't make sense for Smith to commit to them yet.

I think what happens on the free agent market next summer (in particular with Chris Paul), will dictate what happens with Smith.  If they get Paul (or someone like that), then I think they will keep Smith.  If they strike out on him, I think they could let Smith walk and try to basically rebuild...or at least restructure their roster.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 01:08:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I would think around $15 million a year for Josh Smith. Maybe more on a four year deal (for a team signing him away from Atlanta). Say $17-18 million per annum.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Let the Josh to Boston speculation begin ;D

Rondo put together a flag football game at UCLA that included referees. Rondo said the only Celtics that didn't play were Pierce and 7-foot, 255-pound rookie Fab Melo "because he might hurt somebody." Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith, a close friend of Rondo's, also played.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 01:54:21 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Rondo put together a flag football game at UCLA that included referees. Rondo said the only Celtics that didn't play were Pierce and 7-foot, 255-pound rookie Fab Melo "because he might hurt somebody." Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith, a close friend of Rondo's, also played.

who do we have to give up to get J.Smoove? I  like Smith but definitely not for full contract nor do i want to give up Jeff Green. Maybe Bass

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 01:56:34 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
as josh smith is my fav player in the league right now, i just don't know how we would get him. I would not pay him  no 10+m a year. If he wants to play here so bad he should take around 7-8m a year..

With that beng said the only people I honestly don't care about is Bass, Jet, and Green...

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 01:57:54 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
If Jeff Green doesnt work out...
Se you Jeff! Hello Josh!
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 02:00:30 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

who do we have to give up to get J.Smoove? I  like Smith but definitely not for full contract nor do i want to give up Jeff Green. Maybe Bass

Bass,Lee,Melo,Christmas and Joseph.

Christmas guaranteed 50% of minimum salary,Joseph fully non guaranteed.

That and Smith's trade kicker puts us 1886 dollars over the hard cap.

KG must make a little less, Maybe around 11,3 million because we need to have 12 players I think, be able to sign someone for prorated amount of the vet minimum, roughly 230 k. Hopefully KG is making less money than reported.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 02:07:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
as josh smith is my fav player in the league right now, i just don't know how we would get him.
Can't sign him, got to trade for him. Also, he's not going anywhere for less than $10 million per.

On the other hand, Jeff Green + Bass for Smith is an intriguig option after January 15.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

If Pierce decides to retire and is feeling magnanimous, he could be sent with draft picks/young players in the off-season.  I would rather Pierce not retire, because he's been my favorite player for a decade, but his salary works nicely, especially for an extend-and-trade after the season (since then the Hawks could reduce his next-year salary to $5 million and thus clear more cap room.)  But it would be a viable option, as opposed to trading Green or Bass (because seriously, if they're not good enough for us, why would they be good contracts for an Atlanta team shedding it's long-term commitments?)

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 02:09:27 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
screw it package jeff green and bass for smooth. Even stats show smith is better then both of them.

Rondo>terry>xmas

Bradely>Lee>

PP>Joseph

Smith>Sully

Garnett>Darko>Melo
----------------------------------
See any holes? I don't!

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 02:09:41 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Smith is not a max player.  He is closer to the 10-12 million year.  (though I wouldn't be surprised to see some team over pay him)

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 02:13:09 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
Smith is not a max player.  He is closer to the 10-12 million year.  (though I wouldn't be surprised to see some team over pay him)
I agree with that but I KNOW FOR A FACT

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 02:14:26 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
I agree with that but I KNOW FOR A FACT money is not what he is concerned about at this point. No contender will pay him Max because no contender can afford to pay him max. I bet he is willing to lower his price tag to here US CELTICS FANS cheer his name rather he wins or loses.

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 03:02:01 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

I agree.  However, I'd consider trading for him even if he's demanding the max for two reasons:

1) If he can help us win a title this year, even if he were to walk next summer, it'd be worth it. 

2) If Ainge is able to get him without giving up a king's ransom (meaning, giving only some, not all, of our good young players), it might be OK to give him a max deal.  He wouldn't be "worth" it, but if Ainge was still able to add to a core of Smith, Rondo, and whatever is left of the young guys down the road, it's really just a matter of principal more than anything else.