Author Topic: Discussion of CelticsBlog Upgrades  (Read 61670 times)

Re: Discussion of CelticsBlog Upgrades
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2012, 10:26:19 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
Roy you are smarter then that. wave of the future = money

you dont change something that's working well unless there is a tangible benefit in it.

« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2012, 10:35:37 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The new look is awesome. Has a clean look and a smooth flow I appreciate.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2012, 10:49:30 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I've tried so far keeping coming back and see if I get a feel, and to be honest I keep getting turned off. Just the fact that I would come to this site for two reasons. One, to get news and two for the forums. Now I had noticed that basically all the same scroll down news I could have from this site is also available on ESPN Boston under the Celtics section, but I have been a member since my college days (almost 10 yrs) and it would be essentially the same thing. Unfortunately, I think I may have to change my ways. I will still come to this site for the forums, which I am very glad it hasnt changed. However, I think I'll just go to ESPN Boston for the news since I won't have to click at every single article to see what is going on.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2012, 11:14:35 PM »

Offline Tgro

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • It's all about the TEAM!
My impression of the new design is SB Nation seems more interested in me visiting other parts of SB Nation rather than visiting Celtics Blog. My opening screen has almost 1/2 the page dedicated to me LEAVING Celtics Blog! It doesn't seem to try and make visitors interested in staying!

I have to scroll down a couple of full mouse scrolls before I finally "start" to get the impression we are actually beginning to visit Celtic's Blog. But gone is that "at home" feeling. It used to be I would come to the front page and look forward to that "Top Headline" and well worded opening segment. Once you read the "tease" paragraph, you could click to read more, or go about your business and visit the forum.

Getting to the forum is now a full 4 mouse scrolls down the page on a floating link island that seems unintuitive. I was so used to everything I wanted being on the right side for getting to forum topics, and the left was left for front page topics which was well titled, photographed and introduced. I had a real sense that the forum moderators were actively "working" on the front page. Sorry, but now I can't even tell you guys still work here! It almost feels like you guys got fired and replaced by NFL Scrub Referees. That's okay, we'll get used to it. Until a game depends on it or we lose valuable readership that is.

Can't say I'm a fan. It does have a sloppy feel to it. The layout just doesn't promote that you've entered that magic fan friendly kingdom known as Celtics Blog. Instead, it feels like I've entered SB Nation....and oh yeah...if we can't convince you to visit the rest of SB Nation, then scroll down and figure out a reason why you'd want to stay at Celtic's Blog. (But behind your back, we think you're a loser for not visiting the rest of SB Nation).   
The Celtics aren't quitters. Why should you be? - blind homer

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2012, 11:36:36 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2012, 11:44:04 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Don't like it for several reasons, the main one being it does not feel like I am coming to the special place anymore that used to be Celtics Blog. Feels like just another generic website with a lot of pretty graphics and way too much information coming at me from all angles.

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2012, 01:22:08 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Looks like I am going start using my stand-alone RSS reader more often.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2012, 02:36:03 AM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
Don't like it for several reasons, the main one being it does not feel like I am coming to the special place anymore that used to be Celtics Blog. Feels like just another generic website with a lot of pretty graphics and way too much information coming at me from all angles.

I somewhat agree. The more I go on, the more I miss the old style; and it hasn't even been a day.

All I can say is Red Auerbach would not appreciate the shininess. The Celtics are not a glitz and glamor team, and the blog should represent the team. They get straight down to bidness, with limited shine.

But to be clear, I'll get used to it within a week.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2012, 07:30:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No one likes change.   I like the old style too but this is a well managed board and if they think it best then I trust their judgement.  Maybe it brings in revenue and advertising the new way that supports the board.

« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2012, 08:34:22 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
5. Those of us who come here mostly for the forums will just bookmark those, but will end up missing out on some of the front page content.

Pretty much this.  I'm just going to add the main forum page to my favorites, and probably skip the front page entirely going forward.  I come here mostly to read/post on the forums, but will read the front page items for news or if something stands out.  The problem is that nothing stands out under the new format...it seems bland and disorganized.  There's no rhyme or reason to the layout, in my opinion.

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The "magazine" style blog seems to be the wave of the future; look at Red's Army, for instance.
I'm sorry, Roy, but Red's Army layout is nothing like the ham-fisted "update" of the SBN look we just witnessed. It's nice, clean, compact, no space wasted, good balance of  text and art.

It's better to have something that's not necessarily cutting-edge, but is functional, rather than follow the new wave, but fail to deliver.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2012, 09:34:29 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I've read through most of the comments here and I truly appreciate the feedback - positive or otherwise.  I'll address some concerns as best I can.

Regarding the layout - it is absolutely a preference thing - some folks like the magazine layout and some prefer the old school blog format.

I completely disagree with the comments that this version is unorganized or sloppy or whatever.  This project was thoroughly researched, tested, designed, and professionally implemented with amazing quality control.  I'm extremely impressed with the seamless conversion and the quality of SBN's work.

Speaking of SBN, they are in fact a company looking to make money.  Shocking, I know.  But to attain that goal, they need to please their customers - ie you.  They didn't make this change cavalierly.  This is a company of bloggers who do blogging all day long and they get the sports blogging community.  They know their customers and they better - because traffic = ad revenue.  They wouldn't mess with a model if they weren't very confident that this was the right direction to take the community.

It will take some getting used to.  I will tell you honestly that the first few times I looked at "the cover" at the top of the page, I didn't like it at all.  However, the more I worked with it and got accustomed to it, the more I started liking it.  Now I love it and I love the way it looks and draws the eye.

It is designed to be more mobile friendly and I'm fully on board with that as well.  We're becoming more mobile as a society and accessibility is key.

With all of that said, I'm fully aware that some of you will never get used to it and will always dislike the format.  For that I'm truly sorry and I don't know what to tell you other than to promise that I'll keep trying to improve my writing and I'll keep trying to manage the blog to the best of my ability so that you will continue to come to the blog in spite of the format you may not like.

I thank you all for being part of this community and for your continued support.

Last note: If you want to report any bugs or make suggestions or even give feedback, feel free to email support@sbnation.com - though I would encourage you to read the FAQ's here first:

http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/9/24/3394219/welcome-to-sb-nation-united

thanks again everyone
your humble blogger
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:10:43 AM by Jeff »
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2012, 09:45:59 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Did we lose the chat?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2012, 09:47:56 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Did we lose the chat?

It is under "Library"

There is a technical reason for that right now.   

« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2012, 10:01:38 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
yes, I contacted support to see if we can move the link under community to make more sense

I also added fanshots to the front page directing people with links to these sections - hope that helps some
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)