Author Topic: Reddick  (Read 6150 times)

Reddick
« on: September 01, 2012, 11:46:32 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Why did we trade him away again?

Re: Reddick
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:42:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So that they could scapegoat Bobby V and fire him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:51:06 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The front office sucked, but that doesn't excuse the atrocity that was Bobby Valentine's management.  He alienated his players and coaches, as well as the media and fanbase.  It was perhaps the worst managerial experience in Red Sox history.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 10:53:03 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Reddick is a very streaky hitter (he's on my fantasy team, so I experienced his ups and downs.)  If he stayed on the Red Sox, he'd have probably been banished to Pawtucket in the middle of every slump.  Good thing for him he got sent away.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

The front office sucked, but that doesn't excuse the atrocity that was Bobby Valentine's management.  He alienated his players and coaches, as well as the media and fanbase.  It was perhaps the worst managerial experience in Red Sox history.

The only other one that comes to mind is Joe Kerrigan and that wasn't a full season. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I was fully on board with trading a guy who seemed like a career 4th outfielder, and was behind Kalish as far as future outfielders, for a proven closer who was still under the teams control for a few years.

I was wrong. 

Even if Reddick falls back to earth (which I still expect), he has shown more than I ever expected him to, and they should have valued him more than they did.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 11:43:20 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I was fully on board with trading a guy who seemed like a career 4th outfielder, and was behind Kalish as far as future outfielders, for a proven closer who was still under the teams control for a few years.

I was wrong. 

Even if Reddick falls back to earth (which I still expect), he has shown more than I ever expected him to, and they should have valued him more than they did.

I think he still may be a 4th outfielder.  Yes he hit 32 HRs, very legit, but he also only hit 240 and had an OBP of 300.  If he can get the BA back up to 270 next year even at the expense of a few home runs, he'd be much more valuable. 
do it

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 12:07:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I was wrong. 

I think he still may be a 4th outfielder.  Yes he hit 32 HRs, very legit, but he also only hit 240 and had an OBP of 300.  If he can get the BA back up to 270 next year even at the expense of a few home runs, he'd be much more valuable.
Right, we can Ryan Kalish instead, who will also hit .240, and not bang home 32 dingers.

Let's just admit that management misevaluated talent once again (see Aceves and Bard for other examples), and move on.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I was wrong. 

He also might win a gold glove this year.  That plus 32 homers makes him an important player on a team that won its division, and not a 4th outfielder.

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 12:51:15 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
This is the 3rd Reddick that came to mind (didn't realize the tennis player is actually Andy Roddick) on who this thread could be about when I saw it.  And yes I know JJ spells his with only 1 d.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 01:04:04 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
32 home runs is pretty good, I never would have expected that much power, but Salti hit 25 hrs in only 70% or whatever of the games.  Over the long run, I am not sure Reddick is any better than Cody Ross.  Bailey was a total disappointment so it is hard to call this anything but a bad trade but I am not all that worked up about losing Josh Reddick.

We were also left hand hitting heavy so giving up Reddick and getting Ross help in that regard as well.

If Reddick goes on the average 30 hr a year for the next 5 years, then yeah, you can say "why on earth did the Sox let this guy go" but I am not there right now.

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 01:11:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
32 home runs is pretty good, I never would have expected that much power, but Salti hit 25 hrs in only 70% or whatever of the games.  Over the long run, I am not sure Reddick is any better than Cody Ross.  Bailey was a total disappointment so it is hard to call this anything but a bad trade but I am not all that worked up about losing Josh Reddick.

We were also left hand hitting heavy so giving up Reddick and getting Ross help in that regard as well.

If Reddick goes on the average 30 hr a year for the next 5 years, then yeah, you can say "why on earth did the Sox let this guy go" but I am not there right now.
Sure, but the team would look much better now if we could move Ross to left, have Reddick in right, and Bard closing. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 01:16:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Sure, but the team would look much better now if we could move Ross to left, have Reddick in right, and Bard closing. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

In what way does hindsight make you want to have Bard closing?  I get that he is not a good starter...but this season just proved to me that they were right to not trust him as a closer.  He is just not mentally strong enough.

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 01:17:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Is that the same group of players that stopped listening to Terry Francona and essentially got him fired?  The coaches that undermined Bobby V all season long and constantly went behind his back.

Look it was a bad season, but as an outsider and not a fan of the Red Sox, Bobby V was the least of that team's troubles.  The players stopped playing and gave up, the upper management made bad move after bad move, and it was an ill conceived coaching staff from the start. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 01:19:21 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

In what way does hindsight make you want to have Bard closing?  I get that he is not a good starter...but this season just proved to me that they were right to not trust him as a closer.  He is just not mentally strong enough.

Agreed, and not good enough either.  Just not enough control over his secondary pitches.  The fact that he had issues locating his fast ball this season does not bode well for his future either.
do it