Author Topic: Rumour: Barnes may sign with Celtics  (Read 38159 times)

Re: Rumour: Barnes may sign with Celtics
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2012, 09:50:57 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I just don't get the fascination with keeping Joseph. The percentages of him turning into an average player are stacked against him? Are people just hoping we hit the lottery and get that 1 in a million good second round guy?

You can pretty much conclude right now that he will not see the floor regardless of the injury situation. If green or Pierce go down we will just go very small and have Lee probably play there or get creative some other way. Joseph, I feel I can say with complete confidence would not step on the court during the playoffs. At least with Barnes you have a veteran presence who can rebound, defend and hit the occasional 3. He's not that old either and im not saying he would get those minutes at the 3 but he allows you to be more flexible in the playoffs if there is an injury or foul trouble where I just don't say Doc throwing joseph out there even if he were to dress

« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2012, 11:17:27 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I just don't get the fascination with keeping Joseph. The percentages of him turning into an average player are stacked against him? Are people just hoping we hit the lottery and get that 1 in a million good second round guy?

Celtics' second round choices since Ainge:

Justin Reed
Ryan Gomes - still in league
Orien Greene
Gabe Pruitt
Semih Erden - still in league
Lester Hudson - Played last season
Luke Harangody - still in league
E'twan Moore - just signed a new contract
Kris Joseph

So actually its a 55% chance they play some significant time in the NBA.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Justin Reed
Orien Greene
Gabe Pruitt
Kris Joseph

What about BBD and Powe
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2012, 11:33:05 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

Justin Reed
Orien Greene
Gabe Pruitt
Kris Joseph

So hitting the lottery equates to Luke harangody and Semih? Dear lord haha.

I will admit bbd was good pick up but even he didn't play 1 min (well maybe a couple) other than game 6 vs lakers.

Just funny you rattled off a bunch if crappy guys who maybe at best will reach Barnes level which isn't all that high anyway

« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2012, 11:51:44 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It be a good pick up. Barnes is a tough player.

« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2012, 11:57:54 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Justin Reed
Orien Greene
Gabe Pruitt
Kris Joseph

What about BBD and Powe

Guys I dumbly forgot.

No, you said the percentages were stacked against him being a average player one day. I was showing that the averages were actually in his favor that he'd have at least an average NBA career.

I will admit bbd was good pick up but even he didn't play 1 min (well maybe a couple) other than game 6 vs lakers.

Just funny you rattled off a bunch if crappy guys who maybe at best will reach Barnes level which isn't all that high anyway

I was just saying that 2nd round players turning into 3rd string contributors is pretty common, and considerably cheaper.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2012, 12:06:24 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

Justin Reed
Orien Greene
Gabe Pruitt
Kris Joseph

What about BBD and Powe

Guys I dumbly forgot.

No, you said the percentages were stacked against him being a average player one day. I was showing that the averages were actually in his favor that he'd have at least an average NBA career.

I was just saying that 2nd round players turning into 3rd string contributors is pretty common, and considerably cheaper.

Billy Walker should be on the list, too, not that his presence really changes anything.

Based on this analysis we're talking about Kris Joseph - in the best-case scenario - ultimately developing into a below-average, easily replaceable player.  Danny's second rounders have been much better than most second rounders, but we aren't talking about building blocks here.  If Kris Joseph (and/or Dionte Christmas) don't make the roster because Danny decides he'd rather have a guy like Barnes stashed on the bench, I'm not going to lose one lick of sleep over that.

« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Justin Reed
Orien Greene
Gabe Pruitt
Kris Joseph

What about BBD and Powe

Guys I dumbly forgot.

Cheaper than what? Signing a guy to the vet min?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm not even sure I'd want the version of Matt Barnes from 5 years ago. In his prime, he was mediocre in everything (except hacking at people), and didn't have a real position. Please stay away.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2012, 12:47:38 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

Justin Reed
Orien Greene
Gabe Pruitt
Kris Joseph

What about BBD and Powe

Guys I dumbly forgot.

Every player you listed is below average though right?

We saw guys like daniels, dooling, Pietrus play in playoff games this year, who I consider mainly 3rd stringers. I don't see us throwing out an unproven rookie in those situations and we didn't. If you think its so common to get these 3rd stringer or average players than why does it matter if we keep joseph if we are just as likely to pick up that average player in the next draft?

« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think I'd rather gamble on Christmas rather than Joseph if it is down to them for one roster spot.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2012, 01:00:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think I'd rather gamble on Christmas rather than Joseph if it is down to them for one roster spot.

I say let them battle it out in camp.  I am not all that confident that a guy like Christmas, who has been bouncing around out of the league the last few years, is going to be some revelation.

« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2012, 01:04:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I say let them battle it out in camp.  I am not all that confident that a guy like Christmas, who has been bouncing around out of the league the last few years, is going to be some revelation.

Jeremy Lin 2.0?

« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2012, 01:15:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Jeremy Lin 2.0?

I think its a very different situation.  Lin was buried on a couple rosters, but teams knew he had the talent.  Christmas just hasn't been that impressive.   

« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
You'd be better off comparing Christmas to Gary Neal, as a guy who went to Europe for a bit after failing to catch on with a team in the NBA.  Since he has had a few extra years to mature, I would guess that he has a better chance of contributing than Joseph.  Wages of Win, whose work I love, suggests Christmas has the ability to be a hidden gem, based on his performance in Europe.

I like being willing to gamble with a guy like Christmas over the sort of declining "proven veteran" available for the minimum who might be considered for a third-string wing position on the bench.

One thing that gives Christmas the edge over Joseph is that his contract contains a partial guarantee.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference