Author Topic: Homebrewing Notes/Thoughts  (Read 24593 times)

Re: Homebrewing Notes/Thoughts
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Brewed up a black IPA (NB kit) this weekend - very curious to see how it comes out.  Made my first yeast starter to go with it, but didn't really see much difference in the fermentation process.  Also got to use my new wort chiller and bottle washer, which was fun.

Will start the bourbon porter up either this weekend or next.

I did a black IPA a while back, did not come out well.  It's a hit-or-miss style for me, I've had some wonderful ones and a few that were atrocious (like mine, and one from Element Brewing).  I was trying to do more of an English version of the style (doing an English version of an American beer that's a ****ization of an English style; it worked better in theory).  Just too much chocolately malts, not enough *sharp* hop character, and kind of a weird malt sweetness.  Hope that yours comes out better than mine!

I know very little about tinkering with recipes so far, but would a little extra dryhopping strengthen the sharpness of the hop flavor?  The recipe calls for 1 oz of dry hops, but I have some extra laying around.  Might toss an extra oz or so in if it's likely to be beneficial.

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2013, 12:10:20 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Brewed up a black IPA (NB kit) this weekend - very curious to see how it comes out.  Made my first yeast starter to go with it, but didn't really see much difference in the fermentation process.  Also got to use my new wort chiller and bottle washer, which was fun.

I did a black IPA a while back, did not come out well.  It's a hit-or-miss style for me, I've had some wonderful ones and a few that were atrocious (like mine, and one from Element Brewing).  I was trying to do more of an English version of the style (doing an English version of an American beer that's a ****ization of an English style; it worked better in theory).  Just too much chocolately malts, not enough *sharp* hop character, and kind of a weird malt sweetness.  Hope that yours comes out better than mine!

I know very little about tinkering with recipes so far, but would a little extra dryhopping strengthen the sharpness of the hop flavor?  The recipe calls for 1 oz of dry hops, but I have some extra laying around.  Might toss an extra oz or so in if it's likely to be beneficial.

You could try the dry hopping. Or add the ounce to the end of the boil. What kind of hops?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

You could try the dry hopping. Or add the ounce to the end of the boil. What kind of hops?

The boil's already done.  Recipe calls for 1 oz Cascade as the dry hops.  I have some Falconer's Flight and one other type of hops whose name escapes me but has a lower alpha.

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

Dryhopping will add to the aroma, which is absolutely what you want with any kind of IPA.  My issues was that I was using English hop varieties (Fuggles and East Kent Goldings, IIRC), which have more of an earthy character than the sharp citrus of most domestic hops.  The only real issue with doing more dryhopping is that you will lose some volume, but if it were me I'd probably do two ounces of dryhops instead of one.

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Thanks the_Bird, TP - I was thinking about it anyway, especially since it seems like the recipe was more malty/sweet and less hoppy than I'd probably want.

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2013, 03:38:48 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I never knew such a wonderful thread on celticsblog existed..

Recently brewed up a pale ale with cascade hops and light+amber malt extracts. Usually when I would add more dextrose I added organic honey instead...the beer smells like a honey pot and tastes great. If you're one for adding extra sugar before fermentation I would definitely recommend a good organic honey.

Doing another ale batch next weekend with Amarillo and light/amber ale malts. Also thinking about another creative sugar source to use.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2013, 03:45:58 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
I never knew such a wonderful thread on celticsblog existed..

Recently brewed up a pale ale with cascade hops and light+amber malt extracts. Usually when I would add more dextrose I added organic honey instead...the beer smells like a honey pot and tastes great. If you're one for adding extra sugar before fermentation I would definitely recommend a good organic honey.

Doing another ale batch next weekend with Amarillo and light/amber ale malts. Also thinking about another creative sugar source to use.

The honey pale ale post pour.... ;D

Adding the honey did change the color slightly...

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2013, 03:49:43 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Tp for the awesome T.

TP for the delicious looking beer. There is an Irish draught kit from northern brewer that comes together like voltron with 2lbs of honey and some dry hopping.

The Amarillo you made, was it big? IPA?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2013, 04:08:20 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
Tp for the awesome T.

TP for the delicious looking beer. There is an Irish draught kit from northern brewer that comes together like voltron with 2lbs of honey and some dry hopping.

The Amarillo you made, was it big? IPA?

Cheers!

Is this the kit you're referring to?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/irish-draught-ale-extract-kit.html

Sounds like a delicious kit. It's funny... The honey has a predictable effect on the nose as you sip but an unpredictable effect on the overall flavor. I might have drink more of my honey ale tonight to get my head around it. :P

Will report back on the Amarillo once I begin the brew.

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2013, 04:45:55 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
Will be dry hopping my next batch....

Is there any difference between dry hopping with pellets or flowers? Should I keep anything in mind bar the weight? (obviously)

Have only ever dry-hopped with flowers before and have enjoyed the results.

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2013, 01:29:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Will be dry hopping my next batch....

Is there any difference between dry hopping with pellets or flowers? Should I keep anything in mind bar the weight? (obviously)

Have only ever dry-hopped with flowers before and have enjoyed the results.

Well I don't have a local HBS, so I've only dry-hopped with pellets.

But I am about to order another bulk shipment (like 3 kits and some other knick-knacks), and I've been looking into this as well. Apparently, people swear by dry-hopping with whole-leaf, but brewing with pellet.

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2013, 01:08:19 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen

Small stock up of ingredients for a brew this weekend. Plus the all important signature edition hobbit brew bucket ;P.

First time dry hopping with pellets...so will probably use a woman's stocking or chux wipe or something as a filter instead of dropping them straight in.

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Small stock up of ingredients for a brew this weekend. Plus the all important signature edition hobbit brew bucket ;P.

First time dry hopping with pellets...so will probably use a woman's stocking or chux wipe or something as a filter instead of dropping them straight in.

No need to tea bag it. (Ha)

Pellets dissolve

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2013, 09:23:58 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
Got the golden ale bubbling away at the moment. Some delicious smells emanating from the area.

Carapils the only semi-interesting grain used in this one. Added some organic agave nectar at the end of the brew as an experimental substitute for honey.
Dry hopping with chinook and amarillo. Will take it easy with the pellets first time round.

Thinking of getting a secondary going with my own variation of a boston lager and calling the end product the Molly Mcgrath.
That hallertau aroma variety sounds right up my alley.

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Who here uses a burner (as opposed to stove top)?

Been thinking of picking up a Dark Star burner from NB. Was wondering about the pros and cons of using a propane burner.

Edit: I should probably add: I do nothing bigger than 5 gallon batches, and my outdoor space is a covered patio (not a garage).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:01:38 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague