Author Topic: 2012 Fantasy Football Advice Thread  (Read 67391 times)

Re: 2012 Fanstasy Football Advice Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2012, 04:11:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Crabtree and Bess aren't going to get him any quality RB's on his bench

I think this year more than ever is just about getting names in the hat and hoping to get lucky at the runningback spot. I think he'd be better off looking to acquire someone like Jacquiz Rodgers and hoping to get lucky, and if that doesn't pan out use the roster spots to acquire backs on the wire.

Crabtree could improve this season, but except in case of injury, he'll never play over his two other receivers.
Yeah but why give up clear starters at WR for a backup RB that may or may not breakout, especially when you will need one of the WR to play flex a lot this year.  He also has some backup RB's that might strike it rich (so to speak).

Cuz right now he's forced to start Sproles, and I don't see a breakout season for those other guys. Spiller hasn't shown anything over any period of time to show tha he could be a breakout star, why would this year be different?

I guess you could say Starks could breakout, but I've got a feeling that Benson's going to be a monster for them. At the very least, Starks probably isn't seeing any redzone carries with him around.

Conventional thinking will say wait on Crabtree and then trade him, but I get the feeling that everyone doing fantasy football is going to be pretty 'set' with their starting receiving core. There's just so many guys that can get you numbers there this year.

Darren Sproles was the 6th most productive RB in my PPR league last year. I was 50/50 on drafting him over Harvin in my keeper league this year in the 2nd round, but opted to go for the guy I thought had higher upside.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2012, 04:38:56 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think this year more than ever is just about getting names in the hat and hoping to get lucky at the runningback spot. I think he'd be better off looking to acquire someone like Jacquiz Rodgers and hoping to get lucky, and if that doesn't pan out use the roster spots to acquire backs on the wire.

Crabtree could improve this season, but except in case of injury, he'll never play over his two other receivers.
Yeah but why give up clear starters at WR for a backup RB that may or may not breakout, especially when you will need one of the WR to play flex a lot this year.  He also has some backup RB's that might strike it rich (so to speak).

Cuz right now he's forced to start Sproles, and I don't see a breakout season for those other guys. Spiller hasn't shown anything over any period of time to show tha he could be a breakout star, why would this year be different?

I guess you could say Starks could breakout, but I've got a feeling that Benson's going to be a monster for them. At the very least, Starks probably isn't seeing any redzone carries with him around.

Conventional thinking will say wait on Crabtree and then trade him, but I get the feeling that everyone doing fantasy football is going to be pretty 'set' with their starting receiving core. There's just so many guys that can get you numbers there this year.
Sproles is a monster in PPR leagues.  He isn't being forced to start him, he should be starting him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2012, 04:45:26 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Yup, you guys are right. Very rare oversight by me on the PPR. VERY RARE.

Regardless, I still stand by my the sentiment of my comments. I'd expect Sproles production to drop off a bit and Jamaal Charles is certainly a question mark. Depth needs to be there, and I think he can afford it w/ the surrounding starters.

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2012, 04:54:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Extra TPs all around for fightin over lil old me  :P

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2012, 05:30:32 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Regardless, I still stand by my the sentiment of my comments. I'd expect Sproles production to drop off a bit and Jamaal Charles is certainly a question mark. Depth needs to be there, and I think he can afford it w/ the surrounding starters.
I guess the way I look at it, is if I was drafting and I had his starters and I could select Crabtree or Jaquizz, I am drafting Crabtree so why would I make that trade at this point.

Now I think he should explore packaging Crabtree with one of his three starting RB's to see if he can get an upgrade (obviously the better the RB he packages, the better upgrade I would be looking at).  You know maybe Crabtree and Smith could get a Doug Martin or something like that.  And yeah I know Martin is a rookie, but he seems like the clear #1 as opposed to Smith he may be 3rd string by the end of the year (behind Leshoure and Best).  A trade like that would have some merit and would be worth exploring.

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2012, 10:42:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Fantasy sleeper alert: Joel Dreessen passed Jacob Tamme on the depth chart today, making him the Broncos' #1 TE, which means he'll be one of Manning's favorite targets. If anyone out there is in a deep league and needs a starting TE, there ya go.

They're going to play a LOT of split TE sets, agreed for sure that Dressen's a sleeper, but Tamme's been disgustingly over-hyped. I can't believe how many people are passing are Martellus Bennett. That's my guy.

Did you see my first post in the thread? (did anyone? No advice?) I was bullish on Bennett too, but I dropped him because I thought there was a little bit too much unknown there, and Rudolph already has a solid rapport with Ponder, and will be their best target from week 1.

But if Bennett gets a good relationship with Eli early, and with the talent on the Giants receivers, Bennett could be the next Gronk.

I think you made a small mistake w/ Bennett. Hope you can follow my logic - If I were a betting man I don't think Bennett ends up panning out. He's a numskull. But he does have an incredible amount of physical talent, and perhaps Eli and the Giants coaching staff can get it out of him. So there is some upside there.

And while Rudolph is a bit more proven commodity, I think his upside is pretty limited. Probably similar to the top tight end you'd be able to pick up on the waiver wire on any given week.

I'm not liking Bennett's 3 receptions in a half. If he is catching 6 balls a game while the Giants run game splutters...crap.

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2012, 06:55:57 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Fantasy sleeper alert: Joel Dreessen passed Jacob Tamme on the depth chart today, making him the Broncos' #1 TE, which means he'll be one of Manning's favorite targets. If anyone out there is in a deep league and needs a starting TE, there ya go.

They're going to play a LOT of split TE sets, agreed for sure that Dressen's a sleeper, but Tamme's been disgustingly over-hyped. I can't believe how many people are passing are Martellus Bennett. That's my guy.

Did you see my first post in the thread? (did anyone? No advice?) I was bullish on Bennett too, but I dropped him because I thought there was a little bit too much unknown there, and Rudolph already has a solid rapport with Ponder, and will be their best target from week 1.

But if Bennett gets a good relationship with Eli early, and with the talent on the Giants receivers, Bennett could be the next Gronk.

I think you made a small mistake w/ Bennett. Hope you can follow my logic - If I were a betting man I don't think Bennett ends up panning out. He's a numskull. But he does have an incredible amount of physical talent, and perhaps Eli and the Giants coaching staff can get it out of him. So there is some upside there.

And while Rudolph is a bit more proven commodity, I think his upside is pretty limited. Probably similar to the top tight end you'd be able to pick up on the waiver wire on any given week.

I'm not liking Bennett's 3 receptions in a half. If he is catching 6 balls a game while the Giants run game splutters...crap.
He is a blocking TE mostly.  Same as he was in Dallas.

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2012, 07:28:45 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Its funny, I was listening to the game last night and they had the cowboys announcers on the radio and they said, Bennet doesnt like blocking, he is a route runner, he just never got the chance behind witten.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Yeah, got the only receiving TD last night for the Giants.

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

I guess the way I look at it, is if I was drafting and I had his starters and I could select Crabtree or Jaquizz, I am drafting Crabtree so why would I make that trade at this point.

Now I think he should explore packaging Crabtree with one of his three starting RB's to see if he can get an upgrade (obviously the better the RB he packages, the better upgrade I would be looking at).  You know maybe Crabtree and Smith could get a Doug Martin or something like that.  And yeah I know Martin is a rookie, but he seems like the clear #1 as opposed to Smith he may be 3rd string by the end of the year (behind Leshoure and Best).  A trade like that would have some merit and would be worth exploring.

I think you've gotta be insane to trade Doug Martin for Michael Crabtree and Smith.

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2012, 10:02:18 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Yeah, got the only receiving TD last night for the Giants.

Ya, I remember from 'Hard Knocks' when he was backing up JAAAAAASSSSSOOOOOOOOONNNN WIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEENNN* he showed a pretty clear disinterest in blocking. I suppose things could've changed since then, but from comments he's made earlier in the preseason it doesn't seem like he's matured much.

*TP to anyone who gets that reference

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2012, 05:47:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Because Spiller is healthy, which he was able to show today with an absolutely monster of a game.  Looks like Jackson's injury isn't serious, but I think Spiller's game probably warrants more action going forward.  Crabtree is also looking pretty solid through the first half against Green Bay.  His team seems like it should be pretty solid if his starters can stay healthy.

Re: 2012 Fantasy Football Advice Thread
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2012, 11:16:41 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Update:  picked up Roy Helu on waivers, and CJ Spiller is looking like a boss thus far.  Kevin Smith gave me a good game this week too though I doubt that'll last.  Might try and package Smith + Crabtree for a better RB but I'm at least ok with the status quo for now.

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2012, 11:53:01 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Because Spiller is healthy, which he was able to show today with an absolutely monster of a game.  Looks like Jackson's injury isn't serious, but I think Spiller's game probably warrants more action going forward.  Crabtree is also looking pretty solid through the first half against Green Bay.  His team seems like it should be pretty solid if his starters can stay healthy.

Crabtree looks like a possible top-25 or top-20 option among WR's in PPR leagues if he gets targets like he did this week. If you're starting out with 8 pts automatically, plus the yards, plus any touchdowns..

Re: 2012 Fantasy Football Advice Thread
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2012, 01:43:44 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Anybody have any thoughts on my team?

Ppr league, 14 teams. It was auction draft with everyone starting out with $200 and happened about 2 weeks ago. Qb, 2 wr, 2 rbs, 1 rb/wr, 1 te,  1 d, 1 k.

Highest dollar amount at important positions:
Brees-$72
McCoy-$68
Gronk-$49
Calvin Johnson-$60.

My team:
Cam Newton-$52
MJD-$56
Steven Ridley-$12
Demarco murray-$36
Jeremy maclin-$23
Randy Moss -$9