Author Topic: Lucky17's Yahoo! H2H Hoops League: 2013 offseason: Post-lottery  (Read 308825 times)

Re: Lucky17's Yahoo! H2H Hoops League: 2012-13 season: Rookie Draft
« Reply #315 on: October 01, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I have very little interest in wading into the veto discussion, because it is clear that there are opinions on either side and this many months along, those lines are not any more blurred. 

But is it possible, regardless of what is chosen, to have trades "pending" for longer then 24 hours.  There is no real reason (that I can think of) to have it be that quick, and having a longer time, I dont know, 48 hours, at least gives an owner who has something come up time to actually review and decide before the trade has already gone through?

A 48-hour window is a possible league setting, yes.

I don't like messing around with the trade rules, if only because it makes it harder to complete multiple trades around the trade deadline.

Yeah, I agree. To me, the extra 24 hours makes for a really long time before teams are able to put new players into their lineups. As much as 4 days.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #316 on: October 01, 2012, 03:37:33 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
I mostly just wanted to say "cockle-blocker"  :)

I did give u a well deserved TP for that one!

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #317 on: October 01, 2012, 05:18:32 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Okay lets get down to business!! Cut down day is coming and almost all of us have to get down to 16...so lets talk trade!! Heres my available.

Marvin Williams
Nick Young
Alonzo Geee
Mike Dunleavy
Carl Landry
Psycho T
Quincy Miller
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #318 on: October 02, 2012, 02:37:45 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Now I am new here and just a co-GM but I think this is something that should be seriously considered by all objectively.

Sure, but you first.

2 under performing vets.

That's some nice English on the ball, Nick. Lamar Odom was in the midst of the worst follow up season by an NBA sixth man ever. He returned 322nd value, meaning he wasn't even worth carrying on a roster last season. He got waived mid-year. (Let's keep in mind Edgar's goal in dealing an injured 23-year-old Curry was to make a playoff push.) Streaming D-League calls up would've earned any GM more wins. I'm guessing, it was too tough for Roy to stomach cutting him, but it was a mistake not to. One of couple of missteps that cost you two the title.

Metta World Peace ranked 163. Okay, you could make the argument that he was roster worthy, and had some spot start value. But take a closer look. He offered above average value in exactly one category - steals. Meanwhile he and Lamar shot a combined 37.6 FG% and 60.6 FT%. Punt two categories for one? Not a good strategy.

And a possible top 2-4 pick in one of the deepest drafts since the LeBron/Wade/Bosh/Darko/Melo drafts.

As long as you ignore the fact, that the potential lottery pick was Edgar's own, which he'd dealt to Roy for Delonte West, oft-injured, borderline NBA starter, who Roy was preparing to cut. (So maybe Roy shouldn't be so disappointed, since he got the acutally indefensible trade over on Edgar.) And again, Edgar's motivation was to make the playoffs. Pushing the team out of the 2-4 range that you're now trying to use to justify the vetoed deal and into the middle of the round?

And a mid to late first round pick in that same draft where most considered the cut off for potential star players was at about the 10th pick.

That's having your cake and eating it too.

A top 10 PG/but not a top 40 player

In fantasy, Curry ranked in the top 20 in both 2009-10 and 10-11. Let's bet the naming rights to our respective teams in 2013-14 on Curry finishing in the top 40 this season?

« Reply #319 on: October 02, 2012, 02:41:56 AM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
I have very little interest in wading into the veto discussion, because it is clear that there are opinions on either side and this many months along, those lines are not any more blurred. 

But is it possible, regardless of what is chosen, to have trades "pending" for longer then 24 hours.  There is no real reason (that I can think of) to have it be that quick, and having a longer time, I dont know, 48 hours, at least gives an owner who has something come up time to actually review and decide before the trade has already gone through?

I agree with YH. I'd much rather have 48 hours to review. I don't log in every day, I'm guessing that many of the guys don't, and I'm bummed out when trades slip past me.

(Even though I've never voted for a veto before. I'm leaning towards using the veto a lot this year if only to have more to talk about on the forums.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:53:45 AM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #320 on: October 02, 2012, 02:52:17 AM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
So be it.  I'm going to continue to beat the skeletal remains of that steed so long as we have bad rules in place.

In that same spirit can I convince anybody to bring back unlimited playoff roster moves?

Less tongue in cheek - I've long held that the philosophy of allowing any and every trade, short of collusion, is bad for the long term health of the dynasty league. (I also predicted we'd have a backlash veto at some point...)

I'd be all in favor of replacing the current veto system with more rigid trade rules.

« Reply #321 on: October 02, 2012, 03:04:30 AM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Okay, I'm just calling my own number again and again at this point...

A rules change to consider for 2013-14 - replace the TO category - a negative counting stat which is more often than not won by the losing team in any given match up - with the positive AST/TO ratio?

Might even more closely approximate player value, which is what I've come to prefer about counting FGM and FTM in addition to PTS.

« Reply #322 on: October 02, 2012, 03:33:13 AM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
BTW Birdman and I have an unofficial trade to announce, pending commish and league approval:

Rusted Rims send:

Andrew Nicholson
Michael J Dunleavy Jr
Wes Johnson
Quincy Miller

Birdman sends:

DJ Augustin
Chandler Parsons
Right to swap 2013 1sts

Sad to see Nicholson go but I wanted another PG and I'm intrigued by Parsons.

I'm jealous that THE FWF is pulling off so many deals/continuing to add players I covet. He picks up the only starter in the deal, as well as the always valuable 1st round swap rights, for a handful of bench guys he didn't have roster space for.

« Reply #323 on: October 02, 2012, 07:25:33 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

A rules change to consider for 2013-14 - replace the TO category - a negative counting stat which is more often than not won by the losing team in any given match up - with the positive AST/TO ratio?

Might even more closely approximate player value, which is what I've come to prefer about counting FGM and FTM in addition to PTS.

As somebody without a single legitimate pg on their team I say poo on that rule change
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #324 on: October 02, 2012, 01:47:19 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Well, I've got 4 too many players on my roster. Here's who I'm looking to trade:

Kyle Lowry
Devin Harris
Jarrett Jack
DeMar DeRozan
Wilson Chandler
Luis Scola
Jamal Crawford
Jodie Meeks
Martell Webster
Boris Diaw
Jason Thompson
Marquis Teague
Doron Lamb
Jae Crowder

Lamb, Crowder, Meeks, Webster are the most available.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #325 on: October 02, 2012, 02:56:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Now I am new here and just a co-GM but I think this is something that should be seriously considered by all objectively.

Sure, but you first.

2 under performing vets.

That's some nice English on the ball, Nick. Lamar Odom was in the midst of the worst follow up season by an NBA sixth man ever. He returned 322nd value, meaning he wasn't even worth carrying on a roster last season. He got waived mid-year. (Let's keep in mind Edgar's goal in dealing an injured 23-year-old Curry was to make a playoff push.) Streaming D-League calls up would've earned any GM more wins. I'm guessing, it was too tough for Roy to stomach cutting him, but it was a mistake not to. One of couple of missteps that cost you two the title.

Metta World Peace ranked 163. Okay, you could make the argument that he was roster worthy, and had some spot start value. But take a closer look. He offered above average value in exactly one category - steals. Meanwhile he and Lamar shot a combined 37.6 FG% and 60.6 FT%. Punt two categories for one? Not a good strategy.

And a possible top 2-4 pick in one of the deepest drafts since the LeBron/Wade/Bosh/Darko/Melo drafts.

As long as you ignore the fact, that the potential lottery pick was Edgar's own, which he'd dealt to Roy for Delonte West, oft-injured, borderline NBA starter, who Roy was preparing to cut. (So maybe Roy shouldn't be so disappointed, since he got the acutally indefensible trade over on Edgar.) And again, Edgar's motivation was to make the playoffs. Pushing the team out of the 2-4 range that you're now trying to use to justify the vetoed deal and into the middle of the round?

And a mid to late first round pick in that same draft where most considered the cut off for potential star players was at about the 10th pick.

That's having your cake and eating it too.

A top 10 PG/but not a top 40 player

In fantasy, Curry ranked in the top 20 in both 2009-10 and 10-11. Let's bet the naming rights to our respective teams in 2013-14 on Curry finishing in the top 40 this season?
Did you miss the part where I said that was my initial reaction?

It was my objective initial reaction. If anything I thought Roy was getting the worse of the trade. Know this, I did not know at the time it was a keeper league or how the mechanics of the H2H format or player scoring was kept. As I have admitted, I have only ever been in one fantasy basketball league before so my reaction was from my knowledge of the players as players not fantasy players.

And I still say Curry isn't even as good as KG never mind all those other parts, fantasy or not.

« Reply #326 on: October 02, 2012, 03:13:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
And I still say Curry isn't even as good as KG never mind all those other parts, fantasy or not.

Yeah, if I could have one guy for the next two years, I'm definitely going with KG.  Throw in Odom (who should have a resurgence) and Bradley Beal, and it's sort of a no-brainer at this point.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #327 on: October 02, 2012, 03:28:37 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
In hindsight, I should have voted against that initial Delonte West trade at the time. I didn't like the smell of it then, but I kept my mouth shut. I wonder if we'd be here now otherwise.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #328 on: October 02, 2012, 03:45:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
In hindsight, I should have voted against that initial Delonte West trade at the time. I didn't like the smell of it then, but I kept my mouth shut. I wonder if we'd be here now otherwise.

Edgar had finished 10th the year before.  I don't remember where MK finished, but it was reasonable at the time to think that Edgar was going to be dropping back a handful of spots for a play who he coveted, and who puts up a solid 10 points with high efficiency levels.

That's not the type of deal that should be vetoed, either.  It's certainly not worse than Luke Babbitt for a 1st rounder, or some of the other deals we've seen in recent years.  At least Delonte is still in the league, contributing.

I have absolutely no idea what the criteria being advocated for a veto is, other than "If Roy and nick's team pulls off a trade, it should be / should have been vetoed".

Roy shouldn't be so disappointed, since he got the acutally indefensible trade over on Edgar.

Well, it was certainly defensible, but in hindsight I agree that it turned out to be a much worse deal than the one that did get vetoed.

Getting in a few more kicks to our deceased equine, my biggest problem with the veto is that there are absolutely no standards that people are asked to follow.  Traditionally, it was "no collusion".  Now, it's what?  "Keep the best team from getting better"?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:55:35 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #329 on: October 02, 2012, 03:57:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

While the rule could conceivably help our team, I'd object to any changing of categories at this point, just because people have spent years crafting their teams to certain expectations.  (Well, at least in theory.)