17 (28.8%)
Bibby
5 (8.5%)
Flynn
27 (45.8%)
Arroyo
10 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Cs looking for bench point guard  (Read 28556 times)

Re: Cs looking for bench point guard
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2012, 10:33:23 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
One option, and maybe our best one, could be starting Green over Pierce. Green is much more dependent on getting shots through Rondo than Pierce. This would allow us to keep Pierce's minutes down. Pierce is also a much better facilitator than Green and would keep Terry off the ball. I envision a Terry/Pierce high pick and pop, where Terry screens for Pierce as House use to, being particularly hard to step. This is also something that was alluded to in the past by AInge.

Ainge in a WEEI interview last summer, before Green was diagnosed was the heart abnormality:

"Maybe there’s a change of roles. Maybe Paul comes off the bench, cuts down on his minutes. Maybe we find a way to get Jeff more minutes. His role will expand if he’s back here next year. There’s no question about that ... "

"It wouldn’t totally shock me if there’s a change in the starting lineup, but that’s just way too tough to tell."

Pierce come off the bench?  I would like to have what you're smoking, my friend.  No.  Just...NO.

Here's another proof that ppl overrates Jeff Green a lot.  The guy hasn't done anything in green.  I hope he lives up all these hype and the huge money Danny have coming his way.  Until then, let's just wait and see please...

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2012, 12:43:48 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
One option, and maybe our best one, could be starting Green over Pierce. Green is much more dependent on getting shots through Rondo than Pierce. This would allow us to keep Pierce's minutes down. Pierce is also a much better facilitator than Green and would keep Terry off the ball. I envision a Terry/Pierce high pick and pop, where Terry screens for Pierce as House use to, being particularly hard to step. This is also something that was alluded to in the past by AInge.

Ainge in a WEEI interview last summer, before Green was diagnosed was the heart abnormality:

"Maybe there’s a change of roles. Maybe Paul comes off the bench, cuts down on his minutes. Maybe we find a way to get Jeff more minutes. His role will expand if he’s back here next year. There’s no question about that ... "

"It wouldn’t totally shock me if there’s a change in the starting lineup, but that’s just way too tough to tell."

Pierce come off the bench?  I would like to have what you're smoking, my friend.  No.  Just...NO.

Here's another proof that ppl overrates Jeff Green a lot.  The guy hasn't done anything in green.  I hope he lives up all these hype and the huge money Danny have coming his way.  Until then, let's just wait and see please...

Why so opposed to it? I know his name is "Pierce", but he will 35 next month.

What if I told you last summer that Bradley should start for Allen? Would you have reacted similarly?

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2012, 01:35:09 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I know i would take a lots of heat, but my favorite bench point guard would be...
Not Fisher, not Bibby, not Arroyo, not T-Mac, sure as hell not Iverson but...

Stephon Marbury:

-he was in Boston. Some of the folks here thinks we was bad, but he was very late addition, tried to hard to be unselffish, won us a game against Orlando, and if KG and Powe were healthy Steph would be a backup point guard for World Champions
-unlike Iverson or T-Mac, whose bodies are shut down, he's pretty healthy. He played last year and was champions and finals MVP in China. I know its not the best league of the world, but some people says he's more humble and mature now
-i would love to see just one alley-up Steph to KG...last time they didnt play any game together
-i know its not a perfect solution, just seems better then others guys mentioned

Remember when he lashed out at Pierce on twitter after he played here?

Not only that but Marbury said in an interview that he almost went crazy playing a bench role for the C's.

I think at this point Starbury wants to be some place where he'll not only start but receive a lot of fame and glory. China did that for him last year, the NBA will not at this point.

Don't count on the C's being interested.

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Why so opposed to it? I know his name is "Pierce", but he will 35 next month.

What if I told you last summer that Bradley should start for Allen? Would you have reacted similarly?

I'm not really against it like you seem to think.  I'm saying let's wait and see what this guy brings to the table before swapping him with Pierce.  Jeff hasn't done anything.  If he end up fitting our starting line-up better and end up proving himself like Avery did, I'm all for the move.  Danny must see something in this guy before giving him that kind of money and I hope he lives up to all of it.  Until then, I'm not ready to swap him for a proven HOF vet who happens to be our captain

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2012, 07:30:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The Boston Globe is reporting that the Celtics may pursue Derek Fisher
"It’s late September and Derek Fisher remains a free agent. Fisher wants to return for a 17th season, but the demand may not be there. He could be a consideration for the Celtics, given his leadership capabilities and positive influence last season during Oklahoma City’s run to the Finals."
(via Boston Globe)

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2012, 10:08:13 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
With Fisher+Pietrus, Cs are the candidate nr1@ East Conference

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2012, 05:41:09 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think we should make a play to steal Sebastian Telfair from the Suns. He's a defensive minded guard with a good handle and he's cheap at 1.5M. We could afford him with our current resources but it would probably take a 2nd rounder to get him without giving up our rookies. Phoenix has Dragic and Marshall at the point and 3 guys stacked up at the SG slot so there wouldn't be a lot of room for Telfair if Marshall started strong playing 2nd string.

If not Telfair then I've always been a big Derek Fisher fan. Despite having been a Laker he's an extremely solid player. He knows how to fit into a role and be successful. He's also in my top 10 clutch shooters of all time. Ideally I'd like to get Fisher a ring against Kobe :) I do think we'll need a guard through December who doesn't mind getting reduced minutes after Christmas. That screams veteran and Fisher fits the bill on the cheap.

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2012, 07:43:24 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 700
  • MASTER OF PANIC
pass on fisher

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2012, 09:17:44 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Any chance of acquiring Jordan Farmar (buy him out from Europe) or even Jon Scheyer as back up PG?

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2012, 10:28:11 AM »

Offline rmitchell222003

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Get in touch with Anthony Parker. Get him out of retirement. he can play the 1 and 2, and is a great defender...

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2012, 10:37:42 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If these are the options we have to go with Fisher. He would be great giving us 8 to 10 experienced minutes per game. He can come in and hit big shots and be huge for us in the locker room.  Flynn hasn't proven anything to be able to step in as a veteran in the playoffs for me.

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2012, 10:51:21 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
if that's the options, they suck.  Fisher looks to be the best of that bunch but he can't guard a chair at this point and most importantly, he was the scummiest Laker not named Kobe in the past 5 years.

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2012, 10:53:20 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If these are the options we have to go with Fisher. He would be great giving us 8 to 10 experienced minutes per game. He can come in and hit big shots and be huge for us in the locker room.  Flynn hasn't proven anything to be able to step in as a veteran in the playoffs for me.

I'll be honest...I think if any of these guys have to step in for anything more than mop-up time in the playoffs, we are in big trouble.

I look at this spot as the regular season insurance policy.  They can look for a more reliable veteran at the deadline (and just cut Joseph, or whoever they sign now, if they need).

Based on these options, I am leaning towards Flynn.  I hate his game, and don't think he is a good NBA player.  But I also think he could be a decent enough emergency guard, who could come in on short notice and bring energy and some quickness.

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2012, 11:23:34 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I'll be honest...I think if any of these guys have to step in for anything more than mop-up time in the playoffs, we are in big trouble.

I look at this spot as the regular season insurance policy.  They can look for a more reliable veteran at the deadline (and just cut Joseph, or whoever they sign now, if they need).

Based on these options, I am leaning towards Flynn.  I hate his game, and don't think he is a good NBA player.  But I also think he could be a decent enough emergency guard, who could come in on short notice and bring energy and some quickness.

Yeah I agree with you. If we are hit with an injury and one of these have to step in we are in for some rough times. However, if it comes down to one of these guys, I am much happier with Terry playing the majority of the back up point minutes. Honestly, I am still upset that Dooling left us. I think he was and would still be perfect in this role.

« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2012, 11:24:41 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah I agree with you. If we are hit with an injury and one of these have to step in we are in for some rough times. However, if it comes down to one of these guys, I am much happier with Terry playing the majority of the back up point minutes. Honestly, I am still upset that Dooling left us. I think he was and would still be perfect in this role.

I think there are very few guys in the NBA in general who I would prefer taking the backup PG minutes than Terry.  To me, this is all about depth.