Author Topic: Discussion of CelticsBlog Upgrades  (Read 62788 times)

Re: Discussion of CelticsBlog Upgrades
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2012, 12:45:52 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Next update is going to have to have an area where everyday a video post will be available, whether it be Jeff Touting or a Celtic related Youtube or a rehash of the previous games highlights or possible press conference vids. I would love that!

we do have some initial plans to roll out more videos, though I'm not sure how much of my ugly mug you'll be exposed to - talk about design flaws! LOL
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2012, 12:47:46 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
another comment - there is obviously some getting used to for you all

but I'll add that there is an adjustment for us as well - I have been handed the keys to a new sportscar, it doesn't work exactly like the sedan I had before but when I figure it all out, hopefully we'll all be happier
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Next update is going to have to have an area where everyday a video post will be available, whether it be Jeff Touting or a Celtic related Youtube or a rehash of the previous games highlights or possible press conference vids. I would love that!

we do have some initial plans to roll out more videos, though I'm not sure how much of my ugly mug you'll be exposed to - talk about design flaws! LOL
Jeff, if ESPN can roll out John Clayton every day to comment on the NFL and not fear scaring off viewers under the age of 18 who might think him a decaying cadaver, I think Celticsblog members will have no problem seeing you on video. ;) :D

« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2012, 01:09:24 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

but I'll add that there is an adjustment for us as well - I have been handed the keys to a new sportscar, it doesn't work exactly like the sedan I had before but when I figure it all out, hopefully we'll all be happier
here's hoping for happier results.  finding it growing more cumbersome with time.  in particular, the front page is abysmally slow when accessing the site from work.  it's not very responsive from home either but this is to the point of discouraging me from coming here. 

At least the forums are still as responsive as before (although a lot of nice features were wiped out in that last upgrade).

« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2012, 01:14:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
At least the forums are still as responsive as before (although a lot of nice features were wiped out in that last upgrade).

Once the dust settles from the "United" rollout, I'll get back to pestering support about the forums.  Which "nice features" are you referring to?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2012, 01:14:59 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Once the dust settles from the "United" rollout, I'll get back to pestering support about the forums.  Which "nice features" are you referring to?

One thing that bugs me is that it doesnt autocomplete on peoples user names when trying to send PM's anymore
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Just an fyi, the site is absolutely brutal on an ipad, it's pretty much completely unusable.  :'(

« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Just an fyi, the site is absolutely brutal on an ipad, it's pretty much completely unusable.  :'(

By "unusable", what do you mean?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2012, 03:15:18 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

It just has one giant picture on the screen when you open the site, it's the way the site formats itself. Also the whole thing loads very very slow, and often locks up when trying to scroll.

« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

One thing that bugs me is that it doesnt autocomplete on peoples user names when trying to send PM's anymore
that (which is frustrating)
and
no more 'go up' or 'go down' on the forum pages. 
no more short message option for a reply.
no more forum 'path' at the bottom of the page to simplify navigating between forum categories.

« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2012, 04:00:52 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

that (which is frustrating)
and
no more 'go up' or 'go down' on the forum pages. 
no more short message option for a reply.
no more forum 'path' at the bottom of the page to simplify navigating between forum categories.

I don't think I ever used any of those, and I can't remember what the "go up" or "path" options looked like.  However, I'll pass it along to support.

« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2012, 04:07:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

It just has one giant picture on the screen when you open the site, it's the way the site formats itself. Also the whole thing loads very very slow, and often locks up when trying to scroll.
that's very frustrating too.

« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2012, 04:34:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think I'm fine with the design now.  The only thing that'd weird is the obnoxiously large images up top.  It doesn't seem necessary at all for those to be that big.  I guesstimated that it was done like that so that when you load it on an ipad, it will take up the entire screen.   I don't own an ipad... but I used an ipad simulator and noticed that is indeed the case... you load up the site and it's just that "featured" article taking up the entire page.  Again... trying very hard to be a magazine.

« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Just logged on using firefox for the first time.  You guys really got to get the internet explorer thing figured out.  it looks so much better in firefox
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2012, 11:39:54 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

here's hoping for happier results.  finding it growing more cumbersome with time.  in particular, the front page is abysmally slow when accessing the site from work.  it's not very responsive from home either but this is to the point of discouraging me from coming here. 

That's pretty much how I feel as well. The front page is really slow to load and more importantly, I don't understand the logic of the layout.  It is not intuitive as with the previous format.  I also am not coming here as often since the changeover which is something for the mods here to really worry about. I access the site on an iPad which apparently others have also noticed isn't optimal.  I'm glad the forums are pretty much the same.