Author Topic: Notre Dame to the ACC (In all sports other than football)  (Read 4086 times)

Notre Dame to the ACC (In all sports other than football)
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:25:17 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
http://www.theacc.com/genrel/091212aaa.html

GREENSBORO, N.C. - The Atlantic Coast Conference Council of Presidents has unanimously voted to accept the University of Notre Dame as a new member. The Irish will compete as full members in all conference sponsored sports with the exception of football which will play five games annually against league programs.

"We are committed to keeping the Atlantic Coast Conference a vibrant and competitive league dedicated to ensuring the appropriate balance of academics, athletics and integrity," said the ACC Council of Presidents in a joint statement. "The addition of Notre Dame further strengthens the rich tradition and culture of the ACC as well as allowing for future academic collaboration and we enthusiastically welcome them into the league."

Obviously huge news for the ACC and with Notre Dame playing 5 acc teams in football each year I think its a good compromise.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Notre Dame to the ACC (In all sports other than football)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 10:38:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Huge story

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8369070/notre-dame-sports-football-hockey-acc

This had been rumored for awhile.  I will be interested to see which schools ND keeps as its historical rivals since it has agreed to play 5 ACC schools every year (BC, Pitt and maybe Miami will likely continue to happen every year).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:54:28 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 10:51:15 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Interesting to see if they stick with the 15 memebers or add on a 16th.

I think while ND is a non-football school they should only add another non-football school

My choices would be

Villanova
Georgetown
Uconn - Their football team has to stay in Big East maybe go to the MAC
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 10:54:03 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
As a BC grad, I love this news.

Waiting to hear from my ND friends on how they feel about this.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Huge story

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8369070/notre-dame-sports-football-hockey-acc

This had been rumored for awhile.  I will be interested to see which schools ND keeps as its historical rivals since it has agreed to play 5 ACC schools every year (BC, Pitt and maybe Miami will likely continue to happen every year).
Sounds like they want to keep Stanford/USC/Navy.

So every big ten team other than Michigan gets dumped? Or does Michigan get dumped too.

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 11:05:27 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
As part of this the exit fee also got trippled so its now 50 million to leave the conference.  I think this should slow down the Clemson/FSU to the $EC rumors

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 11:20:03 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
FSU fans are livid over on tomahawk nation regarding the exit fee increase

Also, ND will play each ACC team at least once every 3 years

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Huge story

So every big ten team other than Michigan gets dumped? Or does Michigan get dumped too.

Conceivably, they can keep Michigan, MSU, Purdue, Navy, USC, Stanford, 5 ACC teams then bring on a random, I believe.

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 12:06:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Huge story

Conceivably, they can keep Michigan, MSU, Purdue, Navy, USC, Stanford, 5 ACC teams then bring on a random, I believe.
Could be, but I know they want to play the other armed forces occassionally as well. MSU/Purdue at least would get dumped as an annual matchup is my bet, maybe more.

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I don't understand why not join the ACC in football as well. But then again, I don't have a lot of knowledge on these things. I just watch college BBall and football.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 12:35:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I don't understand why not join the ACC in football as well. But then again, I don't have a lot of knowledge on these things. I just watch college BBall and football.
They want to keep recruiting the west coast, if they were a full conference member it would have been essentially impossible to keep their highest priority "traditional" games like USC/Stanford etc...

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 01:01:41 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
They want to keep recruiting the west coast, if they were a full conference member it would have been essentially impossible to keep their highest priority "traditional" games like USC/Stanford etc...

Its all about $.  Btw the tv deals and soon to be expired BCS.  Not sure what ND's financial ramifications are with the new playoffs series that will be starting.