Author Topic: Lucky17's Yahoo! H2H Hoops League: 2013 offseason: Post-lottery  (Read 308450 times)

Re: Lucky17's Yahoo! H2H Hoops League: 2012-13 season: Rookie Draft
« Reply #345 on: October 03, 2012, 01:48:54 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Luke Babbitt for a 1st rounder

Did I miss something? I can't find record of this.

Wasn't that from last year's draft?  Wiggle traded Babbitt for a mid-1st, if I remember correctly.

I say, good for him.  That shouldn't be a vetoable trade, either.

Though I am pleased that Luke Babbitt and the 25th pick (Marcus Morris) for the 14th pick (Alec Burks) has gone into the book as my finest work.

It would've looked even better for me If the three guys drafting 11th, 12th, and 13th hadn't made back to back to back flawless picks.

Here's who I was hoping to get at 14 last fall.

Klay Thompson
Kawhi Leonard
Kenneth Faried

Here's how it went down:

11. Kane3387 Klay Thompson
12. Rondo2287 Kenneth Faried
13. Kwhit Kawhi Leonard
14. DraftDodgers Alex Burks

Fun fact, I accidentally reacquired Marcus Morris in the Caron Butler for Ray Allen deal that I made with the Webskins. My original target was again #11 pick Klay Thompson, but Kane somehow talked me down from Thompson, to a 2012 1st, to the worse Morris brother and the rights to swap 1sts.

« Reply #346 on: October 03, 2012, 01:57:54 AM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Okay, I'm just calling my own number again and again at this point...

A rules change to consider for 2013-14 - replace the TO category - a negative counting stat which is more often than not won by the losing team in any given match up - with the positive AST/TO ratio?

Might even more closely approximate player value, which is what I've come to prefer about counting FGM and FTM in addition to PTS.

While the rule could conceivably help our team, I'd object to any changing of categories at this point, just because people have spent years crafting their teams to certain expectations.  (Well, at least in theory.)

Well, speaking as the guy who won the league first and last, I'm in year five of a one year plan.

Of course, I expected you'd oppose any change proposed by yours truly, but can we at least discuss the idea on its merits, as we've always done with your proposed rules changes? Some of which we've even passed, despite your stance now as a strict originalist.

Now let's recall that the league was drafted as an 11-cat points league without playoffs; that in our first year as a H2H league we had a six team playoff bracket with byes for the top two teams; that the league didn't cap roster moves in the playoffs until the third season, etc.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:33:24 AM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #347 on: October 03, 2012, 08:11:11 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
looks like there will be some good players on the wavier wire after the cuts to 16..alot of GM has some tough choices to make like me
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #348 on: October 03, 2012, 08:14:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

A rules change to consider for 2013-14 - replace the TO category - a negative counting stat which is more often than not won by the losing team in any given match up - with the positive AST/TO ratio?

Might even more closely approximate player value, which is what I've come to prefer about counting FGM and FTM in addition to PTS.

While the rule could conceivably help our team, I'd object to any changing of categories at this point, just because people have spent years crafting their teams to certain expectations.  (Well, at least in theory.)

Well, speaking as the guy who won the league first and last, I'm in year five of a one year plan.

Of course, I expected you'd oppose any change proposed by yours truly, but can we at least discuss the idea on its merits, as we've always done with your proposed rules changes? Some of which we've even passed, despite your stance now as a strict originalist.

Now let's recall that the league was drafted as an 11-cat points league without playoffs; that in our first year as a H2H league we had a six team playoff bracket with byes for the top two teams; that the league didn't cap roster moves in the playoffs until the third season, etc.

I don't think there should be any change to the categories or to the roster slots, under any circumstances.  I think those two things would have the potential to radically shift the league, which is something that I don't think would be fair.

As always, though, if 11 GMs disagree, I'd be fine with the change.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #349 on: October 03, 2012, 08:15:51 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
I'VE got alot of forwards so if u need a couple, let me know. I need a center
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #350 on: October 03, 2012, 08:16:15 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

I don't think there should be any change to the categories or to the roster slots, under any circumstances.  I think those two things would have the potential to radically shift the league, which is something that I don't think would be fair.

As always, though, if 11 GMs disagree, I'd be fine with the change.

Im nominating myself as leader of the player redistribution party.  If elected by 10 other GM's I promise a rule change allowing the top 4 players from the championship team to be redistributed to the 4 teams in the lottery at random. 

Remember success is only success if we all get a taste.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #351 on: October 03, 2012, 08:17:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
For anybody who has the guts to place a bet on their team (or against ours), we'll trade our #1 for your #1, straight up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #352 on: October 03, 2012, 08:23:53 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Though I never said veto, just that you should take some consolation in having pulled off one heist on Edgar before he quit.

Well, perhaps if Edgar had been allowed to shape his team as he wanted, rather than being stuck with the chronically injured Stephen Curry, the Crotors / Juggernauts wouldn't have finished as poorly as they did.

Edgar went from an 9th place finish the season before, to a bottom-4 performance last season.  It was a mix of bad luck and a royal screw job; I don't think either were predictable.

« Reply #353 on: October 03, 2012, 09:10:08 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Luke Babbitt for a 1st rounder

Did I miss something? I can't find record of this.

Wasn't that from last year's draft?  Wiggle traded Babbitt for a mid-1st, if I remember correctly.

I say, good for him.  That shouldn't be a vetoable trade, either.

Though I am pleased that Luke Babbitt and the 25th pick (Marcus Morris) for the 14th pick (Alec Burks) has gone into the book as my finest work.

It would've looked even better for me If the three guys drafting 11th, 12th, and 13th hadn't made back to back to back flawless picks.

Here's who I was hoping to get at 14 last fall.

Klay Thompson
Kawhi Leonard
Kenneth Faried

Here's how it went down:

11. Kane3387 Klay Thompson
12. Rondo2287 Kenneth Faried
13. Kwhit Kawhi Leonard
14. DraftDodgers Alex Burks

Fun fact, I accidentally reacquired Marcus Morris in the Caron Butler for Ray Allen deal that I made with the Webskins. My original target was again #11 pick Klay Thompson, but Kane somehow talked me down from Thompson, to a 2012 1st, to the worse Morris brother and the rights to swap 1sts.

This sounds a lot like Sam Presti talking Danny down from James Harden to Jeff Green in the Perkins deal.

Props to Presti... I mean Kane!

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #354 on: October 03, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
looks like there will be some good players on the wavier wire after the cuts to 16..alot of GM has some tough choices to make like me

The waiver wire vultures are circling.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #355 on: October 03, 2012, 09:34:55 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Can somebody provide me the roster link and cut down date?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #356 on: October 03, 2012, 09:41:22 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

« Reply #357 on: October 03, 2012, 09:48:08 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

« Reply #358 on: October 03, 2012, 09:57:48 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
Though I never said veto, just that you should take some consolation in having pulled off one heist on Edgar before he quit.

Well, perhaps if Edgar had been allowed to shape his team as he wanted, rather than being stuck with the chronically injured Stephen Curry, the Crotors / Juggernauts wouldn't have finished as poorly as they did.

Curry only missed 10 combined games in his first two seasons. Most people used to believe Curry's old teammate Monta was injury prone. He missed a large part of the 08/09 season, plus some of the next season b/c of his moped accident. However, that was just a blip on the Monta radar.

Curry may yet be 'classified' as injury-prone, but not yet. He is by no means Eric Gordon or Brandon Roy. He may easily play 75-80 games this season. And if he puts up his 18&6, the Juggs can keep him or trade him for KG or some other player that he likes.

Edgar went from an 9th place finish the season before, to a bottom-4 performance last season.  It was a mix of bad luck and a royal screw job; I don't think either were predictable.

While a productive KG over a DNP Curry would have helped Edgar's team win a couple of more categories last season, his team was doomed to a bad finish regardless of the trade. Hamilton, Lewis, West, and Okafor all missed 20+ games and Haywood pulled a no show.

The real sad fact is that the Juggs are off to a bad start this season with Wall going down. That's a tough way to start, but hopefully Wall will return soon w/o further problems.

Mk
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:05:10 AM by mkogav »

DKC Knicks

« Reply #359 on: October 03, 2012, 01:51:43 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
For anybody who has the guts to place a bet on their team (or against ours), we'll trade our #1 for your #1, straight up.

Yeah, I already received that trade offer. But I got no response to my counter? If you and Nick want to bet team naming rights against Steph Curry finishing in the top 40 though, I'm still up for that.

As opposed to drafting as a points league and using those results in a H2H league? Should we bring back games played limits? Where's your spirit of adventure? I'm just in this to have fun - also long, heated debates about year old fantasy trades.

Typically the league's best players are the ones who commit the most turnovers. They're receiving the most minutes, handling the ball more, taking more shots. Using turnovers as a category punishes managers for having and starting better players. And just about the only workable strategy is to ignore the category, which isn't exactly punting - purposely drafting high turnover players.